Information for Glenwood Spring, CO area?

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,

In mid-July I will be in for CO for a little bit and figured I would scout in the area around Glenwood Springs. I was hoping to bounce some ideas off someone who has hunted the area previously. I do not have a tag, and I will not be looking to get a tag till at least next year (or possibly later). I am planning on looking at 444. I have zero interest in taking or visiting someone else's spot (knowingly anyway), but will share information with someone if I see anything worth a darn. I may just be x-ing a spot off the map, who knows.

So as for questions,

Snow should be pretty much non-existent by then right? Even at elevation? What is the weather like up high then? Are NF roads typically clear by then, and is there usually any flooding issues? Last summer I worked near Augusta, MT and had a lot of access issues because of roads washing out. Never really thought it would be that big of an issue until then.

I have some more questions, but would rather share specifics over PM, so if anyone would be willing to talk further, shoot me a message.

Thanks!

Edit for anyone searching this topic, I was unable to backpack in like I had planned, but was able to drive around a bit. Cool looking country. May be better talking to someone with more experience in the area for better tips, however.

Last edited:
We’re at like 190% snow right now vs last year, last year my trails were dry to elevation this year I can’t even get out of the trailheads yet due to mud and snow, 444 has a different set up for tags now so check into that as well. A large chunk of Basalt mountain burned in 2018, 12,500 acres went up on 444.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
A few of the other members of my fire department and I are headed to glenwood for the south canyon anniversary never even considered the possibility of snow or mud on the trail! Last year it was 101*F when we got back to the trailhead!

A few of the other members of my fire department and I are headed to glenwood for the south canyon anniversary never even considered the possibility of snow or mud on the trail! Last year it was 101*F when we got back to the trailhead!

I think our high has been 45 the last few days, I haven’t been to glenwood in a few days their weather is a little different but this was yesterday morning in Redstone.
f7ce36125cb6a8b71382071a912431de.jpg

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
The
I think our high has been 45 the last few days, I haven’t been to glenwood in a few days their weather is a little different but this was yesterday morning in Redstone.
f7ce36125cb6a8b71382071a912431de.jpg

The anniversary isn’t until a couple weeks before the OP will be in the area so hopefully conditions improve greatly before then, but I’ll still climb the mountain either way I’d spose.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
We’re at like 190% snow right now vs last year, last year my trails were dry to elevation this year I can’t even get out of the trailheads yet due to mud and snow, 444 has a different set up for tags now so check into that as well. A large chunk of Basalt mountain burned in 2018, 12,500 acres went up on 444.

Dang that is crazy. How did the deer herd in the area manage? Thanks for the heads up on the draw change.

Mattt

Lil-Rokslider
White House pizza u gotta go, not far from the springs. Love the area around redstone.

Mason326

FNG
White House is great! Definitely check it out. Don't have experience in 44 directly but very nearby. Always had luck seeing muleys in WRNF anywhere I could actually see the ground in this area. Dang hard to get in a spot where you have both elevation for coverage and open enough vegetation to see anything. Check around for fires, oak brush, timber thinning, things like that where you get a little better feed and visibility. Always had a hard time locating good bucks though in later 2nd/3rd seasons, but don't think I completely had things figured out yet and was splitting time chasing elk.

Not sure how snow cover will be this year. If you get up at elevation there will likely still be some here and there. Just come prepared for whatever CO is known to throw at you haha... When I drove up to Loveland from TX one July to check out where I was moving to, we saw literally every kind of weather but a hurricane on the drive (sunny, wind storm, dust storm, rain, thunderstorm, sun shower, tornado, sleet, hail, and snow).

Codyk315

FNG
Hello everyone,

In mid-July I will be in for CO for a little bit and figured I would scout in the area around Glenwood Springs. I was hoping to bounce some ideas off someone who has hunted the area previously. I do not have a tag, and I will not be looking to get a tag till at least next year (or possibly later). I am planning on looking at 444. I have zero interest in taking or visiting someone else's spot (knowingly anyway), but will share information with someone if I see anything worth a darn. I may just be x-ing a spot off the map, who knows.

So as for questions,

Snow should be pretty much non-existent by then right? Even at elevation? What is the weather like up high then? Are NF roads typically clear by then, and is there usually any flooding issues? Last summer I worked near Augusta, MT and had a lot of access issues because of roads washing out. Never really thought it would be that big of an issue until then.

I have some more questions, but would rather share specifics over PM, so if anyone would be willing to talk further, shoot me a message.

Thanks!

Skyhigh did you end up hunting that unit? I have that tag this year and it will be my first high country hunt. Was going to see what you thought of the area and any pointers if you are willing to share.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Skyhigh did you end up hunting that unit? I have that tag this year and it will be my first high country hunt. Was going to see what you thought of the area and any pointers if you are willing to share.

This post was just from this spring. I will be out there this weekend actually for the trip I was talking about. I would definitely be happy to share any info I find when I am out there. I should be back sometime around this time next week (7/17). If you wanna shoot me a PM I can talk about where I was planning on going and whatnot.

Codyk315

FNG
My bad, I looked at the totally wrong date!! I was scrolling through in a hurry and not paying attention.
Sounds good!!