Innovative Boots for Moose Hunting

I've been chasing moose a good many years now and I suppose I've seen, used or considered about everything there is for footwear appropriate to that endeavor. Keeping feet dry for 2 solid weeks isn't easy. Keeping them warm, supported and happy during the same time is asking a LOT. There is no perfect boot, because moose are found in so many terrain types...and hunters have so many preferences. I started with good American-made pac boots but got frustrated with them after several years. Wet leather, cold damp interiors and rotating liners were a negative for me. I switched to calf-high rubber boots even though I had lots of initial reservations regarding foot comfort, support and durability. These did very well for me, though they obviously lacked any sort of serious ankle support when packing. My feet stayed dry 100% and I really had no problem. Still, I wished for more of a rugged boot with laces and the ability to keep my feet and legs dry for puddle jumping and shallow stream crossing.

A couple years ago Cabela's introduced the Instinct Lockdown Hunting Boots in 400 Gm and 1200 Gm insulation weights. I wanted to buy the 1200s but could not find them in stock in my size 13. I had to wait a year but I got them last summer and used them on my 2017 hunt. Here's what I can tell you:

This is basically a stout hiking boot contained within a fully waterproof outer 'skin' comprised of cordura ( in the wear areas) and a softer brushed fabric in the shaft. The shaft has a full-length zipper with a gusset behind it. The end result is a side-zip gaiter going all the way to just below the knee. The interior boot uses the BOA lacing system (rotating, ratcheting dial) and it is very easy to use. Slip the boot on your foot, and rotate the dial until its as snug as you like. Pull the gaiter top up to full height and zip up the side. Snug the strap at the top of the gaiter and you're ready.

My experiences: Easy on and off. VERY warm at 1200 Gm. BOA lacing is 100% reliable and actually a joy to use. The inner main boot is stout and supportive. It's as rigid as a good hiking boot and I felt like I had mountain-quality boot on my feet. Far more supportive than any pac or rubber boot I've ever worn. I was in water up to the top of the gaiter many times and they did not ever leak a drop even once. I had totally dry feet for 12 days. The side zipper is a rubberized unit and pulls harder than a typical nylon zipper, but it's also very effective at excluding water. All in....these are the best moose boots I've personally ever owned and used.

Care: Wash with any detergent. Spray with DWR or other silicone-based repellent product if you want the fabric to bead water. All the fabric seams are sewn and taped, but I highly recommend an application of Seam Grip to all the major stitched seams. This is will add a margin of safety in terms of seam durability and leak prevention. I was able to seal all my seams on a pair of 13s with one tube of Seam Grip using the included brush and applying it correctly.

IMG_2539.JPGIMG_2540.JPGIMG_2541.JPG

KJH

WKR
I really like the idea of these. I appreciate the review Kevin.

I thought I'd found my final moose hunting boot, but now here I am again thinking that these might be the ticket. Damn you. :) I really dislike a leather boot for moose and caribou hunting but like the feel of a leather boot.

I might go pick these up and try them for 10 days of bear hunting this spring and see how I like them. ~Somewhat similar conditions.

OP
Kevin Dill
I think they're obviously more versatile than just on moose hunts. Caribou, bear, deer...absolutely. My good friend has worn them on a Kodiak blacktail hunt and now prefers them over his $350 Zamberlans. They won't please everyone, but I've been pretty much amazed at how well they do the job for me. This is coming from someone who tends to dismiss Cabela's products....but not in this case.

Trial153

WKR
Kevin,
Assuming everything works as is should in both systems. What advantages do you see in this vs a boot plus a gortex gator?

KJH

WKR
I too dismiss Cabela's stuff most of the time. Nowadays I buy outdoor clothing based on function and my tastes and not brand. I don't need to match or fit in with anyone when I'm in the field. I really do like the idea of these boots and your recommendation will get me past the Cabela's quality hurdle.

I just tried to order a pair and they only have up to size 11.5. Damn. They don't even show anything above size 11.5... Maybe when they get in some bigger sizes...

OP
Kevin Dill
Kevin,
Assuming everything works as is should in both systems. What advantages do you see in this vs a boot plus a gortex gator?

This boot would allow you to cross streams or actually stand in water (to the top of the boot) without eventual leakage. It's 100% wp whereas a boot + gaiter combo would let water in behind the gaiter and to the boot. If it was deep enough the water would enter the boot. I used to do gaiters and know their capabilities. This boot incorporates a gaiter and is very fast to put on. Pant legs go inside and never get wet or dirty. There is no wet gaiter to take off, dry out, or put on when the weather or conditions get sloppy. It's a simpler system which I have found to work better than boots + gaiters....not to mention it probably costs less overall when compared against higher quality GT boots and good gaiters combined.

OP
Kevin Dill
I too dismiss Cabela's stuff most of the time. Nowadays I buy outdoor clothing based on function and my tastes and not brand. I don't need to match or fit in with anyone when I'm in the field. I really do like the idea of these boots and your recommendation will get me past the Cabela's quality hurdle.

I just tried to order a pair and they only have up to size 11.5. Damn. They don't even show anything above size 11.5... Maybe when they get in some bigger sizes...

Exactly what I experienced last year at this time. I got in the habit of checking their website for availability 2 or 3 times a week. Eventually they came back in stock but it was mid-summer. I think they are proving to be a good boot and good seller.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy picked up a pair of these boots from Cabela's: Cabela's Dry-Plus Millennium Hunting Wader Jeans : Cabela's Wish they still made them..... Boot laces up and fits like a hunting boot, but 100% waterproof from the waist down. Decently breathable as well...

What I liked about them vs. the knee high is you could keep your butt dry getting in out of rafts, wet ATVs, etc. However, I think those knee high with a good pair of rain pants over them might work pretty dang similar, unless you went over in water over the top of the Instinct boot.... Certainly be easier to take on and off.... Nice to see other options. Thanks for pointing these out.

Trial153

WKR
thanks for the info. Considering it for a trip into the 40mile area to bowhunt bou.

GotDraw?

WKR
@Goforthegusto

FYI- if you plan to use these boots to deal with ticks, etc and your plan is to spray them with Permethrin, then be advised that permethrin is a surfactant and will cause water to sheet (not bead-up) on the fabric. Permethrin only works when it contacts ticks/chiggers/mosquitoes, etc in a "surfactant" environment and it will NOT work if you subsequently treat the item with a waterproofing treatment.

I learned this from a company that applies long-term permethrin treatments to clothing because I was also curious about applying waterproofing over Permethrin treated fabric.

Bottom line-- Permethrin will not work if you treat fabric with something that causes fabric to bead water.

Hope this helps.

JL

Was wondering about these...mainly for ticks here.

Ray

WKR
As a user of cabelas dry-plus materials for years now, how did they handle sweating? My legs sweat something awful and all water proof materials result in me being almost as wet as if I was not wearing them when I work hard. I'm not pouring water out of my boots wet with sweat, but my clothes are soaked. My dry-plus wader pants are still some of the best tundra hunting rain gear I have ever used. I just have to have a dry set of clothes back at camp/truck at the end of the day, every day.

I would be interested if there was an uninsulated version. I just don't need insulation on my feet until zero degrees or so. I would really enjoy the ankle support over the pull on knee boots.

OP
Kevin Dill
Kevin,
Thanks for the review!
I too wear a 13....how's the toe room?

Howdy Vern. Well....I have a semi-wide foot which isn't especially hard to fit, and I have the correct amount of toe space. That's with a merino liner sock followed by a thick cushion hunting sock. I think these boots are not meant to fit like pacs or rubbers in which I normally bought a size 14. These things do fit snugly and have a lot more ankle support when the laces are snugged. The 1200 Gm model feels like it has a lot of thickness around the foot.

And to Ray's comment above: If your feet and legs sweat a lot I wouldn't recommend these boots simply because they are quite warm and completely waterproof. While the membrane might help them dry some, foot/leg moisture is first going to travel through socks, pant legs and boot insulation before it finally reaches the Dry-Plus membrane. I don't think these boots would reduce your sweating or accumulated moisture.

I'll add that I'm pretty serious about keeping my feet in shape during a hunt. I always change my outer hunting socks (and sometimes the liner too) midway through the day. Doing this has really helped me keep my boots dry, feet happier and reduces foot-funk.

VernAK

WKR
Thanks Kevin!

We are on the same page.....take care of the feet.....I take off my boots and dip feet in probably that same cold stream in your pic......dry my feet and put dry socks on......does wonders.

I'll order a pair but am torn between 400 and 1200 insulation......will be in Anchorage next month and will check em out.

Are you seeing many moose in that burn?

LostArra

WKR
Thanks for the review. Very timely for me.
I've got some very old Muck's that carry a pound of Shoo Goo on the foot part and have old Kenetrek gaiters and duct tape covering the neoprene uppers that are riddled with holes.

LostArra

WKR
Howdy Vern. Well....I have a semi-wide foot which isn't especially hard to fit, and I have the correct amount of toe space. That's with a merino liner sock followed by a thick cushion hunting sock. I think these boots are not meant to fit like pacs or rubbers in which I normally bought a size 14. These things do fit snugly and have a lot more ankle support when the laces are snugged. The 1200 Gm model feels like it has a lot of thickness around the foot.

And to Ray's comment above: If your feet and legs sweat a lot I wouldn't recommend these boots simply because they are quite warm and completely waterproof. While the membrane might help them dry some, foot/leg moisture is first going to travel through socks, pant legs and boot insulation before it finally reaches the Dry-Plus membrane. I don't think these boots would reduce your sweating or accumulated moisture.

I'll add that I'm pretty serious about keeping my feet in shape during a hunt. I always change my outer hunting socks (and sometimes the liner too) midway through the day. Doing this has really helped me keep my boots dry, feet happier and reduces foot-funk.

Does that Boa system seem to be pretty rugged? Is the lace actually a cable? I would guess that replacing a boot lace is difficult but maybe it's not needed.