inReach Explorer+ ($350) & Mini ($300) at Bass Pro/Cabela's May 14-27

ericF

WKR
I think there is a limit to the number/quantity of gift cards you can use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure there isn't. On the screenshot above for the Mark 5 that I bought, I used all $25 gift cards and had to enter 67 of them. I also bought 3 ATX pieces last year using the same method which cost more than the Mark 5.

717jeeper

FNG
I'm pretty sure there isn't. On the screenshot above for the Mark 5 that I bought, I used all $25 gift cards and had to enter 67 of them. I also bought 3 ATX pieces last year using the same method which cost more than the Mark 5.

Thanks for letting me know. I purchased larger dollar amount gift cards because it thought there would be a limit. Anyway it worked well and I saved over $120

rj2

WKR
i don't have a cabelas card, but is anyone positive the 10% code will work on garmin? they are usually excluded from coupon codes.

If I could get a 10% code I would be all over this with raise/activejunky

717jeeper

FNG
i don't have a cabelas card, but is anyone positive the 10% code will work on garmin? they are usually excluded from coupon codes.

If I could get a 10% code I would be all over this with raise/activejunky

Yes it works on garmin. I ordered a garmin 66i and got the 10% off at cabelas. I’m not sure about a situation which you do not have a cabelas card, since I have one.

mahnster

FNG
I believe Bass Pro limits you to 5 gift cards but Cabela's does not. You can use both companies gift cards at Cabela's and I'm guessing the same is true for Bass Pro as well but I have only ordered from Cabela's.

OP
Mighty Mouse
Not up on the difference between these two.what would you recommend between the two and why? It won't get a ton of use but would like to have one.
Thanks John
The Mini is smaller and cheaper but needs to be Bluetooth-connected to a cell phone to take full advantage of its features. The Explorer can be used as a standalone basic GPS without a cell phone.

And just FYI to fully define the range of inReach options, Garmin introduced two new models last year (GPSMAP 66i and 86i), which have more bulit-in GPS features than the Explorer and have a removable memory card.

I've been happy with my Explorer, which I bought in 2017 before the Mini and 66i/86i were introduced. The Mini is a no-go for me because I don't want to be dependent on a second device (especially a touchscreen device) to use my inReach.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
anyone hearing the 66i is being discontinued? if true, i would guess they should become cheaper soon as a new model is on the way?

corncob

WKR
The Mini is smaller and cheaper but needs to be Bluetooth-connected to a cell phone to take full advantage of its features. The Explorer can be used as a standalone basic GPS without a cell phone.

And just FYI to fully define the range of inReach options, Garmin introduced two new models last year (GPSMAP 66i and 86i), which have more bulit-in GPS features than the Explorer and have a removable memory card.

I've been happy with my Explorer, which I bought in 2017 before the Mini and 66i/86i were introduced. The Mini is a no-go for me because I don't want to be dependent on a second device (especially a touchscreen device) to use my inReach.

My inReach mini works perfectly fine as a stand-alone device. I have preprogrammed contacts and messages that can be sent from the mini, and all the tracking and such is fine without a second device. You can even type out custom messages on it, it just takes longer (scroll to each letter).

The only time I use my phone with it is out of convenience if I want to send a custom message.

corncob

WKR
Not up on the difference between these two.what would you recommend between the two and why? It won't get a ton of use but would like to have one.
Thanks John

Basically if you want to use it for mapping, too, you should get the larger one. If you just want to use it as emergency communication and beacon, get the mini. It’s much lighter and in my opinion, a phone is much superior for mapping and navigation.

OP
Mighty Mouse
My inReach mini works perfectly fine as a stand-alone device. I have preprogrammed contacts and messages that can be sent from the mini, and all the tracking and such is fine without a second device. You can even type out custom messages on it, it just takes longer (scroll to each letter).

The only time I use my phone with it is out of convenience if I want to send a custom message.
Good to know. I was unaware that you can type out custom messages from the device itself. Can you also read received messages on the Mini?

Can you do any navigation from the Mini itself (mark waypoints, get a heading to a waypoint, view map, etc)? I haven't personally used a Mini, just read about them, and would like to better understand their capabilities.

corncob

WKR
Good to know. I was unaware that you can type out custom messages from the device itself. Can you also read received messages on the Mini?

Can you do any navigation from the Mini itself (mark waypoints, get a heading to a waypoint, view map, etc)? I haven't personally used a Mini, just read about them, and would like to better understand their capabilities.

You can definitely read incoming messages. I stay connected to my wife if she doesn’t come along on weekend snowmobiling, backpacking, and hunting trips. Just drop her a preset “we made it to the cabin” or “we’re running a bit behind, had some issues but everyone is okay” message. She can respond (from email or phone) and it comes to the device. There’s some nuances about her reaching out (can’t reply to an old text directly, has to go to a webpage or use email, etc), but it works out well.

Here’s a great review (I thought) on the capabilities of both the mini and explorer. I think it might be a bit outdated regarding the chips in the explorer, but everything else (use cases and such) should be spot on.

corncob

WKR
I don’t think you can do waypoints on the mini. I have never tried because I generally clip it to a belt loop or inside my pack after turning it on, and forget about it until checkin. I’m fully onboard the phone navigation bandwagon with Gaia GPS. It blows other systems I’ve used out of the water.

Regarding the mini and battery life, I carry a tiny Anker battery pack that can charge my phone and inReach if needed. Still lighter than the explorer, combined.

Check out the MapShare capabilities of the inReach devices, too. It’s a neat way to share your location with family or whoever your first responder (whoever you informed where you are going) is at home.

Pgohil

WKR
So how much on gift cards from raise.com should I get? $299-10%(Tuesday deal) and 6% tax...$275?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

corncob

WKR
Yep, that's roughly how I've done it before with gift cards. Then you can go slightly over or slightly under depending on if you want to pay some in cash or have a bit of gift card left over. I generally err on the side on under and paying a little with cash - I don't have high hopes that I won't forget about the $3 balance.

MThuntr

WKR
Dang was hoping Raise cards were a bit better (8% is about as low as I've seen). 2 months ago I think the rate was closer to 14%. I got smoking deals combining Active Junky, Raise, and 10% off. Sometimes you can get the Rakuten or Honey browser add-ins to get an extra % but it's risky trying to double dip since they do track other coupons used.

Ordered an InReach Mini today. Total cost to me will come out to about $220.

$50 off of the $350 Garmin InReach for a starting price of $300. From there:

10% Cabela's Tuesday storewide discount did apply to the Garmin today.

Raise.com gift card discounts were on the lower end at 7.4%. It was only 6.2% for Cabela's cards, so I used Bass Pro cards which were at 7.4% today and they applied to the purchase.

1% cash back on the raise.com card purchases through activejunky.com (this has worked in the past, expecting it to work again).

3% cash back on top of that to me since I set my credit card reward 3% option to "online shopping" this month (left the 2% on gas and the 1% on groceries).

10% cash back through activejunky.com for the Cabela's purchase (this has worked for me several times on previous purchases, and I'm expecting it to work again).

And free shipping for the order being more than $50.

Pgohil

WKR
I got mine ordered today. Bought $275 worth of Cabela's for $242 through raise.com with a discount for bring a new member. Got 10% off for being a club member and used $8.65 in points. Paid $2.27 on my CC. Should get back about $27 from Active junky. Took some patience, but well worth it!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ofl0926

WKR
Ordered an InReach Mini today. Total cost to me will come out to about $220.

$50 off of the $350 Garmin InReach for a starting price of $300. From there:

10% Cabela's Tuesday storewide discount did apply to the Garmin today.

Raise.com gift card discounts were on the lower end at 7.4%. It was only 6.2% for Cabela's cards, so I used Bass Pro cards which were at 7.4% today and they applied to the purchase.

1% cash back on the raise.com card purchases through activejunky.com (this has worked in the past, expecting it to work again).

3% cash back on top of that to me since I set my credit card reward 3% option to "online shopping" this month (left the 2% on gas and the 1% on groceries).

10% cash back through activejunky.com for the Cabela's purchase (this has worked for me several times on previous purchases, and I'm expecting it to work again).

And free shipping for the order being more than $50.

that’s a steal