Injured: looking for bolt recommendations for crossbow

Brix8984

WKR
Well I have a NM unit 34 early archery tag that I am pretty excited about. Unfortunately over the weekend I had an accident that mangled up my left hand pretty bad and I will have to have surgery to repair fractured metacarpals this week. Shooting my vertical bow on this hunt is probably not gonna happen. I have contacted nmdgf and got the paperwork needed for a crossbow exemption. With that said what total weight would you recommend on a crossbow bolt? I’ll shoot iron will broadheads but am open to recommendations on all other components. Thanks for your help.
Eric

Clarence

WKR
What is your current bow/bolt/broadhead setup? Are scopes legal there? What sight are you thinking, and how far are you wanting you're effective range? Good thinking on setting the wheels in motion for a alternate plan. Take care and get well!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
What crossbow are you going to use? Heavier bolts are going to be your friend on elk. You tied to Iron Wills? I would see what shoots best out of your setup before I stated what I was going to use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Brix8984

Brix8984

WKR
What is your current bow/bolt/broadhead setup? Are scopes legal there? What sight are you thinking, and how far are you wanting you're effective range? Good thinking on setting the wheels in motion for a alternate plan. Take care and get well!

I have a Stryker solution 390 with a Hawke scope. I’m shootings black eagle executioners but I figured I’d want them around 550 grns and I’m just not sure how to get there.

I was shooting an 80lb impulse 34 with 530grn setup.

just wanna make sure I’m heavy enough.

OP
Brix8984

Brix8984

WKR
What crossbow are you going to use? Heavier bolts are going to be your friend on elk. You tied to Iron Wills? I would see what shoots best out of your setup before I stated what I was going to use.

Stryker solution 390 crossbow. I shoot iron wills on the vertical and I would be super surprised if there crossbow broadheads don’t shoot as they are one of the best broadheads manufacturers imho. Really just wondering how people are getting enough weight on there setups especially withought having a super high foc.

Clarence

WKR
Go over that Stryker with a fine tooth comb. Limbs, pockets and head. They are awesome when they stay together and behave.

Clarence

WKR
I believe Raven bolts are 400gr out of the package. 125gr head, and a lighted knock, should be pretty close to your goal. Not sure who is making them for Raven. Looks like they use a pretty short vane. They should be pretty widely available.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should give the guys at Borkholder Archery a call. They are crossbow gurus. My cousin has bought several from them, including a new Ravin 29X. I know that out of it they do not recommend any fixed blade heads. They also sell custom bolts, and they recommended a 480gr bolt out of that Ravin. Went from 450fps to 425 but it has 193 ft lbs of KE. Your Stryker isn't hitting those kind of speeds so it may change head recommendations. There are very few fixed heads that fly great out of crossbows. Those guys at Borkholder have tried most of them to see what shoots the best so hit them up. The Scorpyd he has shoots Muzzy HBXs, and his Mission shoots those and the WacEm Tritons.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They do NOT recommend using a lighted nock, even though they sell them. Accuracy really suffers with a lighted nock out of the faster crossbows. They sell the custom bolts from Firenock but they don't even recommend using the Firenock lighted nocks on them. Those guys are straight shooters they won't try and sell you anything you don't want or need.

WKR
Great info! I have a lower power crossbow (Excalibur 340 TD), but my arrow weight is 440 grains travelling in the 320's fps. I have zero concern about its efficiency in killing an elk. I will shoot mechanical, likely Sevr or Rage.