InReach Mini Cons

cavicity2

FNG
I’m planning my second elk trip. OTC Colorado. I’ve been reading and hearing about packing an InReach. When I look at all the features of the different models it seems like the Garmin Mini has all the same functionality if interfacing with a smart phone app. Plus it is smaller/ lighter. Am I missing something about the Mini?

Trial153

WKR
Half the battery life and less functionality if your not paired with your phone.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
It really depends on how you are going to use it, I only use mine to occasionally send a text or for an emergency. On my elk hunt I was out in the field for 15 days and used it to text once every day, I had it turned on for 15 min each time and I had over half of the battery still left at the end of the trip. I almost forgot, I got weather updates 3 or 4 times as well so using it this way the battery life isn't an issue. IMO the biggest con of the mini is if your phone goes out, you will not have fun typing a text message. You can send preset texts easily but I have found that presets are fairly generic and limited in their effectiveness, presets do however let people know that you are okay.

On my January deer hunt last year I was using my phone to get video and pic from my spotting scope so I had the phone out of its safety case, I ended up dropping my slippery case less phone and it landed perfectly on a rock making my screen go black and the phone unusable for anything, so IMO the biggest con of the mini is if you break your phone.

I’ve used one for about a year. Agree with JPD above. No regrets on the mini. I also only turned it on when I needed to use it. Worked great.

OP
C

cavicity2

FNG
Thanks for the input. I plan to use it pretty minimally, and only can manage 7 days in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yates

FNG
I got one this past fall and very pleased. Used it only for checking in at the evening via text and turning it off otherwise and the battery life lasted for more than I needed. I was impressed with mine, I'd buy it again.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
So I am in the same boat, I will only be using it to pair with my phone to send a couple texts a day, nothing else. Mini seems like the obvious choice right? Assuming you dont break your phone or let the battery die.

87TT

WKR
I think it works like the reg Inreach. Your wife can ping you for a location if you are not using the track function. I have the full size and don't text too often. I leave it on when I leave camp and turn it on when I get back to camp. The battery lasts 5 days or so. Since I am usually solo, I don't want to have to try to turn it on if I get injured or worse be unconscious. You can also turn on the tracking and let it lay a track then turn off tracking to save the battery.

I think it works like the reg Inreach. Your wife can ping you for a location if you are not using the track function. I have the full size and don't text too often. I leave it on when I leave camp and turn it on when I get back to camp. The battery lasts 5 days or so. Since I am usually solo, I don't want to have to try to turn it on if I get injured or worse be unconscious. You can also turn on the tracking and let it lay a track then turn off tracking to save the battery.
Awesome thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to try and locate one before Saturday and give it a try. Anyone have one for sale?

JLW66

FNG
I bought the mini last fall for my Colorado elk hunt. Exo had a podcast on back country accidents and what exactly happens when you push the emergency button. Its worth the time to listen to it. Just from a safety perspective. The one thing i didnt think about was if you are in a place that doesnt have cell service and you have an auto accident, you can use the inreach or whatever like device to reach out for help. I think most of us have been in a place in the mountains or the backcountry that has a road and no service. If you spend time alone outdoors, its really an option that a person needs.

I used a mini last year in Montana. Battery life was fine for a couple days at a time, always on clipped on pack. I did have to charge after that. I carry a charger since I run on x on my phone anyway, so only a short charging cord was needed.
Only my second year camping solo away from the truck. So the piece of mind was worth it for myself and the wife.

gerardoxg

FNG
I’m also interests in a Mini.

What are you guys doing for the service contract? Activate for a month and then deactivate?

87TT

WKR
Cost you more that way. Just get the basic plan and keep it all year. Cheap insurance.

jmez

WKR
I’m also interests in a Mini.

What are you guys doing for the service contract? Activate for a month and then deactivate?

The only drawback is it is really hard to send s message if not paired with a phone. You would want to stick with the pre set messages.

For me, it is not intuitive to use either. May want to spend some time with it and the instructions before venturing out with it.

That is what I do. Unless the rate has changed it is cheaper to do that than subscribe for a full year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have a mini and love it, if for nothing else than peace of mind in the backcountry. I have the basic plan and do the annual contract because service is spotty in Montana and I take it along while hiking, skiing etc to make sure I can reach someone in an emergency. The preset messages are nice for just checking in and letting someone know you are ok without having the per message charges. Battery life is good if you turn on only when needed, otherwise you’ll have to have a way to charge it for multi day hunts

CDS8034

FNG
I’m also looking at these. Is it still possible for someone else to send you a message while you have it turned off? Will the message pop up when you power the unit on?

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m also looking at these. Is it still possible for someone else to send you a message while you have it turned off? Will the message pop up when you power the unit on?

Yes, it the message will show up shortly after you turn it back on.

You can’t cheat the mountain

FlyGuy

WKR
One other thing to consider - I bought one of the original delorme (pre-garmin) SE models 2nd hand about 3 years ago for pretty cheap and It still does everything the I need it to. It’s functionality the same as the mini as I understand it. It’s larger, but doesn’t have much weight to it. Like most, I use the phone app for everything, so it just stays clipped onto my pack. Battery life is incredibly good on those old units. I haven’t looked them up in a while, but I think they were selling for about 1/3rd the cost of new.

You can’t cheat the mountain