InReach and technology 3 years from now

Bought a new inreach SE and loved it for my colorado elk trip. Wouldnt go back without it. With that said my next trip will be either 2 or more likely 3 years. Is it worth it to hold on to it for 3 years or is GPS technology going to change much in that time span?

muddydogs

WKR
If you have an SE its already 3 years out of date, hope you didn't give a lot for it. Did you mean an SE+

I don’t know about two years down the road, but I cannot imagine that satellite messaging will be restricted to these proprietary devices for much longer. It’s a matter of time before a cell phone can do this. The first step may be a small, external Bluetooth antenna, but I think it’s coming.

If Garmin was smart, they’d develop the antenna and the app before Apple or Google do.

ODB

WKR
I don’t know about two years down the road, but I cannot imagine that satellite messaging will be restricted to these proprietary devices for much longer. It’s a matter of time before a cell phone can do this. The first step may be a small, external Bluetooth antenna, but I think it’s coming.

If Garmin was smart, they’d develop the antenna and the app before Apple or Google do.

And Iridium, Inmarsat, and globalstar, etc. will be waiting with their hands ready accept your cash.

I’m quite content with my old SE, works just fine. I don’t want all my eggs in one basket anyway.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d keep it, I’ve had my mini since it came out with zero plans of replacing it for many years.

Something better may come out but it’ll be more expensive and have only a few new features of which may not matter to you. Satellite tech isn’t advancing super fast like the cell phone world.

OP
charlieyca
Thanks for the feedback guys, gonna keep it listed but no rush to sell, might find someone to rent it to next season to bridge the gap

dla

WKR
If Apple has their way, "cellular" will be a thing of the past. They are working to go full satellite.

Right now the Garmin InReach has the following competitors:

Satpaq
Bivystick
Spot-x

I truly hope to see more competition because competition is good for the consumer.