input from Seek Outside integrated pack users

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll start with an admission- I own too many packs :D I'd like to thin those numbers a bit and am considering enlisting my SO Divide into hunting service. Currently it serves as my winter and long trip backpacking pack (not hunting). It's a great pack, no doubt.

My current hunting pack is a great pack too and has served me faithfully hauling numerous deer and elk out. It's roughly 2 lbs heavier than my Divide when using a similar volume pack and heavier than need be for non-hunting outings.

It's also a "breakaway" style pack and have always used it that way when hauling meat. The Divide is not a breakaway, which is a concern.

How are guys getting by with the integrated packs? Are you strictly hauling meat inside the bag? Are using a Talon setup? Incorporating a meat shelf- internally or on the exterior? Something I haven't even thought of?

Does the lack of a second cross member (vs the breakaway packs) impact load hauling ability? I see you can add a Revolution panel that comes with both cross members, but am unsure if you can still utilize your integrated bag with that setup or not?

Looking for input - thanks :)

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this same thought process a couple months ago and started a thread that gave me some good options with the integrated frame:

Seek Outside: Integrated Vs. Breakaway Frame

I ultimately went with a integrated frame as I love simplicity. Since I just received this bag a few weeks ago I haven’t actually hauled meat out with it, so take to a for what it’s worth. But I have been loading 40 pound dog food bags inside the bag meat shelf, and then with a second meat shelf have been adding another bag on the outside with the talon. I have the Unaweep 6300, and the reason I went with the bigger bag was so I could carry gear and a load of meat on the inside, then have a second meat shelf I can attach outside the bag and get a second meat bag over the top of the internal load via the talon if need be. I am not a fan of carrying meat and gear with the breakaway system as it pulls away from my center of gravity. With the method described above it keeps the weight closer to my back and center of gravity much better. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks- that definitely helps :)

I just looked inside my Divide and it doesn't have any provision for an internal shelf, so that's not an option, but looks like a Talon (or Merlin) w/ a shelf would work on the outside

ethan

WKR
This may not be exactly the answers you're looking for but for what it's worth... I went with the integrated SO and a custom unaweep. I bought the frame panel to use the frame as a load hauler during the summer when I am typically hauling heavier loads and not necessarily packing in anywhere. It converts easily and works well with a talon. I have always packed any meat out inside my pack, but I prefer just a load panel if i'm hauling in minerals, stands, or whatever else heavy. I've owned a few different breakaway style packs from different mfg's and I found most of them felt loose or "sloppy" when I didn't have anything between the bag and frame.

With all that being said, the way SO has designed their frames and bags I don' think they would have that sloppy feel whatsoever with the bag just sucked down to the frame. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the break away. Either way though, I think it's a great pack system.

Bighorse

WKR
A Talon does work very well and in the event your meat cache is in a mesh bag and messy you'll prevent soiling the internal components of the main bag. The contents of the main bag serve to "frame" the meat. Pay attention to how you lay em out then cinch it down tight. Don't plan on accessing the internal main bag unless you want to "blow up" the system. Keep essentials accessible in the lid or talon. I rock this setup most alpine hunts.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have a fair amount of people that hunt with a Divide. Ive done numerous pack outs in the bag with it. That said, I prefer using a talon on integrated for pack outs and then it acts essentially as a hauler as well and by cinching the talon tight at the bottom it keeps load fairly high. Some people , dont use the cross stays at all (Rockchucker30 on here ) .. I rarely use the bottom one (really only for hauling awkward stuff like a chain saw ) ..

Another option , is swap out to a bag like the Kenai for hunting .. which has the bottom stay integrated and interior load shelf .. I really think of it as a "hunting divide" . However, I know you are pretty UL and it adds about a pound .. but the Divide will do it and if you are comfortable with the size, and org, and dont mind putting meat in the bag , or compressing outside .. its fine and plenty capable

CoStick

WKR
thanks- that definitely helps :)

I just looked inside my Divide and it doesn't have any provision for an internal shelf, so that's not an option, but looks like a Talon (or Merlin) w/ a shelf would work on the outside
I have both set up’s from SO. I plan to mostly use my new unaweep . It does have internal load shelf, but I will use a talon/shelf for pack out is my plan.

sndmn11

WKR
I suppose this doesn't help with what you currently have, but I have taken to hauling meat inside my Saker because of the internal load shelf. Since it is elevated off the butt, it is very comfortable. I don't think I'd haul meat any other way and wouldn't hesitate to hunt with an internal frame pack with similar load shelf.

I suppose this doesn't help with what you currently have, but I have taken to hauling meat inside my Saker because of the internal load shelf. Since it is elevated off the butt, it is very comfortable. I don't think I'd haul meat any other way and wouldn't hesitate to hunt with an internal frame pack with similar load shelf.
@sndmn11 I've seen you previously mention attaching a kid carrier to your revolution frame. Would you mind elaborating on that setup and which carrier you use please?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nathan (from SO) sent me this video showing how to use the meat shelf in conjunction with a Talon for securing meat to the outside- pretty slick setup :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You get a new pack I call dibs on your SG solo without that side pocket.

I've already got the Divide :) Have had it for 2-3 years now, but always used for winter backpacking trips and longer backpacking trips- now thinking about killing two birds w/ just one pack :D

I'll let you know on the Solo!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well- it's done; one pack :eek:- SO Divide

purchased the load shelf (and a few extra straps); I'll start rucking some weight mid-August and it should give me a clue on how the pack will do for meat

well- it's done; one pack :eek:- SO Divide

purchased the load shelf (and a few extra straps); I'll start rucking some weight mid-August and it should give me a clue on how the pack will do for meat
@mtwarden how's it going buddy? Was just curious how you went so far this hunting season using the Divide as your sole pack? have you had any pack outs and how did those go?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey - I’ve got to use the Divide on a few hunts , but no opportunity to pack meat.

However I purchased a Merlin and wanted to set it up on a frame for an antelope hunt. Soooo… I ended up purchasing the Revolution panel and converted the frame to a breakaway. Got to pack out a couple of antelope. Like that setup for day hunts.

Hey - I’ve got to use the Divide on a few hunts , but no opportunity to pack meat.

However I purchased a Merlin and wanted to set it up on a frame for an antelope hunt. Soooo… I ended up purchasing the Revolution panel and converted the frame to a breakaway. Got to pack out a couple of antelope. Like that setup for day hunts.can't decide if that

However I purchased a Merlin and wanted to set it up on a frame for an antelope hunt. Soooo… I ended up purchasing the Revolution panel and converted the frame to a breakaway. Got to pack out a couple of antelope. Like that setup for day hunts.
hehehe I suppose this is a good loophole out of your 1-pack conundrum... a little case of have your cake and eat it too!
Can't blame you, sounds like a slick system either way. Now you got maximum versatility sounds like. How do you like the Merlin as a day pack type system? Were you putting it on the back of your Divide bag or taking Divide bag off and running Merlin solely on Revolution?

@Kevin_t can a breakaway bag be converted to integrated? I'm guessing you would need a certain style of bag that was sewn as integrated?

The older I get the less weight I want to carry daily.
I know it would be further from your body but an elk quarter would pack fine on the outside of a bag with a talon?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Kevin_t can a breakaway bag be converted to integrated? I'm guessing you would need a certain style of bag that was sewn as integrated?

The older I get the less weight I want to carry daily.
I know it would be further from your body but an elk quarter would pack fine on the outside of a bag with a talon?
Yes, all you need to do is buy a "Pack Bag only" integrated bag and move the components over. Example, I have a Breakaway peregrine or whatever .. but I move to a Unaweep Integrated .. I take out frame , with belt , take off harness put it on a Unaweep bag .. move over compression straps or anything else and go.