InReach & AT&T Incompatible??

Whip

WKR
I just returned from 2 weeks in the Alaska bush. Both my partner & I had InReach devices to maintain contact with home as well as for emergency use. During our stay we both were unable to get text messages through to our wives, although we were able to communicate with some friends. After a week or so we finally received a message from InReach that messages to AT&T phones had been blocked for a period of time. The problem was eventually resolved, but it was frustrating for awhile not being able to be in communication.
A Google search shows me that this is not the first time this has been an issue with AT&T phones. See the link here:

Personally, I'm very disappointed in the InReach service. Fortunately in our case or transporter did not use AT&T phones so at least we had that important contact. But who would think to ask a transporter what phone service they use? It really makes me a bit leary to rely on InReach completely. It seems to be fixed for now, but who can promise me that it will never happen again? History doesn't speak will for it.

Rokwiia

WKR
As a test, did you send any text messages before you went out in the Alaskan bush to make sure they were being sent and received? When I got my InReach Mini, I made it a point to text to two different people on my list. Both went through without a hitch so I knew I was good to go.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
We did. To multiple people and everything worked fine. Unfortunately, according to InReach, there problem didn't begin until we were already deep in the bush.

You could have emailed wives, just not texted as I understand. Maybe as a backup send by both methods.
Not defending Garmin or ATT, just offering advice.

How was the hunt?

OP
W

Whip

WKR
You could have emailed wives, just not texted as I understand. Maybe as a backup send by both methods.
Not defending Garmin or ATT, just offering advice.

How was the hunt?

Yep. Now that we know, there were work arounds available. Just was no way of knowing that we needed to do anything since on our end messages said they were sent. And on the wives end they didn't see anything from us.

The hunt was awesome, even though it ended meatless. We had multiple opportunities at both moose and Caribou, but as traditional bowhunters needed to be just a little bit closer.

PMcGee

WKR
I had the same problem it seems they got it figured out. It must have been something new with ATT my buddies wife still had our messages from last year and we were able to communicate. I’m still waiting to see if inreach is going to charge for the messages that we’re blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been using an inreach and AT&T for several years now. AT&T always seems to have issues, and they always seem to take days, if not weeks to be resolved. Garmin always blames AT&T for the problems and says it is up to AT&T to resolve. This is such a problem that I downloaded a link to the Garmin incidents page on my wife's phone so she is able to check for service issues if she doesn't hear from me for a while. On the other end, if i don't think my messages are making it through, I swap to messaging my older daughter, and have her relay.

These issues have been going on for years and now that I am in the woods more then ever before. we have talked about swaping phone providers because of it.