Initial Ascent review and thread

slick

WKR
I seem to remember a give away on Rokslide where the winner agreed to do a review after receiving the product. If you could get all individuals who sign up to commit to do so, that could be beneficial.

Or if they have a demo pack they are willing to send to 5 different guys for a couple weeks each- would be a good way to get some positive (or not so) feedback.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
68550411d9bfe89dd41383e16b386bfb.jpg

Doing work in WI, it was a good morning here today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
How tall is the frame compared to a kifaru with 24” or 26” stays? I keep seeing these guys on Instagram and thought the bag looked similar to the EXO. The carbon frame with the hooks in the top seem like a great addition to a rifle sling like they just posted about. I would love to try one out and compare it with a couple Kifaru’s and an EXO if they do a giveaway.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is it compared to one of the Big 4. The bag layout seems very similar to Exo

In 100% honesty I’ve never run an EXO. All the packs have their perks. The IA has some new features unique to them. Will highlight them in the review.

It’s very comfy. Hauls weight well.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
How tall is the frame compared to a kifaru with 24” or 26” stays? I keep seeing these guys on Instagram and thought the bag looked similar to the EXO. The carbon frame with the hooks in the top seem like a great addition to a rifle sling like they just posted about. I would love to try one out and compare it with a couple Kifaru’s and an EXO if they do a giveaway.

I’m not home right now. Let me post pics this afternoon.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
fe39d94aa91049f79f825162c4a890ca.jpg

e42f66ddec7e08293e68917e9bc91ec8.jpg

Kifaru Muskeg 26” frame for comparison. These two packs are the exact same height. Both are also bloody as all get out!!

colersu22

WKR
Thanks for posting those pics Les, can you adjust the torso length individually like the kifaru or is it like an EXO where the whole shoulder harness moves?

I know Wilderness Attitude Podcast runs those IA packs and he said he likes them. I’m wondering what they are gonna put out for 2019. I hope they add more bags to the lineup. That’s one thing nice about Kifaru they have a extensive lineup. I’m still learning as go so I like too learn about all the options and other brands out there

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting those pics Les, can you adjust the torso length individually like the kifaru or is it like an EXO where the whole shoulder harness moves?

b9b2787af5aa116543b63376df25d7b6.jpg

The whole shoulder system moves. It literally takes about 45 seconds. Very simple. 6 possible height adjustments.

Looks promising. Gonna check their social media platforms for additional info. I definitely think a giveaway pack would be a great PR spot on this forum and generate interest. I'm always happy to give new products a whirl if they are desiring feedback.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Les, what do you think about the durability of the frame? I am curious about all those carbon "tabs" that stick off the main part of the frame. Do you think there is a risk of them breaking off?

Just read the review. The only thing that bothers me is the carbon tabs. I’m sure they are plenty strong but I’d be worried about the snapping off in the field.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
Really good review from Les. Sounds like something I wouldn’t mind trying out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read the review. The only thing that bothers me is the carbon tabs. I’m sure they are plenty strong but I’d be worried about the snapping off in the field.

Well I can say IA put 14 versions through testing. I only put the version they settled on through the ringer. I know that a 120#+ load didn’t even put a twist to it. I don’t think anyone will be breaking one under any circumstances, much less normal use.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les, what do you think about the durability of the frame? I am curious about all those carbon "tabs" that stick off the main part of the frame. Do you think there is a risk of them breaking off?

Justin, I don’t see it as an issue. We tested it pretty hard. Heavy loads didn’t even twist the frame. I don’t think there will be any problems.