Info for guided Elk Hunt

Huntinkev

FNG
My Dad and I are trying to get a rifle hunt lined up for this fall. My Dad is getting up in age and this will be a once in a lifetime trip for him and me but hopefully I can return later. We are from Tennessee and know nothing about Elk, except their big. We want a guide/location with the best chance at an opportunity. We are not looking for a Trophy as any decent, legal bull will be a trophy to us. The state doesn't matter so much, he has always dreamed of elk hunting in CO but that isn't a lock. We just want the best opportunity possible in a hunt he is capable of doing. He is getting up in age and out of shape so a very physically demanding hunt wouldn't be ideal. We know there will be hiking and climbing but would like to keep it to something a couple TN boys can handle. Probably looking at a cabin stay or wall tent with a short horseback ride to camp if that is what it takes.

I have talked to 2 outfitters in CO that both only have 4th rifle available. One is in GMU 15 with some private land available and the other is near Rangely near unit 21 and 30.

I guess my first question would be is the 4th rifle a good hunt in CO for opportunity?

Any recommendations for outfitters? I have a list from doing some research, some on here and some reading other places. My list contains about 30 outfitters from CO, NM, MO. There is just so many out there and I want this to be a good trip for my Dad.

Any and all advise is appreciated.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Based on the fact that's a once in a lifetime trip, then go on a private land, or "ranch" hunt as they call it, and give yourself and your Dad the best chance possible at having an opportunity. And then based on his physical limitations, put an exclamation point on what I just said.

Tommy71

FNG
USO offers a Private land hunt on the Floyd Lee Ranch in New Mexico. Lots of elk they are not huge but plentiful.

Gorp2007

WKR
People with more experience than me can chime in, but my family did a 4th season CO hunt up in the Flattops in 2017 and had very good success. Horses up to wall tents for camp then hiking to our hunting areas each morning. 7 hunters ages 16-60 and everyone had at least one excellent shooting opportunity. That being said, I think from year to year the weather can move those elk down so if it's truly once in a lifetime I'd recommend an outfitter that also has access to public land down low if you're set on 4th season CO.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget? Do you have to go this year? Planning a little farther out might open more possibilities.

Reactions: WCB

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
All I know is 4th Rifle Season in CO can be very good. Herd Mass Migration Time to the Feeding Grounds.

WCB

WKR
As above give us a budget...Once in a lifetime I would find some private ground lodge style hunt but not everyone can afford that.

Otherwise I have a recommendation on a MT outfitter in a high volume elk area....wall tents and 4 hr horse back ride to get to camp from the trail head. Usually take horse most the way in the morning and can either hunt on foot or sit and wait in travel corridors.

Once in a lifetime. High opportunity for an out of shape elderly hunter. That description has private land written all over it. You should focus on that and if it’s out of your price range you would do yourself some justice by waiting and saving until you can afford what you’re looking for. I can tell you that your requirements aren’t going to be met by shopping for a low cost elk hunt.

OP
H

Huntinkev

FNG
Budget is around $15,000 for the both of us. I had processing for 2 elk (hopefully) and the etcs in that. It's not set in stone but that was the figure I had in mind. Of course with all things, I would like to get the best bang for my buck and if I can save some money I would Iike that.

I would like this year if possible just due to him getting older but if we had to do next year we would have to.

By getting older, he's in his mid 60's so he's not THAT old but he us having some hip issues when we hunt around TN and walk a lot.

Last edited:

md126

WKR
Based on the fact that's a once in a lifetime trip, then go on a private land, or "ranch" hunt as they call it, and give yourself and your Dad the best chance possible at having an opportunity. And then based on his physical limitations, put an exclamation point on what I just said.

This x2. Absolutely pay the extra $$ and get on
private land, especially if this is a once in a lifetime hunt

Budget is around $15,000 for the both of us. I had processing for 2 elk (hopefully) and the etcs in that. It's not set in stone but that was the figure I had in mind. Of course with all things, I would like to get the best bang for my buck and if I can save some money I would Iike that.

I would like this year if possible just due to him getting older but if we had to do next year we would have to.

By getting older, he's in his mid 60's so he's not THAT old but he us having some hip issues when we hunt around TN and walk a lot.
Not knowing anything about guided elk hunts, I'm very interested to see if $15K would get you what you're looking for. I hope for the best for you and your Dad!

OP
H

Huntinkev

FNG
Not knowing anything about guided elk hunts, I'm very interested to see if $15K would get you what you're looking for. I hope for the best for you and your Dad!
Thanks. I'm not sure either and I may have to adjust it. I just figured around $5500 for guide, $400 for processing, $7-800 tip, $6-700 license each.

Brooks

WKR
If your father can’t quite handle the rough country and high elevation then get on a good, big, private ranch in NM and you probably won’t have to do a lot of hiking just get in the side by side with the guide and ride up the mountain. Find an outfitter that leases ranches with elk hunting.
I know a great ranch but they’re book out for a few years. I see guys that are in their seventies come out year after year. It’s tough, rouged country but not tough hunting because of it being private, they want you to kill a nice bull and come back next year.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I would check into ranch lands in central Montana, tons of elk on certain ranches and it’s mostly looks like easy hunting from the hunting shows I have watched. They can drive around and spot elk herds from the comfort of the truck and it appears to walk a mile or two and shoot “their” elk and back eating biscuits and gravy at the lodge by noon. There is a ton of elk on private land in region 4.

Where are you in TN? I know some reputable outfitters in NM (cow only), Idaho, MT, and Wyoming. If you’re close I can meet up with you and share some info.

OP
H

Huntinkev

FNG
Where are you in TN? I know some reputable outfitters in NM (cow only), Idaho, MT, and Wyoming. If you’re close I can meet up with you and share some info.
I'm in middle TN, close to Nashville. My Dad lives in East TN, Maryville.

For 15K total there are trips out there but will probably be for <300" bulls. You can look into SD Outfitters in Utah. They might be what you are looking for in your price range

Moose10

FNG
As above give us a budget...Once in a lifetime I would find some private ground lodge style hunt but not everyone can afford that.

Otherwise I have a recommendation on a MT outfitter in a high volume elk area....wall tents and 4 hr horse back ride to get to camp from the trail head. Usually take horse most the way in the morning and can either hunt on foot or sit and wait in travel corridors.
I don’t have enough messages to pm you yet but I would be interested in hearing about the MT outfitter. I am looking for a similar hunt for my dad and I.

OP
H

Huntinkev

FNG
I appreciate all the advice. I'm checking on a few that has been suggested and will keep watching for more.

I'm amazed at how much information you guys come up with.

It's so hard to decide because all these outfitters sound great and I know nothing of this type hunting, I'm dumb when it comes to West hunting. All I know is whitetail hunting from a tree in TN.