Inreach Mini check message interval.

muddydogs

WKR
Thought I would put this out there since I didn't know this about the Mini. Just got a mini Inreach and noticed it wasn't checking for messages very often, figured no problem I probably just need to adjust the message interval. Well there is a problem, the Mini only checks every hour, can't be changed, or checks whenever messages are sent or track points are sent. This sucks since the Earthmate app went to hell I switch to ONX so if I do any tracking it will be with ONX plus I don't track very often anyway. So if you have a Mini and want to keep closer tabs on incoming messages you will have to manually check for mail every once in a while.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, in my field tests, and from what Garmin CS said, it does not even check for messages with tracking points. It checks at the time a message is sent, 10 minuets after the message is sent, then once an hour. No way to change it. I set tracking points to every ten minuets for an hour and a half (in an area where I knew I had good satellite reception), then sent myself a message after I knew it had done its check. I found two things, first tracking points did not update every 10 minuets (it would send 6 of them all at once) most of the time. Second, when I turned tracking on and it sent the first tracking point, it did not receive the message I sent it.

These changes are made for battery preservation. For my uses I can work with it. However, for other uses, such as SAR work, this is not acceptable and introduces a failure point. Plus, tracking more than once an hour is worthless as it does not send the tracking points. This greatly expands the search area if I was to fall down a hole where messages could not get out. Still better than a PLB from that aspect though.

The GPSMAP 66i also functions like the mini (it is primarily a navigator, SATCOM second). So, if you need or want quicker communications, you need the inReach Explorer+.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So they must’ve changed something since my subscription expired in December 2019. I was sending and receiving messages within a few Minutes of each other, using the Earthmate app.

I never tried the tracking feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If the person replies to you within 10 minutes, it will get the message as it checks 10 minutes after you send one. If they reply to you at the 12 minute mark, it will be about an hour until the mini gets the message.

As long as the above situation never happens when it is time critical, I doubt most people would notice. I know a guy who uses the mini for work, and he was very surprised when I brought the above limitation up as he had never had an issue. I only noticed it because I read the manual when I got mine in early 2019. Even knowing about it, I had to intentionally test it to be certain as I did not notice in actual use.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If the person replies to you within 10 minutes, it will get the message as it checks 10 minutes after you send one. If they reply to you at the 12 minute mark, it will be about an hour until the mini gets the message.

As long as the above situation never happens when it is time critical, I doubt most people would notice. I know a guy who uses the mini for work, and he was very surprised when I brought the above limitation up as he had never had an issue. I only noticed it because I read the manual when I got mine in early 2019. Even knowing about it, I had to intentionally test it to be certain as I did not notice in actual use.

ok that makes perfect sense as that was how I was messaging my wife. Thanks!

Hootybob

FNG
I just bought a mini this week and still looking thru the plan options. One thing I haven't been able to find out is if someone texts you back, does this count towards one of your limited texts if you only have one of the non-unlimited text plans? Thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, it does (95 percent confident). I don't pay enough attention to my bill to be certain. My three presets (which are free) cover everything I need for none emergency check in. I use the cheapest plan and at most pay $15 on the months when I text more, or send more tracking points.

I figure, if I need more than the basic check-in, I will not mind paying a little for it. I also let everyone know it costs to text me, so not to send needless messages.

My presets are:
Checking in, everything is ok.
Stoping/camping here.
Moving/breaking camp.

I included my map share web address and password in the present, so people will not have to remember it.

My quick text messages are all targeted at SOS situations and allowing SAR to anticipate resources needs and urgency. Some times you might just need a hand to walking out and have the gear to hunker down and wait, so SAR should take less risk. Other times ever hour counts or they need to bring a technical rescue team (if minutes or seconds count SAR is unlikely to arrive in time). I figure if my phone gets trashed and I'm not in the best condition, I don't want to be typing much free text on the inReach as it is a pain, or I may have other things I need to focus on. If you do this, set them up with generic things that you have the capability of actually knowing. An example would be "fell greater than 20 feet" which to us in medicine says there are probably major injuries. The problem with this is most people lack the experience for an accurate assessment in the best of circumstances and having a team take the risk of a helicopter extraction, when walking out with assistance would have worked, needlessly risks lives.

I need to get off of the soap box, but I will say, get you Wilderness First Responder and take a Stop the Bleed class. The life you save could be your own or a loved ones. CPR in the back country is almost always futile, but get that too as most of your life is probably spent where it would make a difference.

OP
M

muddydogs

WKR
Look at the plans and look at your usage. I go with the cheapest plan and pay the $.50 a message overage charge when I use it a lot during hunting season. I figure that I can afford to pay for a few messages over the basic plan instead of paying near double for a plan with more messages that won't get used except for a month a year. If you track then you may want a higher plan, I hardly track and when I do I use my phone mapping app instead of the Inreach.

hikenhunt

WKR
Interesting. Didn't know that, but doesn't really affect me. If I wind up waiting for a message, I'll be sure to manually check for it now though

scroll up or down on the main menu to the 'mail check' page. on that page it says 'select OK to check mail'.
push the OK button to check mail at any time.

I was going to respond to the thread but you beat me to it. You can "check for messages" on the main menu whenever you want. Otherwise you are relegated to the "every hour". I did the check for messages a lot last year and it worked fine.

Another note is you can edit your subscription through garmin whenever you want (you just must do so for the month). I use the minimum plan until september and then use the unlimited as I am able to keep in touch with the wife/kids as well as work. I know this makes some people cringe but it allows me to spend 2-3 weeks in the woods instead of one. Ill make that sacrifice all day.