Inreach ?

Been trying out my I phone to follow a waypoint back that I have marked, is just a straight line with the arrow pointing to the straight line how your supposed to follow it? Is it just giving you the shortest route does not seem easy to follow did I miss something?

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you talking about an Inreach or an I phone? For the Inreach you just select the waypoint you want to go to and start heading towards it. The screen will move with you.

When navigating to a waypoint, the inReach (like any other GPS) gives you the straight line distance and heading from your current location to the waypoint. I use a magnetic compass (not necessary but I always carry one anyway) to set my initial heading, choose a landmark in the distance to use as a visual reference point, then start walking. As I'm walking toward the waypoint, I'll check the heading shown on the inReach every so often and adjust my course as needed.

Sobrbiker

WKR
inReach doesn’t give direction when not moving, it’s only capable of a bearing off of movement.
I just got one this summer and use the app for ease of bluetoothing msgs, and sending my location.
OnX/Basemap, etc with downloaded maps are much better choice for me when off grid, I don’t like the Earthmate app for navigation at all.

OP
B
Thought it would be better for navigation than that guess my old E trex works better! Bought it for sending messages and in a emergency.

Sobrbiker

WKR
That’s what it does well, and all I bought it for too. I hunt solo in the desert with no cell service so it’s an awesome investment, especially if the Jeep breaks down 5hrs from pavement!

I guess I'm not understanding the problem here. When I'm navigating with my inReach (directly on the device or via Earthmate), I look at the "bearing to route" and just start walking that direction. I typically use a magnetic compass to determine my initial direction of travel, but the inReach itself can also tell you your current heading. The inReach's heading value isn't always accurate if you're standing still, but just walk a few steps and it will give a better reading.

Once I know the direction to my waypoint and have myself pointed generally that way, I start walking, periodically checking the "bearing to route" shown on the inReach and adjusting my direction of travel as necessary. For example, if my initial bearing to route were 269° as in the screenshot below and after a half mile of travel the bearing to route has changed to 279°, I know that I've been veering to the south (relative to the initial straight line route) and need to adjust my direction of travel northward. I used a Garmin eTrex for years prior to buying an inReach and navigated the same way using the older device.
Screenshot_20200926-145406.png

If you are looking for an electronic trail, then you need to leave a trail of several waypoints. Or you could use Basemap or another downloadable program.

OP
B
Just seemed like it was no where near the direction the waypoint was. Well be out the rest of the week so I well work with it again. Like the compass idea. Thx

dla

WKR
If you enable tracking, will InReach "track back" to each track point? Or does that only work with waypoints?

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
The inReach will give you a heading and direction to follow. While you can use the earthmate map, I personally use the free version of GAIA. GAIA will piggyback the GPS off of the inreach. Many people use that method for expeditioning in the desert. I use the inReach more as a no-cellular-messaging device, and GAIA for my navigation. What you are trying to do is possible though.

What do you mean by piggy back?
Also if you subscribe to the freedom plan were you can buy only the months you need it cost 25 a year for activation fee,does the earthmate app and breadcrumb feature still work on the months the inreach isn’t active?

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
What do you mean by piggy back?
Also if you subscribe to the freedom plan were you can buy only the months you need it cost 25 a year for activation fee,does the earthmate app and breadcrumb feature still work on the months the inreach isn’t active?
Earthmate will still work when your Inreach isn't active and so will the tracking feature through your phones GPS. Your phone GPS does a way better job of tracking then the 10 minute interval through the Inreach but your track points won't show up anywhere but your phone until you get WIFI service and sync your phone app with the web based app then the saved track will show on the web based map.

Gaia uses your phones GPS and as far as I know Gaia will not use the GPS from the Inreach. If it does I sure hope chukwithak will enlighten us.