InReach Explorer+, InReach Mini, or Zoleo?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Mini lasts a long time (tracking will cut the battery life)- I wonder how much longer battery life?

BBob

WKR
I wonder how much longer battery life?
With tracking they are claiming 14 days now instead of 50hrs. I haven't seen how long if you disable tracking altogether. Without tracking I hope to go without charging at all on a trip, basically eliminate that task.

Mini compared to Mini2
Average Battery Life50 hrs. (10 min. tracking intervals)Up to 14 days (default mode: 10-minute tracking, standard activity); up to 5 days (10-minute tracking, high detail activity); up to 30 days (30-minute tracking interval, standard activity)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's fairly significant if a person is using the tracking feature; I don't use the tracking feature too much, but do leave it on now the entire time I'm out- week long trips still has juice with it just on, could be two weeks with the new battery???

BBob

WKR
30 days with a 30 minute tracking interval so with no tracking enabled charging should become a non-issue even for multiple trips. I currently carry it with me everywhere almost 24/7 now and within reach in the car when travelling. There are still many places driving in the mountains where cell service comes and goes. It's in my pack snowboarding both on and off resort. So many places solo with no cell service. Longer battery life for me means one less thing for my ADD brain to constantly remember :)

Venom One

WKR
After seeing/hearing about so many people who get lost or have an accident and aren't found until many days later when they're dead, I never enter the woods without having tracking ON. If I'm incapacitated, the track will show exactly where I am and hopefully I'll be rescued within hours - before I'm dead. If I suffer a fatality, then searchers will find me quickly, reducing their time and risk afield, and reducing the time my family is in limbo. My family knows how to check my track so if I'm running late or they can't reach me by phone, as long as they see my track moving, they know not to worry.

The Mini has become a priceless piece of gear for me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just simply having it (inReach) on will let SAR ping your whereabouts; tracking is better yet

I used to keep mine off and only turn on it when I needed to send a message- not anymore :)

BBob

WKR
I used to keep mine off and only turn on it when I needed to send a message- not anymore :)
Same. I never worried about much of anything out in the field but I recently hit an age along with a few events that happened to others that a touch more reality has entered into my thinking ;)

Venom One

WKR
Same. I never worried about much of anything out in the field but I recently hit an age along with a few events that happened to others that a touch more reality has entered into my thinking ;)
Ditto.

BBob

WKR
Mini2 showed up. I'll see if I can get it swapped out with the mini in the account soon and see how it actually does.

Update:

*Mini2 uses the Explorer app, not Earthmate (Mini was not compatible with Explorer). Once you set it up and sync it all of your original data transfers (way-points, contacts, etc....)

*You can switch a single subscription between devices if you want. Not easy, not hard. It could be easier but this is Garmin.

*I have fully charged the Mini2 and left it in the Default of 10 min tracking, standard activity. I'll see how long it runs. After that I'll turn tracking off and see how long it runs.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat and leaning towards the Zoleo. I can get it new for $140 and wouldn’t mind the 3 month required subscription. I think I would likely deactivate after that until the following September. I don’t see the Inreach being that much better given the $400 price tag.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I bought a Zoleo and used it this past fall on a hunt. My buddy had an InReach Mini. He had a few times where a message woth the Mini wouldn’t send or receive a message until hours later.

The Zoleo on the other hand didn’t have any issues getting or sending messages. Between the delay and him having to spend minutes trying to type a message instead of seconds, he decided he’s going to get a Zoleo.

Davies786

FNG
I’ve had a couple different Inreach’s and I’ve always had good luck with them I currently have the 66i it’s nice having good maps and a functional gps on it. I’ve never had any problems sending and receiving msges

repins05

WKR
I ran the numbers and here's a quick cost breakdown of the annual plans for the two satellite communicators for how I'd be using them. Since I don't live in the West and would only be hunting in the backcountry for one month out of the year, the cost analysis is assuming I'd use the mid-tier plan for one month, and then move to the lowest tier as necessary, suspend service or deactivate when not needed.

Garmin Freedom Plan = $105 annually
Garmin Annual Plan = $187 annually
Zoleo plan paying monthly suspension fee = $131 annually
Zoleo plan deactivating when not in use = $95 annually

If you'd like to review in detail, I've included is a screenshot of the spreadsheet I created for quick reference. I tried to upload the excel file for anyone to use or review the formulas, but the forum doesn't allow that extension type. If anyone would like the excel file to plug in their own numbers for how they'd use the plans, PM me and I'm happy to send it to you.

If I'm missing something or you think there is an error somewhere, please let me know.
Great info. You saved me a bunch of time.

BBob

WKR
Any more feedback on the mini 2? Leaning toward the zoleo...but still feels a little of a toss up
I can't speak to the Zoleo because I've never seen one or know anybody with one. I've had the Mini and now the Mini 2. Friends have Mini's and Explorers. We've all had good luck with them communication home and between ourselves. The Mini 2 has recently been enabled for the Messenger app so I can now send group messages. I haven't had much need for group messages yet so I've still been using Explore for the most part. Messages do sync between the two apps so you can use either interchangeably for messaging.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Zoleo just announced for all plans they are including unlimited check-ins starting 11/29. I have a zoleo and used it this year with great results. I like the ability to deactivate during months not needed for a very cheap monthly fee.