Inreach mini vs zoleo

Great information here. It would be nice to hear from someone who has used both. In my day job I work with a lot of folks that work alone in the backcountry and the remote parts of Alaska. They all swear by the inReach, although I don't have any comparative information to contribute.

Just researching both for the best fit.
Question - Can you message to you hunting partner in the backcountry if you your using the same system between units? If so is there a lag time or is it instant?
I don't know, because nobody else in my party had another unit.

I don't think it would be instant in any case, because the unit would need to be constant checking in for messages, and you get the set the interval (in minutes) that it checks.

If you and your buddy (or crew) are both (or all) on an inReach you message each other directly using your inReach addresses. Someone can't message you directly from a phone unless you send them a message first so they can respond. Now with inReach to Zoleo, Zoleo to inReach would you be able to message the other in any way???

Edit: I read above Zoleo has a dedicated number so in theory the inReach user could message the Zoleo first and then go from there? I also assume that since the Zoleo has a dedicated number two Zoleo users would just communicate directly with those numbers?
I can't speak very much to the inReach capabilities. But yes anyone with a phone can message me to my Zoleo number and vice versa. That includes Zoleo to Zoleo.

I went with the zoleo and no regrets. Works great and plans are a little more flexible than garmin. The only reason I would consider swapping to I’m reach down road is for compatibility with instinct watch:

Superdoo

WKR
If you and your buddy (or crew) are both (or all) on an inReach you message each other directly using your inReach addresses. Someone can't message you directly from a phone unless you send them a message first so they can respond. Now with inReach to Zoleo, Zoleo to inReach would you be able to message the other in any way???

Edit: I read above Zoleo has a dedicated number so in theory the inReach user could message the Zoleo first and then go from there? I also assume that since the Zoleo has a dedicated number two Zoleo users would just communicate directly with those numbers?
Has anybody confirmed the above?

Flyjunky

WKR
I'm researching both right now as well. I don't know anything about either of them other than what's been said on this thread.

When you say the InReach doesn't have a dedicated number, does that number change? I guess I'm confused on that part.

I'm researching both right now as well. I don't know anything about either of them other than what's been said on this thread.

When you say the InReach doesn't have a dedicated number, does that number change? I guess I'm confused on that part.
InReach: any time you active/deactivate your account you will receive a new number, keep it activated all year and you’ll keep your number.

Zoleo: anytime you activate/deactivate your account you will receive a new number. However, you can suspend your account for $4/month and keep your same number.

Flyjunky

WKR
InReach: any time you active/deactivate your account you will receive a new number, keep it activated all year and you’ll keep your number.

Zoleo: anytime you activate/deactivate your account you will receive a new number. However, you can suspend your account for $4/month and keep your same number.

Thank you! That's what I was figuring.

Superdoo

WKR
I was doing some comparisons yesterday and came upon one thing that pushes me towards the Garmin.
The garmin mini allows you to make a waypoint from the coordinates in a message and then
navigate towards that point.

For me the ability to easily go meet/ save a partner on the unit is pretty valuable.
This is more valuable when the types of mapping that Zoleo brings up on the phone are vague at best. Reading the Zoleo website, it lead me to believe that if I viewed the coordinates from a message that they would be brought up in iMap.
If that's true and I'm in an area without cell coverage, I would be looking at a bunch of green or white.

Please correct me if any of the above is misguided.

In my experience the number is the same to the person you message, but if you message a different person then the number can be different. Also I don’t think you could share that number with someone else to message the inReach? That’s why you have to send the message first so that can reply.

anyone can email your inReach address though, and that’s how you communicate inReach to inReach. The time lag can be annoying and confusing at times.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
With the Zoleo you can send your coordinates with a message. When received on my Android phone it gives me the option to open with Gaia, Backcountry Navigator, Google maps or Uber. I would assume OnX would be an option if I used it. This is one of the reasons I got it. If you get an elk down you can send the coordinates to your friends and they can come help. I would also assume you can do the same with an Inreach. You can change the delay on how often it searches for new messages or you can force it at any time. Seems quick to me.

With the Zoleo you can send your coordinates with a message. When received on my Android phone it gives me the option to open with Gaia, Backcountry Navigator, Google maps or Uber. I would assume OnX would be an option if I used it. This is one of the reasons I got it. If you get an elk down you can send the coordinates to your friends and they can come help. I would also assume you can do the same with an Inreach. You can change the delay on how often it searches for new messages or you can force it at any time. Seems quick to me.
How about communicating to another hunting partner in the backcountry also? Both have no service both have zoleo and app.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't communicated with another Zoleo user yet but it would be just like normal texting. I've only used it to communicate to some one with cell service and send my location.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
Thanks for all the input y’all!
With all your comments & more research I’ve decided I’m gna buy the zoleo. I always have my phone on me for picture taking, so that doesn’t affect my decision!

Much appreciated!!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm circling back to this thread. How did you like the Zoleo after your purchase?

I had the mini but ended up upgrading to the 66i. I didn't like that I would loose most of the functionality of it if my phone died. Plus I like carrying a backup gps anyway.

OP
Muttman

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm circling back to this thread. How did you like the Zoleo after your purchase?
My wife bought it for me for Xmas. Have used it on 2 weekend adventures. I like it so far no complaints. Very easy to use with the app on your phone. Able to communicate back & forth with my wife & sons while on a 2 day overnight icefishing trip to flaming gorge. Left unit on for whole trip & never went below 60% in single digit Temps even. I really think this unit will be with me every where I go now. Gives you weather updates based on nearest county/city which is real nice to. While playing around with it sitting on ice waiting for fish to bite, the app is fairly easy to navigate & if I wanted i could send messages to any one in my contacts. With all that said I've never owned a sat unit but its so much better than my buddy's SPOT unit. Definitely glad I have it. As a stroke (46 yr old) survivor my family is grateful I have this in case of any emergencies & to check in cuz I will not stop adventuring into the back country!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk