Inline Legal in MT Weapons Restricted Areas?

treillw

WKR
I've heard two different answers from two different people at FWP. Not sure who to believe. Are inline muzzleloaders legal in weapons restricted areas? Info to back it up?

Thanks!

Looks like this was just passed in sept and is effective for the dec 21 muzzleloader season.
Yes an inline could be legal but it would have to me percussion cap or musket cap.

No 209.
No sabot of any kind.
Screenshot_20211101-130729_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211101-130729_Chrome.jpg

hobbes

WKR
Inline looks fine in weapons restriction area provided it's loaded down the barrel.
Page 25 of deer, elk, antelope reg booklet:
Screenshot_20211101-140717.png

cgasner1

WKR
Looks like this was just passed in sept and is effective for the dec 21 muzzleloader season.
Yes an inline could be legal but it would have to me percussion cap or musket cap.

No 209.
No sabot of any kind.
View attachment 342259
View attachment 342259

Pretty sure the inline is illegal the way it reads can’t be inserted into a open ignition. During a normal
Rifle season with short range restrictions I’d bet it is legal though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the inline is illegal the way it reads can’t be inserted into a open ignition. During a normal
Rifle season with short range restrictions I’d bet it is legal though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They make several inlines that are considered open ignition.

hobbes

WKR
Looks like to me the inline is illegal in the new muzzleloader season but not illegal in a weapons restrictions district during the general season, same as cgasner1 said.

Looks like to me the inline is illegal in the new muzzleloader season but not illegal in a weapons restrictions district during the general season, same as cgasner1 said.
What verbiage leads you to this?
You cannot load an inline from the breach.

hobbes

WKR
What verbiage leads you to this?
You cannot load an inline from the breach.
It doesn't just say load from the breach. It also says "insert a cap or primer into the open breach of the barrel (inline)". It clearly says inline in parentheses.

hobbes

WKR
I don't like it. I just brought home my dad's old MK85 inline. I think it was the start of modern muzzleloaders.

Werty

WKR
Inlines are legal for weapon restricted areas, they are not legal for the new muzzleloader season in December. Its in the fwp regs. The December muzzleloader season is not in the regs, because it was still being figured iut

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
I see what you're saying now.
I hope Montana outdoors got it wrong. I hope I shoot a danged elk ahead of the muzzleloader and don't even need to think about it.

I also brought home his 50 cal TC Renegade sidelock percussion. That's legal for sure but the iron sights might require some crawling in the snow. :)

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
FWP released some clarifications on things after I posed this (on facebook I believe). I spoke with 3 people at FWP and got 3 different answers on different subjects. The "boss" told me that he answered 12 questions on muzzleloader stuff that day already and they are going to be clarifying things in next years regs. He said that they will probably do away with the all lead projectile requirement in the weapons restricted areas, since it's not a requirement for the handguns and shotguns that you're also allowed to use in these areas.

Inlines are legal in WR areas during the general season. Inlines are not legal in the late "muzzleloader" season. That is their stance for this year, despite the verbiage in the regs making it sound like inlines are not legal in WR areas.

I pointed out that I could target practice at the exact same location where I hunt with a 50 BMG anytime regarding the weapons restricted areas. :)