Information on elk points (and questions)

Refund

FNG
I've been trying to figure out what states to hunt/invest in and I have compiled a short list. I live on the east cost and I basically selected the four closest states to research.

I figured that this information may be helpful to others and I've already received so much assistance here that I thought that I would share my research and try to contribute. I believe after some consideration that the states that I'm going to invest in are Wyoming and Montana.

If anybody would like to provide information on other states, offer any advice, correct any of the following information, etc. please let me know and I'll gladly edit this post for future reference and benefit of myself and others.

Wyoming
Purchase points July 1 to October 31 (points expire after 10 years of inactivity)
https://wgfapps.wyo.gov/elsapplication/ELSWelcome.aspx - (307) 777-4600

$52 for elk preference point
$41 for deer preference point
$10 Super Tags - raffles for tag

Montana
Purchase points July 1-September 30 (Bonus points do not expire until you draw and preference points expire after 3 years of inactivity)
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/drawings/bonusPoints.html - (406) 444-2950

Doesn't seem like you need preference points for general hunting tags unless you want a combo tag (ie: deer/elk) and generally take 1 preference point to draw.

Preference points move you up in line for a general hunting tag for state wide hunting in any OPEN unit--bonus points are irrelevant to draw the general tag.

Bonus points improve chances of getting a limited entry tag in a specific unit. You must draw a general hunting tag before having an opportunity to draw a limited entry tag. If you draw a limited entry tag you are LOCKED IN to that specific unit and can't hunt anywhere else. Bonus points are squared when drawn (1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36)

11 weeks of hunting with one tag, good for both bow and rifle.

Preference Points $50 and Bonus Points $25

Colorado
Purchase points around March/April (seems to differ) and closes before draw - OTC tags available after draws (points expire in 10 years)
https://www.cpwshop.com/purchaseprivilege.page - (800) 244-5613

CO has the largest numbers of elk, however lots of people state that hunting pressure can be massive. People invest in large amount of points and still don't draw desirable units.

May be best to not invest in points and do OTC/leftover hunts with expectations of running into lots of pressure.

Draw for Elk Preference is $9 and qualifying small game tag ~$80 required to purchase points

Utah
Purchase points January 30 - March 19
https://www.utah-hunt.com/(S(oxftry3m3rnniobqqvyfwyiu))/default.aspx - (801) 538-4700

Preference and bonus points, basically works the same as Montana without squaring of bonus points.

Distribution of licenses seems to be limited, lots of people with multiple points seem to have difficulty drawing.

$10 for elk bonus point
----------------------------------------

Here come the questions!

In regards to Montana bonus points; what is the difference between ELK B BONUS POINT and ELK PERMIT BONUS POINT?

Can anybody speak from experience and confirm the above information, should I invest in a preference point in Montana if I'm trying to draw an elk tag? The information I found in regards was a few years old from the sources. I'm not interested in combo points at this time, trying to take two animals in a 3-6 days of hunting seems like a little much. I figured that I would get 1 preference point and then accumulate bonus points for elk and black tail in MT.

Does anybody know how drawing as a group works in Montana or Wyoming as far as points are concerned? As an example, if I have 2 points and try to draw with a friend that has 0 points, will the points be averaged or will they go off of the lowest number in the "party"? Another question I have is if I draw with a friend with 0 points and it's successful, will I lose my points if the party's points were averaged to 0?

Last edited:
Wyoming will average your preference points for a group app and to my knowledge they don't expire per say, but you lose them all if you don't apply for 2 consecutive years. . . I know nothing of Montana.

sndmn11

WKR
OP
R

Refund

FNG

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to figure out what states to hunt/invest in and I have compiled a short list. I live on the east cost and I basically selected the four closest states to research.

Thanks for putting this together Refund! Also as an Easterner, the western hunting game can be daunting. But as Corey Jacobson said it, " We are all non-residents in 49 states". I'm just beginning to have a some long term hunting goals and have only done CO elk OTC once.

Yes if you want a Montana general tag for elk next year you should definitely buy the point. I applied with my Dad with a point this year and we did not draw. If you buy a point now and a point on your application next year you should be good to go however.

Wish I would have started this 10 years ago when there were leftover tags! We ended up hunting OTC Colorado this year and our group took down our first bulls, extremely rewarding after all the time and effort I have put in!

OP
R

Refund

FNG
Yes if you want a Montana general tag for elk next year you should definitely buy the point. I applied with my Dad with a point this year and we did not draw. If you buy a point now and a point on your application next year you should be good to go however.

Wish I would have started this 10 years ago when there were leftover tags! We ended up hunting OTC Colorado this year and our group took down our first bulls, extremely rewarding after all the time and effort I have put in!

That's awesome man, congratulations! I hope pops was there to share the experience.

johnsd16

WKR
Elk B points are for cow tags. No blacktail in MT. The elk permit is for limited entry hunts you can’t use your general tag for. Those are bonus points not preference points. The preference points are the same for all the general tags, not different for deer, elk and deer/elk. I’m no elk expert but the idea of killing an elk in 3-6 days of hunting is also a tall order.

I figured that this information may be helpful to others and I've already received so much assistance here that I thought that I would share my research and try to contribute. I believe after some consideration that the states that I'm going to invest in are Wyoming and Montana.

If anybody would like to provide information on other states, offer any advice, correct any of the following information, etc. please let me know and I'll gladly edit this post for future reference and benefit of myself and others.

Wyoming
Purchase points July 1 to October 31 (points expire after 10 years of inactivity)
https://wgfapps.wyo.gov/elsapplication/ELSWelcome.aspx - (307) 777-4600

$52 for elk preference point
$41 for deer preference point
$10 Super Tags - raffles for tag

Montana
Purchase points July 1-September 30 (Bonus points do not expire until you draw and preference points expire after 3 years of inactivity)
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/drawings/bonusPoints.html - (406) 444-2950

Doesn't seem like you need preference points for general hunting tags unless you want a combo tag (ie: deer/elk) and generally take 1 preference point to draw.

Preference points move you up in line for a general hunting tag for state wide hunting in any OPEN unit--bonus points are irrelevant to draw the general tag.

Bonus points improve chances of getting a limited entry tag in a specific unit. You must draw a general hunting tag before having an opportunity to draw a limited entry tag. If you draw a limited entry tag you are LOCKED IN to that specific unit and can't hunt anywhere else. Bonus points are squared when drawn (1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36)

11 weeks of hunting with one tag, good for both bow and rifle.

Preference Points $50 and Bonus Points $25

Colorado
Purchase points around March/April (seems to differ) and closes before draw - OTC tags available after draws (points expire in 10 years)
https://www.cpwshop.com/purchaseprivilege.page - (800) 244-5613

CO has the largest numbers of elk, however lots of people state that hunting pressure can be massive. People invest in large amount of points and still don't draw desirable units.

May be best to not invest in points and do OTC/leftover hunts with expectations of running into lots of pressure.

Draw for Elk Preference is $9 and qualifying small game tag ~$80 required to purchase points

Utah
Purchase points January 30 - March 19
https://www.utah-hunt.com/(S(oxftry3m3rnniobqqvyfwyiu))/default.aspx - (801) 538-4700

Preference and bonus points, basically works the same as Montana without squaring of bonus points.

Distribution of licenses seems to be limited, lots of people with multiple points seem to have difficulty drawing.

$10 for elk bonus point
----------------------------------------

Here come the questions!

In regards to Montana bonus points; what is the difference between ELK B BONUS POINT and ELK PERMIT BONUS POINT?

Can anybody speak from experience and confirm the above information, should I invest in a preference point in Montana if I'm trying to draw an elk tag? The information I found in regards was a few years old from the sources. I'm not interested in combo points at this time, trying to take two animals in a 3-6 days of hunting seems like a little much. I figured that I would get 1 preference point and then accumulate bonus points for elk and black tail in MT.

Does anybody know how drawing as a group works in Montana or Wyoming as far as points are concerned? As an example, if I have 2 points and try to draw with a friend that has 0 points, will the points be averaged or will they go off of the lowest number in the "party"? Another question I have is if I draw with a friend with 0 points and it's successful, will I lose my points if the party's points were averaged to 0?

Your arriving to the 1849 gold rush in 1923.

But the outdoor marketing machine will gladly still take your money.

Brooks

WKR
Remember all those states can change their draw rules at will just like AZ did and that set me back about 10 years. Now 20 years later I still haven’t drawn an AZ elk tag. If I were to do it over again I would have just bought landowner tags.

WBrim

WKR
I know this original post is from 2020, but the Utah dates have since changed. This year was March 23- April 27 with additional point option dates in the summer