Inreach Mini as temp gps backup?

rj2

WKR
Do you guys think it would work as a temporary gps backup?

My thinking is Backcountry elk hunt, relying on phone with gaia & inreach mini. If phone gets broke/lost, would the mini be capable to get me back to the truck to get a spare phone?

I see a lot of people saying its not a worthy backup gps but in this case it would just be temporary.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going solo? If so, it is a good idea to have a back up. Last year I accidentally dropped my cell phone in a stream, fortunately I was able to grab it quickly and dry it out.

I carry the Mini strictly as an emergency SOS communicator and to text my family occasionally if the cell coverage is not good.

I utilize the On X app on my phone as my primary GPS, but carry my Garmin 650T as a back up. This year I think I will ditch the Garmin 650T to eliminate more weight and rely on the Mini as a back up, although I will have to educate myself with it.

I typically always have a partner as well, so the odds of both cell phones getting lost or broken is slim.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
probably with a partner, but would have to be prepared for solo as well. pretty much deciding between explorer+ and mini.

Im counting ounces so the mini is great there, and the fact its easier to keep on my body if i set pack down for a stalk or something. So I'm thinking if its "follow the arrow" navigation would be good enough to get back to spike camp and then the truck maybe 3-5 miles through the backcountry, its size/weight would be worth it.

tdot

WKR
You're better off to have a map along with the Mini.

The mini doesn't route find for you, or atleast I couldn't get it to. So it'll walk you off a cliff, send you over impassable terrain, miss much easier routes that are just slightly off course, etc. It seemed like more of a pain then it was worth, so I quit playing with it. It also seemed to consume the battery fast.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
The simple answer is yes. The more detailed answer is to use to get your coordinates and plot those on a paper map. Then ideally navigate out with a compass, or walk a bearing with the inReach.

I navigate solely with the inReach mini in this manner. Works fine but you have to still do your part

ozyclint

WKR
Like others have said it is basically just points you to a way point so yes it will get you back to your truck but that's about the limit of it. Even the simple garmin eTrex10 has vastly more features for GPS use.