Input on Schnee’s Timberlines

coyyota

WKR
If you’ve worn the Timberlines let me know what you think. Positive. Negative. Fit. Anything you got.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider
Working on a full write-up, but I can give you the broad-strokes here. Super comfortable and reasonably light. Considering the materials they're a solid-quality boot. I did have some stitching come loose, but I'm hoping that was a one-off, Schnees has been kind enough to replace them. I would say that you should not expect them to perform in a heavy-duty category, but I never liked heavy, super supportive boots much to begin with.

I love mine, unbelievably comfortable. I would agree with other folks, definitely more flexible than other boots I’ve worn (Scarpa, La Sportiva, etc). I’ve never had issues with blisters or hot spots in the Schnees. In terms of sizing, I typically wear a 10.5 either regular or narrow and years of squeezing into ski boots and whatnot has left me with some gnarled toes. Always used to get blisters on top of my middle toe no matter what boots/socks I wore or how I laced my boots. It seems like the toe box on the Schnees allows for just enough room so it doesn’t feel like you’re swimming in them but you’ve got enough room that your toes aren’t constricted. I admittedly haven’t put the Schnees through any expedition-style hunts but whether chasing high alpine trout or wide open uplands I’ve had nothing but great experiences with mine. Let me know If you’ve got any more specific questions and I’ll try to answer as best I can.

rebelblue

FNG
Coincidentally, I just received a long-awaited pair of Timberlines in the mail a few days ago.

When I opened the box late that night after the kids went to bed I was immediately impressed by the obvious build quality. And, for such a substantial boot, one would expect it to weigh much more than it does.

I slipped them on and adored the heel cup immediately. Unlaced, I pushed my foot forward as far as I could-- the slightest toe contact that barely compressed my sock and only a finger behind my heel. Great.

I laced them up and simultaneously enjoyed the heel-lock eyelet while also felt slightly frustrated by the roller-ball eyelets below it. Those roller balls are smooth, to be sure, but not enough to speed-lace with equal pressure from toe to ankle with one pull. You still have to work each lace point on the way up while accepting some slippage in between and then rejoice when the heel-lock eyelet is engaged.

To be clear, I am easily able to get good lacing from toe to ankle. I just expected a little more from the rollers than I got. However, broke-in leather would likely allow some action closer to my expectation.

I stood. I stepped. I... what's that pressure?

Immediately, I felt an awkward pressure at the flex point of the boot. As the boot bends, that leather dives down and presses across the base of my toes/into the end of my foot. Hesitantly, I chalked it up to a new-boot issue and went for a walk around the house. Couldn't shake it.

I knelt and it got waaay worse. I put my toe against the couch and flexed that boot hard. The pressure was *significant*. So I boxed them and waited until today to take 'em to the mall (gag) for a couple miles.

In the meantime, I communicated with Schnee's and the rep said he'd had the same issue for the first 5 miles with his Timberlines and then it went away. Je loves 'em and it is his go-to boot. With that vote of confidence I went into today's walk feeling optimistic. Unfortunately, I ended today's walk feeling sure I'll be returning the boots on Monday.

Flat tiled ground sucks to evaluate a mountain boot. Just 2 miles sucks equally as bad. However, I have made the mistake in the past of ignoring this exact issue and it was no less than crippling. To imagine what a steady, steep, and unrelenting incline would produce in terms of discomfort... I might not sleep tonight.

All I wanted was for these boots to be perfect. Or at least be my solution. Boot shopping is not fun and I want to stop. And yet...

I might, in a hail Mary pass, try a half size down. I've been told I have somewhat of a low-volume foot. I measure on a Brannock right at 11.5 on my larger foot and just over 11 on my smaller. The boot-fitters at my local shops agreed that I ought to order a 12 via mail sight unseen. All my other shoes are 12, but maybe...

The little guy on my shoulder spits at the foolishness of this idea. I really just need different boots. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Coincidentally, I just received a long-awaited pair of Timberlines in the mail a few days ago.

When I opened the box late that night after the kids went to bed I was immediately impressed by the obvious build quality. And, for such a substantial boot, one would expect it to weigh much more than it does.

I slipped them on and adored the heel cup immediately. Unlaced, I pushed my foot forward as far as I could-- the slightest toe contact that barely compressed my sock and only a finger behind my heel. Great.

I laced them up and simultaneously enjoyed the heel-lock eyelet while also felt slightly frustrated by the roller-ball eyelets below it. Those roller balls are smooth, to be sure, but not enough to speed-lace with equal pressure from toe to ankle with one pull. You still have to work each lace point on the way up while accepting some slippage in between and then rejoice when the heel-lock eyelet is engaged.

To be clear, I am easily able to get good lacing from toe to ankle. I just expected a little more from the rollers than I got. However, broke-in leather would likely allow some action closer to my expectation.

I stood. I stepped. I... what's that pressure?

Immediately, I felt an awkward pressure at the flex point of the boot. As the boot bends, that leather dives down and presses across the base of my toes/into the end of my foot. Hesitantly, I chalked it up to a new-boot issue and went for a walk around the house. Couldn't shake it.

I knelt and it got waaay worse. I put my toe against the couch and flexed that boot hard. The pressure was *significant*. So I boxed them and waited until today to take 'em to the mall (gag) for a couple miles.

In the meantime, I communicated with Schnee's and the rep said he'd had the same issue for the first 5 miles with his Timberlines and then it went away. Je loves 'em and it is his go-to boot. With that vote of confidence I went into today's walk feeling optimistic. Unfortunately, I ended today's walk feeling sure I'll be returning the boots on Monday.

Flat tiled ground sucks to evaluate a mountain boot. Just 2 miles sucks equally as bad. However, I have made the mistake in the past of ignoring this exact issue and it was no less than crippling. To imagine what a steady, steep, and unrelenting incline would produce in terms of discomfort... I might not sleep tonight.

All I wanted was for these boots to be perfect. Or at least be my solution. Boot shopping is not fun and I want to stop. And yet...

I might, in a hail Mary pass, try a half size down. I've been told I have somewhat of a low-volume foot. I measure on a Brannock right at 11.5 on my larger foot and just over 11 on my smaller. The boot-fitters at my local shops agreed that I ought to order a 12 via mail sight unseen. All my other shoes are 12, but maybe...

The little guy on my shoulder spits at the foolishness of this idea. I really just need different boots. YMMV

Are the timberlines all leather? If so, I’d expect that pressure point issue to sort itself out as the leather stretches to conform to your feet.

rebelblue

FNG
Are the timberlines all leather? If so, I’d expect that pressure point issue to sort itself out as the leather stretches to conform to your feet.
They are and I really want that to be true. I need a treadmill that pitches up to at least the angle of repose. If I can get on one of those and walk for a couple hours then I'd know a heckuvalot more. Maybe I can fake interest in joining a big box gym just to go for a conveyor belt hike