Insert Issue with Easton Axis arrows

Brendan

WKR
Nice to know I was not alone in my need to beef up axis arrows. I’ll happily buy collars and direct bond for a performance upgrade. If stock works for you and you like shooting the same arrow set up that a child would have then go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The components that Aron and Bill V at Iron Will designed were designed around Micro Diameter arrows. NOT .204 AXIS.

Seriously, now you're just coming off as a sideshow.

OP
M

MADD BEAR

FNG
The components that Aron and Bill V at Iron Will designed were designed around Micro Diameter arrows. NOT .204 AXIS.

Seriously, now you're just coming off as a sideshow.

You are wrong. The Aron guy said right in his video he uses a .204 and was using Bills HIT inserts and gluing them like I do.

Going to stop replying now. Said all I need to say. I wish everyone good hunts in the future. Be safe out there. Thanks for everyone who replied, it was a great discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Did Ranch Fairy change his name and come back on here? 🤦‍♂️
LOL, I was just going to comment something very similar.

I'm in the same boat as most here, I've been shooting HIT's in multiple 4 & 5mm arrows for over 10 years and have had zero issues with breaking heads or smashing arrows.

If you're worried about the integrity then go with the IW system, but threads are not getting stripped and having your threads bottomed out actually make the system more rigid and will cause the head to snap off right where the thread and the insert meet because there is no room to bend, having the shank of the head above the insert and threads allows room for a little bit of bending or give which is actually more durable than something that will just break off. Several broadhead manufacturers use softer steel on their threads than the ferrule for this exact reason.

HIT's are no different than any other insert out there, all of the inserts have threads deeper than the threads on a broadhead or Field Point. A bolt/thread is designed to clamp the head down to the shaft and that is why the bottom of the ferrules are squared and the end of the threads are not. If your shaft is square and your head is tight against that square surface then there should be zero give-on impact, unsquare arrows cause broken ferrules.

If you're having to rotate your inserts to get them to spin true your arrows are not square because if your arrows are truly square then all the rotating in the world won't make them spin any different. Only an untrue arrow will change on rotation. The only reason to rotate your broadhead on a square arrow is to align it with the vanes or if you're really picky the spine of the arrow, which neither of those things makes a difference for 99% of archers.

Valkyrie makes a center pin system if you really don't want to deal with threads.

You must really go through a lot of targets because even though I hunt for food, I shoot thousands of arrows a year through my bows and wear out a lot of targets and I only shoot broadheads for a couple of weeks leading up to hunting season. I personally think shooting the exact arrows and broadheads your hunting with far outweighs any minimal gain in strength from hot melting your broadhead and insert in together.

Brendan

WKR
You are wrong. The Aron guy said right in his video he uses a .204 and was using Bills HIT inserts and gluing them like I do.

Going to stop replying now. Said all I need to say. I wish everyone good hunts in the future. Be safe out there. Thanks for everyone who replied, it was a great discussion.

One thing to keep in mind: Aron is a trad archer and gets everything for free. Directly From Iron Will:

"THE SNYDER CORE SYSTEM, new for 2021 —> Co-developed with aron snyder to meet the need for an improved broadhead and component system for micro diameter arrows."

nphunter

WKR
One thing to keep in mind: Aron is a trad archer and gets everything for free. Directly From Iron Will:

"THE SNYDER CORE SYSTEM, new for 2021 —> Co-developed with aron snyder to meet the need for an improved broadhead and component system for micro diameter arrows."

IMO the biggest issue with the 4mm isn't durability but it's the lack of heads with the D6 system. I shot D6 for 7 or 8 years and never had a single ferrule failure on a lot of kills and probably even more whiffed shots into trees and brush.

Brendan

WKR
IMO the biggest issue with the 4mm isn't durability but it's the lack of heads with the D6 system. I shot D6 for 7 or 8 years and never had a single ferrule failure on a lot of kills and probably even more whiffed shots into trees and brush.

Agree, which is less of an issue if you're just going to run Iron Will Heads, but also lighted nocks are a problem if you want to run them. At my draw length and weight I've had multiple failures on the very first shot out of the package when testing them with Micro Diameter arrows. I haven't even gotten to test the Nock Flex / Consistency issues I've heard others talk about because mine have just flat out failed.

nphunter

WKR
Agree, which is less of an issue if you're just going to run Iron Will Heads, but also lighted nocks are a problem if you want to run them. At my draw length and weight I've had multiple failures on the very first shot out of the package when testing them with Micro Diameter arrows. I haven't even gotten to test the Nock Flex / Consistency issues I've heard others talk about because mine have just flat out failed.

I've avoided lighted nocks altogether due to all the issues I've read about. I wouldn't mind shooting them in my 5mm, they would be awesome for recovering arrows after the shot but a hit in accuracy wouldn't be worth it to me.

I cant be the only one that looked at the footers and shit a little seeing that price.
ill just keep replacing arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
I've avoided lighted nocks altogether due to all the issues I've read about. I wouldn't mind shooting them in my 5mm, they would be awesome for recovering arrows after the shot but a hit in accuracy wouldn't be worth it to me.

Back to this - Even though I won't run them in 4mm I've found they work great in 5mm. I don't run them all season for practice because the lighting mechanism will fail eventually, but I don't find any accuracy hit at all when I switch to them for hunting season. I've been using Nockturnal.

nphunter

WKR
Back to this - Even though I won't run them in 4mm I've found they work great in 5mm. I don't run them all season for practice because the lighting mechanism will fail eventually, but I don't find any accuracy hit at all when I switch to them for hunting season. I've been using Nockturnal.
Do you add weight to your regular nocks or does the added weight of the lighted not change POI enough to matter?

Brendan

WKR
Do you add weight to your regular nocks or does the added weight of the lighted not change POI enough to matter?

I did not add weight or print a new tape. I think it's a 10 grain difference or something like that? So, I think a very minor change at long range, but I just practiced enough to know how many yards I needed to add as I got out there in yardage (I think we're talking a couple yards at ~85 If I remember right)

Honest answer is that where I really need these are the closer range whitetail shots in timber or where I need to be sure I recover an arrow from a field, and those shots aren't going to be what I might encounter on an Elk anyways.

nphunter

WKR
I did not add weight or print a new tape. I think it's a 10 grain difference or something like that? So, I think a very minor change at long range, but I just practiced enough to know how many yards I needed to add as I got out there in yardage (I think we're talking a couple yards at ~85 If I remember right)

Honest answer is that where I really need these are the closer range whitetail shots in timber or where I need to be sure I recover an arrow from a field, and those shots aren't going to be what I might encounter on an Elk anyways.

I have lost a couple of arrows elk hunting that I wish I would have recovered to get an idea of blood or at least a clean miss or not. I've chosen to sit and wait before the recovery prior to looking and ended up making good shots but it would have been nice to find the arrow. We hunt in really dark thick timber where a lighted nock would show up really well, I've hunted a long time without them so I don't know if I will mess with them or not.

They would be great for my kids in our field, I would spend way less time looking for arrows for sure!

Brendan

WKR
I have lost a couple of arrows elk hunting that I wish I would have recovered to get an idea of blood or at least a clean miss or not. I've chosen to sit and wait before the recovery prior to looking and ended up making good shots but it would have been nice to find the arrow. We hunt in really dark thick timber where a lighted nock would show up really well, I've hunted a long time without them so I don't know if I will mess with them or not.

They would be great for my kids in our field, I would spend way less time looking for arrows for sure!
Buy some Nockturnals and try them out.

Brendan

WKR
Wow, apparently I must have struck a nerve.... Can't take the criticism in an insert thread so resorts to this?

So, where does this rank with Alone Guy and Ranch Fairy?

1613610914382.png

Brendan

WKR
He wants to get out of line and broadcast his own insecurities by Private Message, I'll just post it up for everyone to see until he gets himself kicked out of here permanently. In reality, we'll all probably be better off when that happens.