Inguinal hernia relief tips

Johnboy

WKR
I'm highly irritated right now. I found out last night that my AK float hunting partner has a hernia. He's had it for 6 months and never told me about it, never sought treatment. The only reason I found out is he grimaced when I went to give him a handshake yesterday. Our flight to Fairbanks leaves on 9/7, which is exactly 51 days from now. What's the likelihood the trip is a bust?

I'm highly irritated right now. I found out last night that my AK float hunting partner has a hernia. He's had it for 6 months and never told me about it, never sought treatment. The only reason I found out is he grimaced when I went to give him a handshake yesterday. Our flight to Fairbanks leaves on 9/7, which is exactly 51 days from now. What's the likelihood the trip is a bust?
It should be fine if he gets the surgery very soon. The risk of packing out a moose with an inginual hernia would be too great for me to risk it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

After my surgery, I needed about a month before I was doing any strenuous exercise and by strenuous I mean squatting the empty bar at the gym....I can’t imagine hauling moose quarters out of a swamp where you sink in with every step and climbing over deadfall with a hernia that had bee repaired a month earlier...

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Hate that, but if I were you I would be hustling to find another partner, and if I were him, I would be bowing out and getting a surgery lined up. Its downright foolish for him to do a moose hunt unless he has no plans of hauling a pack. Are you willing to carry everything by yourself while he watches?...you might come back with a hernia too!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Johnboy

WKR
I'm considering my options right now. Unfortunately, I think my freshly herniated pal is the only friend I have who has both the will and the means. This is depressing.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
walleyes

walleyes

FNG
I guess every case is different. I have had mine for a few years and last year packed my elk and mulie out solo and It never crossed my mind. Not looking for any sort of hero award or anything either. The most it has ever bothered me was running the hand stuffer making 500lbs of sausage. Standing in one spot with core engaged for a hour. After a 15 minute break was good for the rest of weekend.
I was just looking to be prepared if something did happen while I was out there what I could do for relief. This thread hasn’t prompted me to get it checked out by the dr. Next week. Also ordered on of the hernia belts to try and for peice of mind and will leave it camp. But still plan on heading to the NWT for my month.

GotDraw?

WKR
  • Make sure your backpack waist belt is centered on the illiac crest of your hip bones so your backpack load is carried by your pelvis.
  • If you are fat, then compressing your paunch to tighten your hip belt will cause pressure on your lower ab region and push your hernia out when your pack belt is tightened.
  • If you are fat, you will not be able to adequately tighten your pack belt on your illiac crest due to muffin-top-itis and this might make you carry your belt too high, also compressing your gut lower.
  • If fat, get thin so your hip belt bears on your illiac crest w/o compressing your gut and forcing your intestines out.
  • Get and learn to use trekking poles to take load off, particularly when descending.
Sorry to be blunt.

Try a truss, can't hurt.

I too am getting surgery-- after the season.

JL

OP
walleyes

walleyes

FNG
Overweight is not my problem. I am in the small percent of guys that have to eat like crazy to keep over 160lb and 6 feet tall. Thankfully wearing a pack has never bothered the hernia much but that is probly why I am putting the surgery off.