Initial Burn On New SO Stove

Voyageur

WKR
It's been a long time since I've burned in a new stove. In fact last time I did it was with a stainless steel stove. Titanium was not even an option.
Some random questions I've come up with:
Is it necessary to flip the pipe and do a second burn? (7.5' pipe)
Is slight warping on the long sides of the stove normal?
Any other tips and tricks guys have picked up?
Thanks.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I like to flip my pipe so it's more even but I don't think it huts anything being lopsided. Unless you like permanent blue finger prints all over the stove you should wipe it down with some mineral spirits.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
When we did our burn in, we wore gloves during assembly and during the start of the burn to avoid the dreaded fingerprints. I never flipped the pipe but it seems like a good idea. Don’t recall there being any warping on the sides

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Following as I get my first SO stove in a few days.

Clarence

WKR
Latex gloves and wipe it down with acetone or mineral spirits. This just makes it look nice, but finger prints won't hurt anything. You made the investment, might as well have it look cool in your photos!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
7.5' pipe I probably wouldn't worry about flipping the pipe. Just get the fire hot enough to color the Ti in the pipe to ensure a good heat set.

Don't tighten the nuts too much. The metal will expand and if you have them too tight it'll cause warping.

Ditto fingerprints. Unless (like me) you have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. In that case you can get their handprints on the stove before you burn it and they'll be there forever.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
7.5' pipe I probably wouldn't worry about flipping the pipe. Just get the fire hot enough to color the Ti in the pipe to ensure a good heat set.

Don't tighten the nuts too much. The metal will expand and if you have them too tight it'll cause warping.

Ditto fingerprints. Unless (like me) you have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. In that case you can get their handprints on the stove before you burn it and they'll be there forever.
Members with young kids take note of RockChucker's last paragraph regarding fingerprints...pure gold.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with lite outdoors regarding proper break in on their stove. I quickly learned it only takes a 15 minute burn in and there is no need to flip the pipe or burn it without the pipe or anything else like that. Just burn it hot for 15 minutes and your golden.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR

Genius idea on the hand prints! That is awesome man.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a new stove to burn in. Thinking about spraying hands down with pam or something to make them oilier. Will see if that works and report back.

I don’t worry about any little kinks or warped areas. After a number of burns it’s going to look like you beat it with a stick anyways.
This. The critical thing is, does it leak? If not, then it is good. Won't look new for long. Personally I love the look of well used gear. No safe or closet dwellers, just well used kit.

cooper42

FNG

Dang that’s a pretty good idea in the last paragraph!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. I'm on the market for a stove and I had no idea about the fingerprints thing. That's just on the first burn that you have to worry about that?

prm

WKR
I’ve been running a Ti stove for many years. An old EdT model. Don’t worry about any prints, it will get beat up and stained to where you won’t even notice!