Info on best budget bino’s

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the youtube video which compares 10 binos under $250. They also have follow up reviews of the Leupold BX-2 and the Carson BAK4

Sled

WKR
Thanks for all the help! I should have said a budget in my initial post. I would like to stay under $300 if possible. Hope this helps narrow the information.

Also, what power is recommended? I’ve always had 8x bino’s, but I see 10x are popular too.

The Leupold bx-2 Alpines peak my interest… And perhaps the Vortex and Nikon’s.

Again, without knowing what you're doing with them it's hard to recommend what power or objective size even.

Low power (8x) for handheld applications like whitetail and western still hunting. Higher power for supported use and wide open spaces.

Trial153

WKR
Thanks for all the help! I should have said a budget in my initial post. I would like to stay under $300 if possible. Hope this helps narrow the information.

Also, what power is recommended? I’ve always had 8x bino’s, but I see 10x are popular too.

The Leupold bx-2 Alpines peak my interest… And perhaps the Vortex and Nikon’s.

Go with dougs recommendation above. He won’t steer you in the wrong direction. Can’t go wrong with a purchase from him

Hoodie

WKR
Theron Questa HD-ED 8x42-$399

Athlon Cronus 8.5x42- $300

Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x42-$399

Sightron Blue Sky 8x32- $170

Last edited:

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Steiner predators 8x42, pretty amazing for around 350 I think. I've compared them to some waaay more expensive ones and I can't see any difference.

schmalzy

WKR
Another vote for Vanguard Endeavors for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeW

FNG
If I were you, I would buy a cheap pair of porro prism binoculars preferably lower power like the Kowa YF 6x30's for $100 or Leupold Yosemite which is the same thing, great glass btw. I would then keep the extra $200 and save for another year or two. Then I would start shopping for a quality used 10x42, 12x50 or even 15x swaro, ziess, or leica. Keep your eye out for a deal while continuing to save and when the stars align you'll have an awesome piece of glass that will last your lifetime. Also, if you do it this way then the $800-1400 dollar purchase of the used binocular essentially becomes it's own bank account and anytime you want to cash out, you can just sell them for what you paid for them or maybe take a very small loss.

This might sound difficult and yes it will take patience but it is completely worth it. When I think back on how many years I spent looking through cheap binoculars two painful things come to mind 1) All the animals I didn't know I was missing and 2) Literal headaches and eye fatigue from even a short 1 hour glassing session. but sometimes you've got to learn things the hard way, something I am trying to avoid more and more.

Oh and don't forget about budgeting in a tripod.

All this being said...

If you don't sit and spend hours glassing and maybe just use them to pull up and check things out while walking around or if there isn't any open country where you hunt and it's all timber, then go to a store and try out as many different pairs as you can within your $300 budget. Choose the pair that works the best for you.

Last edited:

Lwing

FNG
Whenever someone asks about budget optics , the first thing I tell them is never look through alpha glass. It will ruin you and make you poor.
Best cheap binos I ever saw were a company called zenray, believe out of business now, but see them around for not very much every now and then

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Maven C1’s. No contest over my diamondbacks and close to the vortex vipers I have looked thru. They do seem to have a narrower field of view though for what that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Really surprised there aren't more vortex recommendations. I can afford a lot more but actually prefer mine over much higher prices models. I used diamond backs for years and then picked up a pair of vipers on an extreme sale. Really hard to beat their glass imo for the price.

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

Lil-Rokslider
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Extremely wooded and varied terrain. Not a whole lot of long range viewing unless you’re situated on a summit or on top of a ridge and then you are still looking into the forest. I would guess an 8x would be just fine?

Sled

WKR
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Extremely wooded and varied terrain. Not a whole lot of long range viewing unless you’re situated on a summit or on top of a ridge and then you are still looking into the forest. I would guess an 8x would be just fine?

yep, use dougs link and get the 8.5x42 athlon's

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For under $300 I would go with the Nikon Monarch 5.
This week during our Founder's Birthday Sale through Sunday August 15th the Athlon Optics Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular is only $259.99
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up going with the Leupold bx-2 10x42. They are amazing glass for the price! Thanks to everyone who suggested their pick as it gave me a ton of choices to look at. Just couldn’t go wrong with the Leupold’s.