InReach mini troubleshooting - website is zero help

Bluto

WKR
Okay folks, hopefully users actually have this figured out. New inreach mini, won't receive messages. At least not reliably. (Probably should have stayed with SPOT, but it's time to go hunting and need a messenger.)

Sends messages fine from what I can tell. Near instantaneously. Will not receive messages, even if the wife just replies to the message she received. Same from my phone, can receive from the InReach but the InReach doesn't receive anything. Tried the phone number (understand this doesn't always work and is unreliable,) but also my inreach address. Nothing.

Firmware won't update. Garmin express is like most Garmin softwares - useless. Same as their maritime and their aviation softwares.

Anyone have suggestions for this one?

Rob5589

WKR
They were recently having messaging issues with ATT devices. Are you using an ATT device to send or receive?

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Interesting. No, actually it's from verizon service phones, and from other InReach devices.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yep. Maddening.

Can send to any phone, good. To another inreach, good.

Cannot receive from some phones, some times, but not others. Have yet to receive a message from an inreach device.

Anyone have a guess? This seems bizarre that the issue is only incoming. I have one way communication with two different friends’ inReach devices.

Rob5589

WKR
Interesting. No, actually it's from verizon service phones, and from other InReach devices.
No problem a week ago with mine and the wife's Verizon IPhone. The only issue I have is the BT to my phone while trying to use the Earthmate app.

Go into the app and settings. Click on your inreach. There should be a button to check for new messages about half way down. Click that

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
It’s picked up to intermittent from nothing, still unable to receive from another inreach.

No ATT devices involved, so the mystery continues.

All setting are up to date, and I’ve “pushed” for messages multiple times, no effect.

Heard a rumor that turning tracking on with a new device can “get things goin” so we’ll try that and see. Never thought my GPS would need a laxative.

dla

WKR
Apologies for responding to a necro-thread....

I just have to ask the obvious: did you realize that the mini only checks for incoming messages hourly? There are exceptions to that of course, but it can be very frustrating if you are expecting cell phone texting speed.

JPD350

WKR
The fastest way to solve your issue is to call them, They will know what to do or if you have a problem unit.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you forcing a manual check? The mini only automatically listens for messages 10 minuets after a message is sent and then once an hour. You can manually tell it to check any time you want though.

Edit: I see this is a zombie thread.