inReach account set-up, not for me (continue reading for try #2 success)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update, I did find wind, wind gust, wind chill, pressure, %humidity, precip type AND amount, and temp forecast at multiple times of day. This is in premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Update, I did find wind, wind gust, wind chill, pressure, %humidity, precip type AND amount, and temp forecast at multiple times of day. This is in premium.

Detailed weather information is very valuable in my opinion. Is “premium” an extra charge?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a SPOT and that was a game changer for me (and my wife!); then a couple of guys had inReaches where there had real two way communications, so I got one of those- it was great. But somewhat redundant in that it was a full on gps, as I use my phone (and Gaiagps). Then the Mini came out- a little over 3 oz and smaller than a pack of smokes, traded for a Mini- couldn't be happier.

Just one of many examples- wasn't able to finish to finish a multi-day adventure race and was able to communicate my plans to bail (extremely high streams/dangerous fords), where I was bailing and approximately what time I would be arriving- had someone waiting at the trailhead when I got there- can't beat that! :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Detailed weather information is very valuable in my opinion. Is “premium” an extra charge?

90% sure it’s not extra. I just checked my plan (Freedom @$65/month) and it didn’t say anything about weather. Next plan down is Recreational at $15/month but it doesn’t say anything about weather either so I can only assume it’s included.

brsnow

WKR
I do the cheapest plan, around $12 a month. I use it for mtn biking and hiking year round. I spent a week using it as my only means of communication this fall and the bill was $35 with the extra text.

Robby, tracking is dirt simple. Press "Tracking" and then START. It will ask if you want to share, and you can then enter who you want to share with. Cake.

I have to use these for work to check-in when in the field. Each time I find them frustrating as the first time I used them. Until they put a real keyboard them, I will not buy one for my personal use, since they are half a step away from being a brick as far as being user-friendly. In a high-stress situation, I don't think I could get a message out, short of hitting the SOS button.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have to use these for work to check-in when in the field. Each time I find them frustrating as the first time I used them. Until they put a real keyboard them, I will not buy one for my personal use, since they are half a step away from being a brick as far as being user-friendly. In a high-stress situation, I don't think I could get a message out, short of hitting the SOS button.

Yeah I thought about that a lot when I was considering the mini, that is not having a Qwerty keyboard. But since I’ve gone to BaseMap on my phone I have it with me all the time, so getting the Garmin with the keyboard was going to be redundant for me personally. I’ll just use my phone/Earthmate app for the longer messages, and the inReach mini “alphabet” for the short stuff. But we’ll see if I still think that once I get it in the hills.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ you can also store several generic messages ie. “I made it to camp, everything’s OK”; I’m running late”; etc

tdhanses

WKR
90% sure it’s not extra. I just checked my plan (Freedom @$65/month) and it didn’t say anything about weather. Next plan down is Recreational at $15/month but it doesn’t say anything about weather either so I can only assume it’s included.

I may be wrong but I think premium weather costs $1 each time used, basic just costs one message it would be free on the freedom plan. Just going off what I remember so could be wrong.

Edit: the premium is $1. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=y82JG5z3rt8cg21ARUw0N8

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR

Get the Instinct or Fenix 5 watch and pair it to the mini, you can easily respond or press the sos function from it without the brick in hand. I put mine in the bottom of my bino case and only remove to turn on/off. I have it paired to my phone and watch 100% of the time it is on.

It’s pretty handy to just look at your watch and read the text like you’re checking the time.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong but I think premium weather costs $1 each time used, basic just costs one message it would be free on the freedom plan. Just going off what I remember so could be wrong.

Edit: the premium is $1. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=y82JG5z3rt8cg21ARUw0N8

Ah crap, that means I’ve spent about 10$ just playing with it. Thanks for the heads up man. Those sneaky bastardized commies!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
concerning plans, I opted for the cheapest one; when I penciled everything out it made the most sense for me

when I do the Bob Marshall Open in the spring and a few times during hunting season, I’ll get higher bills due to usage. still averaged out, it’s cheaper (for me) than a higher plan

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I took the time to read this as I’m looking into a mini in reach now. Will have to reevaluate!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glad I took the time to read this as I’m looking into a mini in reach now. Will have to reevaluate!

Hey man, make sure you read the entire thread. I ordered another one and it has been flawless. I just got back from a week hunting and several of the areas had no service whatsoever, but every text came through and I received everything from home. Seems the first unit I had was defective.

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
Will do! I’ve made it though a few pages but I’ll def finish it all off. Thanks for the update!