inReach mini question

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone!
I am looking into getting a garmin inReach Mini, but I am just contemplating the service plans before buying. I would be fine using one of the plans with less custom messages, but I understand it still costs you a custom message when you receive a text message. Is there a way to pick and choose what text messages you open to make sure you aren't charged for less important messages? Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
No.
Just pick a plan that gives you more then youd think youd need and call it a day.
For me that's unlimited. While I would rather not send and receive texts while I am hunting unfortunately it's Necessary evil at this point. The last thing I want do is be thinking about keeping track of the number of messages or rationing them.
The unit has a counter on it by the way however you have to go into settings and look for it. I am not messing with it. If I need to text or my wife ir kids need to text me ...text away

OP
S

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. I am getting this as a safety device only and was hoping to stick to the cheaper of the plans. In my case (no wife or kids) there isn’t anything that can’t wait until I get out of the mountains. With that said, I likely would receive greater than 10 texts per month (spam, random people who don’t know I’m hunting, etc.). There’s no way to ignore such text messages?

Without wife and kids get the small plan. I have wife and kids and got the small. Had 40 extra messages because my wife found it too easy to text me on silly things. Cost me $10 extra. But, it let me get out in the field. I might go one step up for next year.

It's a small price to pay.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. I am getting this as a safety device only and was hoping to stick to the cheaper of the plans. In my case (no wife or kids) there isn’t anything that can’t wait until I get out of the mountains. With that said, I likely would receive greater than 10 texts per month (spam, random people who don’t know I’m hunting, etc.). There’s no way to ignore such text messages?

Your only going to be receiving texts from whomever is in your contacts on inreach, whoever you text can reply. Same with email. Your not going to be getting all your personal text and emails until you have service.

Send a Message to an inReach Device | Garmin Support

rbljack

WKR
I have three preset messages that I use. The wife knows that they are just an update for her, and no need to respond if I message her first with.

First preset is Yes (or) In camp, everything is fine. Second preset is No (or) stopped here for now, everything is ok. Third preset is "Just checking in to say hi and everything is fine. Remember I only have xx messages a month, but if you need something, message.

So the reason I set mine up that way is so the wife can message me a question, and my reply will be one of the presets. The third preset is just the "everything is ok"...plus a reminder that there is a limit to the number of free messages before I go over the planned amount. But no matter what, message if its important.

So she can send messages with questions, and my responses are Preset messages that don't count towards the monthly limits. But no, to answer your question...I don't think you can do what you asked about.

OP
S

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. If only people in my contact lists can text me I will be just fine with the small plan.