Initial Ascent Backpack Member Review Opportunity

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just launched this on our EXPO thread, but for you guys who don't follow it, I wanted to get it on here, too. Great opportunity for some serious Rokslide backpacker. Here it is:

OK Fellas, I teased out a review opportunity earlier in the EXPO thread. It's with Initial Ascent Backpacks. Les Welch put their Gen1 4K bag through the paces last fall in this review here

He liked the pack but came back to IA with some suggestions for improvement. Along with some input from a few of you guys, IA implemented those changes in their new Gen2 bag, officially released today.

Les will be reviewing that Gen2 bag this spring but I worked with IA to pull in an additional reveiwer from our most knowledgable/experienced Rokslide members. Yip, that's how much I believe in some of you guys. In six+ years of running this joint, I've learned that some of our members are very hard-core/knowledgable hunters who bring a whole new angle to gear we test. Now don't embarrass me! :)

So with that in mind, we'll be selecting one member to run the IA Backpack with the new Gen2 4K bag for some spring hunts and submit a review by early June to be published, along side Les's review, later that same month.

THIS IS NOT A CONTEST OR A GIVEAWAY, but a search for the best man (or woman) for the job.

If you think you might be the right fit for the review, there are two videos below that you need to watch. The first is the upgrades in the Gen2, and the second is the Review Oppourtunity video explaining who/what we're looking for. After watching both videos, you can enter at the link below with a 200-or-less word essay on why you'd be the person for the review. Serious applicants only. Rokslide reviews require work, in-the-field real-world testing, and an ability to commincate that work through various media.
Be sure you're up to the task before entering. We'll choose our reviewer right around March 1 and then send the bag out. The link to submit your entry essay is at the bottom of this post.

Here is the link to enter. Initial Ascent/Rokslide Review
Be sure and read the additional entry info/future opportunity info there.

colersu22

WKR
This is a cool opportunity for someone, I don’t quite meet the criteria with a little one on the way in a couple weeks and do not know how much time I will be spending in the woods this spring. Good luck to everyone that enters and I’m excited to read the review from Les and the Rokslide member when it is out.

I’ll be interested to hear the review as well, I’ve put my hands in a friend of mines 1st generation pack, loaded it with 130lbs of sand bags and wore it for a bit. It was amazing how solid it held that amount of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
We’ll see what they think of the essay I submit tomorrow morning. I’ll be on Kodiak for my brothers spring brown bear tag, I still have an archery brown bear tag to fill here locally and I’m going to try to get my youngest a grizz.

Btaylor

WKR
Guessing I dont fit the profile either being an eastern guy with no big game hunts for this spring. Turkey hunts and some hike in fishing would be about the best I could offer other than the things Les will already be doing.

Thanks for the question. We have one frame size with six different levels of adjustment utilizing our 3-point locking system. We also have 3 levels of load lifter adjustment as well.

I watched the video, but didn’t notice, is the waist belt still outward pull or did it change to inward pull for tightening?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got to check this pack out today. They quickly adjusted it loaded up 50lbs and threw it on my back. Honestly I was surprised at how impressed with this pack I was. Belt felt great the whole duration of the couple laps around I took. I look forward to following the reviews on this pack.
78b54233f373f2afe7a22fd08ae70449.jpg
looks tiny in day pack mode.
Here is a pretty awesome accessory pack for the water fowl hunter. If you've ever packed decoys any distance you'll really appreciate the amazing comfort this offers.
507ac569ef03cbe7531a022716f69f99.jpg

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the question. We have one frame size with six different levels of adjustment utilizing our 3-point locking system. We also have 3 levels of load lifter adjustment as well.

Very helpful to know. I’m 6’2-6’3 (back surgery means I’ve lost probably half an inch off my 6’3 frame) with equal length legs and torso. I’m looking for a pack that will fit me and also allow me to carry heavy weights without damaging my lower back where I had surgery.

Team Initial Ascent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We would be able to fit you no problem. I have lower back problems as well and our system is phenomenal at protecting my issue. Our lumbar pad is perfect and the most comfortable on the market in our opinion. Please let us know if we can answer any questions.

Robby,
I’ve got at least 2 spring bear backpack hunts planned for this year and more than a few summer trips depending on how long you want the review to last. I’m also in the market for a new pack for the wife. More than willing to put it through the paces and see how it stacks up. I’d give the wife my kifaru for the spring and I’d run the IA pack. Let me know

Mike

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,
I’ve got at least 2 spring bear backpack hunts planned for this year and more than a few summer trips depending on how long you want the review to last. I’m also in the market for a new pack for the wife. More than willing to put it through the paces and see how it stacks up. I’d give the wife my kifaru for the spring and I’d run the IA pack. Let me know

Mike

Mike, that all sounds good, get your entry in at the link in the op. Thanks man

JWP58

WKR
Interesting design, I'm intrigued. Looks thicker (stronger) than other carbon frames out there, while still being light. Very cool opportunity they're offering a rokslider.

Safe to say these are glory days of backpack gear.

Last edited:

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
We would be able to fit you no problem. I have lower back problems as well and our system is phenomenal at protecting my issue. Our lumbar pad is perfect and the most comfortable on the market in our opinion. Please let us know if we can answer any questions.
Thanks. As soon as my leg heals from my current knee surgery (ski accident) I’ll try one out. And trust d, if it has any failure point I’ll find it! 👍. I always break everything I buy....even unbrekabsle stuff!

Team Initial Ascent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Rokslide members, time is running out to submit your application for the Initial Ascent backpack review opportunity. The last day to submit your application is this Friday, March 1st. Please click on the link below to fill out your application:
Initial Ascent/Rokslide Review
We will announce the winner prior to March 15th. Thank you Rokslide members!!
Joe
Initial Ascent

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys today's the last day to utilize this opportunity to work with the great guys at Initial Ascent. With my spring schedule it was long shot but I had to throw my application in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: