Inhereted a singer - beginner project suggestions welcome

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy all, hope everyone had a good Christmas and is in good health. I've inherited an old singer sewing machine (this thing weight like 40 pounds) and i am super excited to up my DIY game. Ive done some simple stitching repairs by hand but my goal is to eventually make a custom bag for my duplex.

Looking for ideas for beginner projects that yall would recommend getting started. I was thinking some fleece dump pouches or maybe modifying some gear i already have. Any other interesting ideas?

CB1

FNG
Zippered pouches were my first projects. Super useful and you can make them any size you want. Saw a pattern on ripstopbytheroll projects.

hjcruger

FNG
There are a lot of fun projects to get started. My first project was making rags with roll hems out a spent flannel. Making dry bags is also an easy project once you're comfortable with the machine that will save you a lot of money compared to buying retail. Here's a video walking through that process. My first real project was a silpoly tarp. That will get you familiar with a couple hems and seams (I used triple-stitched flat felled seams) and produces a super functional product that doesn't have to look particularly pretty. I can't remember the technical name for it, but I also made a rolling compression sack (an open top bag with two straps running the length of the bag that clip and tighten around the sack when it is rolled).

What you should focus on is familiarizing yourself with the machine and some basic hems and seams (e.g., box-X stitch, roll hem, flat-felled seam, bar tacks). Like any tool and construction process, once you understand the basics, you will be able to visualize and sew anything you want without a rigid set of instructions. If you plan to sew any low denier nylons or polys, I'd also recommend getting a walking foot. It'll make a world of difference when working with slick fabrics.

OP
Hardly_Hangin

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of fun projects to get started. My first project was making rags with roll hems out a spent flannel. Making dry bags is also an easy project once you're comfortable with the machine that will save you a lot of money compared to buying retail. Here's a video walking through that process. My first real project was a silpoly tarp. That will get you familiar with a couple hems and seams (I used triple-stitched flat felled seams) and produces a super functional product that doesn't have to look particularly pretty. I can't remember the technical name for it, but I also made a rolling compression sack (an open top bag with two straps running the length of the bag that clip and tighten around the sack when it is rolled).

What you should focus on is familiarizing yourself with the machine and some basic hems and seams (e.g., box-X stitch, roll hem, flat-felled seam, bar tacks). Like any tool and construction process, once you understand the basics, you will be able to visualize and sew anything you want without a rigid set of instructions. If you plan to sew any low denier nylons or polys, I'd also recommend getting a walking foot. It'll make a world of difference when working with slick fabrics.
Good feedback, thank you!

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
First thing I would do is download the manual from singer. Them clean and oil it.

After that do some stitching on scraps without trying to make something. Then it doesn't matter if it's straight or not. It will help you learn the settings and setting tensions in different fabrics without ruining anything you are trying to make. It will also let you know if the machine needs a tune up or not.

Then do what you want. No need to start "simple" if you don't want to. Just try stuff....

laclement

FNG
I’m not a pro yet by any means. I picked up an old singer about 4 months ago. The easiest thing I’ve found is to mimic things you already have around. I’ve made a couple of collars for my dog. A roll top dry bag. Several different styles and sizes of zippered bag. A knock off of a seek outside talon. Rangefinder pouch. A pals chest rig. Rip stop by the roll has instructions for their diy projects they sell. You can check those out to get an idea of the process. The hardest part is figuring out the order of operations so you don’t leave something off. And buy 2nds or remnant fabric. I’d say the best thing to start with is a zippered pouch in cordura.

Squirrels

WKR
Howdy all, hope everyone had a good Christmas and is in good health. I've inherited an old singer sewing machine (this thing weight like 40 pounds) and i am super excited to up my DIY game. Ive done some simple stitching repairs by hand but my goal is to eventually make a custom bag for my duplex.

Looking for ideas for beginner projects that yall would recommend getting started. I was thinking some fleece dump pouches or maybe modifying some gear i already have. Any other interesting ideas?
Don't use fleece for your dump pouches starting out. Most fleece stretches alot and will frustrate you starting out. Stretch fabrics are a different animal. I'd suggest getting some cordura of ebay and for your first couple little experimental projects. It's an ideal fabric to get started on. But as others have said, clean and oil the machine first and then just throw some stitching on scrap fabrics around the house playing with needles sizes and tension adjustments to get an understanding of what changes do and how it affects your stitching.

OP
Hardly_Hangin

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Well after much trial and error getting my machine figured out, a few hours of brainstorming and a trip to Michael's, i thought id make a follow up post on my creations

This is my simple draw string bag, and a pic of my singer machineScreenshot_20220116-141043_Gallery.jpg

The next thing i made was a mosh posh bacalava. I screwed up the eye holes, but im super proud my machine could even sew this material. There are 2 inner layers of fleece, and an outer shell of duck canvasScreenshot_20220116-141049_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220116-141054_Gallery.jpg