Info on Area 20 in Wyoming?

I was wondering if any of y'all have hunted antelope in unit 20? If so is it a good choice for a draw? Just looking to take one with my bow. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to be PM'd about the subject. Thanks

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
My wife's aunt owns 20 square miles in this unit so I am going to give it a try this year because tags are really easy to get. She has quite a few antelope on her property that stay year round and they haven't been hunted in 3 years so I have high hopes it will be good. I asked her about the surrounding areas and she said that a lot of it is private land and some chunks of the public land is tied up behind private. All the ranches around her sell hunts so I would suggest finding a ranch to get trespass permission on and you should do well. Since I haven't hunted out there yet I don't know the ins and outs but just looking at how easy it is to get tags, I would say its mostly private land owners and not easy to do a DIY public hunt. Hopefully someone else will chime in for you.

HOT ROD

WKR
What jr87mustang said... There is sum public land.. Not a hole lot.. U might be able to get it done with archery gear... If U decide to try rifle.. Skip the opener... That unit has a long season..........

bstockho

FNG
Leftover tags sold out pretty quickly last year. Not a lot of public land, but I haven't had a hard time finding them the last couple of years. Bucks aren't huge, game wardens were almost shocked to see my 14 1/4 buck last season. Saw two more that size, one on public and one just off. You may be able to get closer, but I've heard bow hunters say they are prepared to shoot 70 yards.

Jdoely

FNG
My wife's aunt owns 20 square miles in this unit so I am going to give it a try this year because tags are really easy to get. She has quite a few antelope on her property that stay year round and they haven't been hunted in 3 years so I have high hopes it will be good. I asked her about the surrounding areas and she said that a lot of it is private land and some chunks of the public land is tied up behind private. All the ranches around her sell hunts so I would suggest finding a ranch to get trespass permission on and you should do well. Since I haven't hunted out there yet I don't know the ins and outs but just looking at how easy it is to get tags, I would say its mostly private land owners and not easy to do a DIY public hunt. Hopefully someone else will chime in for you.

Sorry for bringing up an old post. Were you successful in unit 20 on this ground?

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Yes we were successful. Came home with 3 nice goats. There were hundreds of antelope on her property....most of the property around her place sell hunts and there is a small portion of public land near the ranch. As soon as the first gun went off they came poring in. I hate to say it but it was a tuff hunt because of all the eyes on you, never seen so many antelope in one spot. Nothin too big, saw a couple that were probably in the 70s but as we were just visiting the family we just took some decently nice ones. I didn't expect to shoot a booner, just thankful to get to visit a place like that. Had a blast and hope to get to go back.

Jdoely

FNG
Yes we were successful. Came home with 3 nice goats. There were hundreds of antelope on her property....most of the property around her place sell hunts and there is a small portion of public land near the ranch. As soon as the first gun went off they came poring in. I hate to say it but it was a tuff hunt because of all the eyes on you. Nothin too big, saw a couple that were probably in the 70s but as we were just visiting the family we just took some decently nice ones. I didn't expect to shoot a booner, just thankful to get to visit a place like that. Had a blast and hope to get to go back.
Very cool. Congrats on your success! My brother and I hunted unit 8 this year and were able to shoot a couple goats. It was our first time in Wyoming. The goats were nothing special, just average goats, but we had a lot of fun. We are both high school teachers from Iowa and a couple law abiding, land respecting sportsman. We chase a lot of whitetail and pheasant in Iowa while catching a lot of walleye. I am new to the forums and it says I can’t PM you until I’ve reached so many posts or else I would PM you. Do you think your aunt would be open to letting a couple teachers from Iowa pay her a tresspass fee to access her land? If not, I understand. Congrats again on your success!

Jdoely

FNG
Very cool. Congrats on your success! My brother and I hunted unit 8 this year and were able to shoot a couple goats. It was our first time in Wyoming. The goats were nothing special, just average goats, but we had a lot of fun. We are both high school teachers from Iowa and a couple law abiding, land respecting sportsman. We chase a lot of whitetail and pheasant in Iowa while catching a lot of walleye. I am new to the forums and it says I can’t PM you until I’ve reached so many posts or else I would PM you. Do you think your aunt would be open to letting a couple teachers from Iowa pay her a tresspass fee to access her land? If not, I understand. Congrats again on your success!

Jdoely

FNG
I better include a pic from our hunt this year... we actually doubled up at the same time. On the count of 3 type of thing...

Attachments

• 4F87DA5A-A123-47D8-82D4-0D9DAE837079.jpeg
    4F87DA5A-A123-47D8-82D4-0D9DAE837079.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 77
I’m thinking about going out to this unit next year (2020) for a antelope and deer in region Y. Anyone one see any deer while hunting antelope in this unit? Will not be looking for a monster just want to take a mule deer. The seasons line up so that’s the main reason I’m looking at this area.