inReach account set-up, not for me (continue reading for try #2 success)

I have and use an Inreach but would use something else if there was another realistic option. Had a unit screen quit working after using for a few days, had to get a warranty one, they send you a refurbished one even though my unit was brand new and broke through no fault of my own, after I received it, it took 2 hrs with their representative to activate/swap my account over, mainly because he wouldn’t believe that I was doing everything right and that he was asking and that it wasn’t working, finally he had to do it manually on his end.
Fast forward to bow season, was 6 miles into the flattops for what should of been a 5-6 night stay, needed to stay in touch because told my wife I would, baby at home and sister in law was giving birth (higher risk pregnancy), inreach said messages were going out but was getting no responses. Had to hike out so my wife wouldn’t call search and rescue and to make sure everyone was healthy. That’s no stroll in the park if familiar with south side access of flattops. Turns out that Garmin claims I canceled my service, they charged me a fee to reactivate, which they did refunded as a “courtesy”. Kicker is when I “canceled” my service it would have been impossible as I was in the woods.
Had nothing but issues with Garmin, but when it works, it’s nice.

I fairly recently call Garmin. The account rep had an attitude a mile wide. I was hoping to have my account active the this and next month. Bottom line is that due to the unending attitude I got from the rep, I canceled my service. The product, when it works right, is nice. But the attitude Garmin gives it's customers is simply unbearable.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I called their CS while I was waiting on their website to unfreeze. Had to leave a message. While I was waiting for the call back, finally got their website to refresh.

Spent the next 10 minutes updating that account I'd deactivated (but didn't delete) when I had all the problems last month.

Got to the activation step, walked outside and put the mini on the hood of my truck for a clear view of the sky.

10 minutes later went out, still not connected....

5 minutes later, BAM!, it's connected (that step alone took like 6 hours with the last unit) so I was pretty happy to get this far.

Had to get to work so I left it on the dash of my truck in the parking lot and sent a few messages to myself, and my wife. So far, we've received AND replied successfully to everyone of them.

I don't even think I have an hour into the set up this time, compared to days last time and eventually sending it back.

If this thing works this well in the hills, I'll be very happy.

So what is the difference this time? I don't really know. Could simply be that the last unit was a lemon. That didn't explain all the issues that I had with their website (and that I started to have similar ones on this set up) but the important thing is, it's working now and I didn't have to spend hours and days!!!!!

And btw, their customer service did return my call within about 10 minutes of leaving that message. And they called back again when I didn't answer, so don't be afraid to leave a message with them, they should call back.

Now I'm getting ready to hit the hills on a late buck hunt, so I'll get to test this mini for real. I''ll let you know how it does. The area I'm going isn't super remote and has cell service in more than a few places, so I've got a back up it doesn't work. And I haven't de-activated my SPOT 1-way yet either.

Michael54

WKR
I hope this works out for you. Ive been contemplating buying one for awhile but enough horror stories have had me on the fence. An unreliable device is just a false sense of security IMO.

gbflyer

WKR
I just did a firmware update on my explorer, it didn’t work for crap before. I better test it. My buddy has the mini, works flawlessly.

This is interesting. I have an older model (InReach Explorer) that was Magellan before Garmin took them over. Older and a little bigger model, but I got it cheap(ish).

My account is on a month to month with their basic "Safety" plan. I activate it before I leave and it's good for a month. I send and receive 1 text message to confirm it's working. I cancel it when I get back. Never had an issue although the account has been set up for a couple of years.

Good luck. It's worth the effort if you ever need it.

DaveDeli

FNG
I’m glad it’s working now. I went on a solo 4 day back pack trip to train for an upcoming hunt and told my wife not to expect me to check in each night as I normally do, because I didn’t expect to have cell service where I was going. Well she misunderstood or forgot what i said. On day three I was ahead of schedule and had covered the planned distance. I was about a half mile from the trailhead when I heard people calling my name....Search and Rescue personnel. After we completed the required formalities, we had a good laugh, they said “well at least you know she loves you”. I apologized for taking up their time but they weren’t upset because as they stated it doesn’t always turn out well. I bought the Explorer and have used it successfully for several years. Bottom line the peace of mind my wife has now is priceless and I can focus on the hunt.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I'm a fairly technical, and insanely logical/analytical guy and have a fenix 6 watch, InReach Mini, and Alpha dog transmitter and collar. I've spent a lot of time getting them all set up and maintaining their software. There is a lot involved with all of them to remember. I use Garmin Express, I think it is to update the software and to sync my watch. I think there is a separate app to sync my InReach Mini. I cannot update the software on my watch, InReach mini, Alpha collar, and Alpha transmitter on the same app.

I forgot that when I changed something on my preset messages, I need to sync the InReach Mini. I went and did it and it still didn't work. I tried turning the unit off and on and that did not work. I called customer service and they recommended resetting the unit and there are instructions how to on the unit. Hit the go back button and power button on the unit. I did that and it worked. To me a soft reset, or turning something on and off is like old school kicking or hitting something mechanical, or electrical to get it to work.

I got my Fenix 6 synced with my Alpha 100 so I can track my dog on my watch with an arrow and the distance. A month ago I was hunting and the app on my watch was glitching on me. I turned the watch on and off a couple times. Then finally it started working again.

When I travel to new hunting areas I recalibrate my Alpha 100 transmitter. I rotate it around one axis, then another, and finally end over end. The two first rotations are real easy. The last one, end over end, I have to rotate the transmitter super, super, super slowly. Much slower than the first two rotations. Otherwise it will fail. When I first got the unit I was ready to throw the damn thing at the sun!!! It took about a half hour. When I got into civilization I went onto the Garmin Astro/Alpha usersfacebook and posted my issue, which several people quickly replied to.

I will soft reset, turn off and on all my electronics from time to time when they are acting up and most of the time it works.

In summary there is ABSOLUTLEY nothing as good as Garmin out there now, with all the different units, I got 3. If you are not good at trouble shooting and maintaining the software on your smart phone, computer, printer etc., you will hate Garmin. If you have an Apple phone and/or Computer you will hate Garmin.

Generally customer service has been polite and helpful. The software is not as polished and user friendly as I would like. Lastly, like Garmin states, you need to make sure the Inreach is working properly before you can rely on it. You need to test it out, sending messages, etc. before heading out.

Cheers,
Bill

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know who made that site or the story behind it but that is definitely hilarious. On a bright note it got me a new book to read.

Rokslide Mod (John) made it, just to hack on me. But I really appreciate you buying a book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. I’ve had it working for 24 hours. Here is screenshot of the Earthmate app (required for the mini as it doesn’t have a keyboard, but my iPhone is always with me in the hills for my BaseMap navigation and is why I wanted the mini) showing all the message threads I’ve sent and received. These are just headers of the thread, there are dozen or more replies under them. Everything is going through to multiple devices/media (phones/PCs/email/text) and just as important, we’re able to reply.

All were sent with a clear sky and and one from my truck WITHOUT putting on the dash

So far so good.

Now I need to learn the tracking and Mapshare features and get it in the hills where there is no service.

9d0be220614c59fe37c0c873916085ae.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
ec7e803145df740b694e47a96bf0958c.jpg
677a729744bd4487eb648f2efe3edcfd.png

Today I tested the tracking, sharing tracks, weather, and battery life

Started the day at 7/8th battery (haven’t recharged since the initial charge 2 days ago). With 5 straight hours of tracking, (set to 2 minute pings to the satellite)I used approx 3/8th battery life. So I’d estimate a long day with tracking on would deplete that battery. I doubt I’ll use tracking much as I really never have on any of my GPS/BaseMap/onX. Waypoints much more usable to me.

I was able to share the track (with my phone in airplane mode to simulate no cell service) with both my dad and my wife. It only took a few minutes for them to receive it. Both could pull up a map that showed everywhere I went in those five hours.

f97daa119da14a74207e419763a5782c.jpg

The weather function worked well enough. Trying to figure out difference in the “Basic” weather (3 day) or the “premium”, (7 day) as it’s not clear if there are other differences. It’s showing temp high/low, % precip (but not seeing type of precip so prolly gotta guess from the temp) sky cover, but no wind. But is better than no forecast.

Very happy with how the inReach mini is working now. Glad I placed that 2nd order.

The mountains will be the real test. 9 days and counting.

Last edited: