inReach

Trev

FNG
I hunt with a group of 7-10 guys (CO elk 3rd rifle).
We are going to add a few inReach devices this next season as the radios didn’t serve us well with a bull down.

anyone have experience with both the mini and explorer+?
We have a nice base camp and typically just hike with day packs

Attachments

• A2FD3018-A661-48D1-ADF4-64BC2DEFBBA0.jpeg
    A2FD3018-A661-48D1-ADF4-64BC2DEFBBA0.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 4B257628-C108-49CA-9E8F-636E0648E841.jpeg
    4B257628-C108-49CA-9E8F-636E0648E841.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 25

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had both (still have the Mini); if you need a fully capable gps, get the regular- if have gps covered by you phone (ie gaigps or other) get the Mini

Definitely get Earthmate loaded on your phone to ease use of texting (it’s painful on the Mini by itself)

I don’t leave home without mine.

OP
T

Trev

FNG
I’ve had both (still have the Mini); if you need a fully capable gps, get the regular- if have gps covered by you phone (ie gaigps or other) get the Mini

Definitely get Earthmate loaded on your phone to ease use of texting (it’s painful on the Mini by itself)

I don’t leave home without mine.
Thank you! I use onX, so maybe the mini is the right direction. Thanks for the advice on earthmate

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with mtwarden. Messaging with the mini is painfully slow, so I pair it with my IPhone and use the app. And since I always bring my phone to use onX and the camera, the mini was a better fit for me. I've used mine on a handful of trips over the last year and have been very happy with it.

I already had a Garmin Rino. Getting the Explorer would 've been kind of redundant and added extra bulk that wasn't necessary.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the InReach mini and run both the Earthmate app and OnX on my phone. The inReach is great and I would definitely recommend it. And the Earthmate app makes sending and receiving messages much easier. The only thing is, I would not rely on the Earthmate app as my sole map capability. I've had numerous issues using their maps. But, the primary reason I have the app is for the messaging. So, it's not a big deal to me.

AZ8

WKR
Been looking at the mini.

I like the Freedom plan option. Since I’ll be using this mostly during scouting/hunting seasons, is there an activation fee every time I reinstate after suspending?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
There is a yearly fee that they just raised. I think it is 29.99 a year. Then you pay by the month. You can do it all online, just don't forget or they charge you

Reactions: AZ8

Koterman

FNG
I have the InReach Mini. Definitely download the Earthmate App for easy texting. I use it with Gaia GPS on my phone and works good. I was a little disappointed in GPS reception as it will lose signal in clear sky sometimes for no reason. Also texts can sometimes take 10+ minutes to go through even with clear skys. If in a canyon or trees, doesn't work very well/at all.

All things considered it is a great device and wouldn't go in the back country without it. You just need to level set your expectations as it won't be as instant as a cell phone.

OP
T

Trev

FNG
I agree with mtwarden. Messaging with the mini is painfully slow, so I pair it with my IPhone and use the app. And since I always bring my phone to use onX and the camera, the mini was a better fit for me. I've used mine on a handful of trips over the last year and have been very happy with it.

I already had a Garmin Rino. Getting the Explorer would 've been kind of redundant and added extra bulk that wasn't necessary.

OP
T

Trev

FNG
Thank you!
I have the InReach Mini. Definitely download the Earthmate App for easy texting. I use it with Gaia GPS on my phone and works good. I was a little disappointed in GPS reception as it will lose signal in clear sky sometimes for no reason. Also texts can sometimes take 10+ minutes to go through even with clear skys. If in a canyon or trees, doesn't work very well/at all.

All things considered it is a great device and wouldn't go in the back country without it. You just need to level set your expectations as it won't be as instant as a cell phone.
we hunt 57 near gunnison. ~11,000ft and in the thick... sometimes a mountain between groups. Will the messaging even be an option?

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
can multiple phones be paired with a single device?

According to a quick google search, I think the answer is no.

"Although you cannot connect more than one phone at a time to the device, you can save multiple phones on the Garmin GPS as friendly devices. If more than one friendly device is within range of your Garmin GPS, the GPS connects to the phone with which it was most recently connected."

OP
T

Trev

FNG

"Although you cannot connect more than one phone at a time to the device, you can save multiple phones on the Garmin GPS as friendly devices. If more than one friendly device is within range of your Garmin GPS, the GPS connects to the phone with which it was most recently connected."
That’s helpful, thanks. Wanted to confirm we could switch between phones at camp as needed.

TBHasler

WKR

That’s just pairing the inreach device with a phone - your phone. Every message sent through inreach goes into space, hits a satellite and returns to the recipients device - its like magic.
This will work for what your intended purpose is - but many times the sat communication isn’t not instant. May take a few mins or longer for messages to be received so it is not real time like two way radios. But, it will work for what you’ve described
Good lick

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
That’s just pairing the inreach device with a phone - your phone. Every message sent through inreach goes into space, hits a satellite and returns to the recipients device - its like magic.
This will work for what your intended purpose is - but many times the sat communication isn’t not instant. May take a few mins or longer for messages to be received so it is not real time like two way radios. But, it will work for what you’ve described
Good lick

It will always prioritize the most recent device. And it will only send and receive messages to the device it's paired with. Once that message is sent to said device it won't resend the message to another device once it is paired to that one.

I took the OP's question as him wanting to pair multiple phones at the same time to one device, and as long as they're within blue tooth range, they all get the message. I don't think the inreach works that way.

TBHasler

WKR
I might have misunderstood the OP, but I don’t think so. He mentioned long range communications between his large group of hunters, sometimes with Mtns in between them. Bluetooth isn’t an option here.
Agreed - you can only pair one device at a time to an inreach.

If you have groups using radios and want to replace with inreach, you’ll need as many inreach devices as you would radios. Likely not one for each individual but at least one device per group.

If your out of radio and cell reach, satellite or smoke signals are your options for communicating.

Koterman

FNG
Thank you!

we hunt 57 near gunnison. ~11,000ft and in the thick... sometimes a mountain between groups. Will the messaging even be an option?
Messaging will work perfect at that elevation. Mountains in between aren't a problem as long as you have clear view of the sky.

OP
T

Trev

FNG
Messaging will work perfect at that elevation. Mountains in between aren't a problem as long as you have clear view of the sky.
Thanks. I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled on the classifieds now!

OP
T

Trev

FNG
I might have misunderstood the OP, but I don’t think so. He mentioned long range communications between his large group of hunters, sometimes with Mtns in between them. Bluetooth isn’t an option here.
Agreed - you can only pair one device at a time to an inreach.

If you have groups using radios and want to replace with inreach, you’ll need as many inreach devices as you would radios. Likely not one for each individual but at least one device per group.

If your out of radio and cell reach, satellite or smoke signals are your options for communicating.
Yea - we are about an hour away from cell service, and we would like to have an emergency contact for our families too.

we carry one radio per group, it’s spotty at best with nice walkers. These would be in addition to the radios. A group had a bull down right before sunset and had to light a decent fire a couple years ago.