Inreach vs. others

mtnsterno

FNG
I am currently in the market for a backup/emergency communication device. I currently have a very old garmin gps that i carry but seldom use now that we have all the great apps on our phones. A lot of the areas i hunt i find that i have a better cell signal than at my house. The one thing i do is hunt by myself a lot, and I dont want to get caught without a signal if i find myself in an emergency. I am researching the inreach. Can anyone give me some good input for this unit or others that they have tried

BBob

WKR

jreyna

FNG
I'd like to know the same. I find myself deep in the backcountry and would like a solid option.

Ive liked my inreach mini so far. Assuming you use your phone for a map and have a plan b option if it breaks to find your way out the mini works great. Small and easy to put anywhere.

My dad had a zelle this past year and it messages fast to my inreach then going inreach to inreach. It seemed to work good also.

I've had an InReach Explorer for about a decade and use it as a stand-along text message device.
Monthly subscription is $12.99 and it is with me anytime I am outside.

I like the long battery life...after 2 weeks of a once a night preset message "back safe at camp",
the battery was at 88%. Three custom preset messages for free.

If you like you can broadcast your location to selected users on a map via Facebook or other apps.

There are 3 of us in camp and we all hunt solo, and use InReach to text to each other if some kills a moose and
needs help packing.

As a side note, I have OnX and GaiaGPS on my phone and for Alaska I prefer GaiaGPS.
It is relatively inexpensive and worth the price.

Last edited:

LOB39

FNG
I have the inreach mini and have loved it. Small but easy to use once you figure it out. Gives me peace of mind while out hunting.

Legend

WKR
Inreach customer service is horrible!!!! My credit card got stolen and when i replaced it I forgot about the automatic withdraw for my inreach....MY BAD. But they never even reached out to me ...no email....no letter. But instead sent me to a third party collection agency to recover $37. I am still pissed. I pride myself on having an outstanding credit score.