Inreach Mini or Something Better?

Marble

WKR
Using it with your phone is super easy. Download the Ap, create your account on Garmin, since the device and that's it. I strap it to my pack or bino harness and then just use my phone. Once you pair it, you can pretty much ignore the inreach and use your phone. It will last for days if used sparingly.

For charging get an Anker charger and can recharge many many times.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Really great practical info here - thanks everyone. I'm very interested in battery life if you use all of the capabilities, including having it paired with a cell phone *AND* the Garmin Infinity. We are looking at 9 days in the field, with a 10k Anker and only phone, watch, Mini and headlamps that may need charging.

Marble

WKR
I would start traveling around with all those on and using them all. Then use the anker to charge it and see how it goes.

I know my 13000 anker will recharge my phone 4 times.

tdhanses

WKR
I didn't think of this until now...

Since the InReach have a number so others can text you, can you text from InReach unit to InReach unit?

could be useful in areas with no cell service and when radios don't work so well.

Yup and my buddy and I do this every year.

rwcole

FNG
What does it cost to use the inreach sevice, each month? Or do you have to buy it for the year?

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
What does it cost to use the inreach sevice, each month? Or do you have to buy it for the year?
You can do a Google search for pricing and services, but you can do monthly or yearly depending upon how often you expect to use it. Monthly is more expensive than yearly though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin offers both annual and monthly plans. The monthly freedom plans are a little more expensive, but you can cancel at any time rather than be under contract. There are also different tiers of services based on user preference. The more features provided, the lighter your pocketbook will become. :D

Catahoula

WKR
I’ll likely end up with a Garmin 66i. I have an old Garmin 62 stc with OnX chip, but I would like the emergency communication the 66i has. It’s expensive but worth it to me if you need EMS.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a way to limit the texts you receive if you pair the mini to your phone? I’d likely get the 10/month plan and use it just to check in once per day. It would get expensive quick though if I have to receive and pay for all the normal texts I get in a day.

TripleJ

WKR
Is there a way to limit the texts you receive if you pair the mini to your phone? I’d likely get the 10/month plan and use it just to check in once per day. It would get expensive quick though if I have to receive and pay for all the normal texts I get in a day.

Your normal texts to your phone will not come through on the inreach. Only the texts sent to your inreach text number which is a separate number from your phone number. You can read them on your phone via bluetooth. If you don't give out your inreach text number you should be fine. Just tell whoever you are texting on the inreach to limit their responses.

FlyGuy

WKR
I though you only got charged for outgoing texts, not incoming? Maybe I’ve got that wrong?

You can’t cheat the mountain

rmees1

FNG
check out new GPSmap 66i. Per garmin it is a mix of normal gps and inreach. Brian Call had a garmin rep on his podcast recently talking about it if you want more information.

Mutto

FNG
Wow. I have obviously been in the dark about comms in no cell service area. Very glad I found this thread guys. Will have to check this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your normal texts to your phone will not come through on the inreach. Only the texts sent to your inreach text number which is a separate number from your phone number. You can read them on your phone via bluetooth. If you don't give out your inreach text number you should be fine. Just tell whoever you are texting on the inreach to limit their responses.

So, word of warning...your inreach text number is not "yours," and it can change frequently. The only way for someone to send a text message to you that you receive on your inreach is for you to send them one first that they then reply to.

muddydogs

WKR
So, word of warning...your inreach text number is not "yours," and it can change frequently. The only way for someone to send a text message to you that you receive on your inreach is for you to send them one first that they then reply to.
The above is mostly true. If you set up your Map Share page then the people you give Map Share permission to can send you a message from Map Share. I have my wife set up in Map Share in case I forget to send her a message she has a way to contact me.
When I get to my camp site or sometime even before I leave town I send a multi recipient Inreach message with a quick text saying I don't have cell service and if you need to contact me reply to this message.
Defiantly don't rely on the Inreach text number, it could be valid for a few day or months but eventually it will change.

The above is mostly true. If you set up your Map Share page then the people you give Map Share permission to can send you a message from Map Share. I have my wife set up in Map Share in case I forget to send her a message she has a way to contact me.
When I get to my camp site or sometime even before I leave town I send a multi recipient Inreach message with a quick text saying I don't have cell service and if you need to contact me reply to this message.
Defiantly don't rely on the Inreach text number, it could be valid for a few day or months but eventually it will change.

Haven't done the Map Share thing. Is it worth it?

The one function I would love is to be able to send an out of office email that says "in the event of an emergency you can reach me this way: bla bla bla," as I have a number of folks that might need to get ahold of me for one reason or another.