Insert question

LostArra

WKR
I shoot Gold Tip arrows with .246 ID. I want a 50 grain insert.
Is a short 50 gr brass stronger than the GT 50 gr aluminum insert?

I've used 100 gr brass and typically just cut it for a 50 grain brass. I don't mind cutting 100's. I've got plenty.

Or is the longer 50 gr GT aluminum insert stronger?

If any of this makes sense and you have experience with these inserts let me know. Thanks

(edit: 3rivers does not have 50 gr brass for .246)

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
There is nothing wrong with aluminum inserts if they fit your needs, they have been being used for decades with zero durability issues. Everyone building ultra-durable arrows with stainless inserts, collars and heads is just a sales gimmick and fad for those of us that want to indulge in expensive custom arrows.

Out of the couple dozen animals I've killed with a bow I've never had a single arrow failure, even missing targets and digging arrows out of trees for years I've never ruined an insert. The only thing I've done is blow up arrows hitting rocks, had arrow break in half inside of animals. The only insert failures I've ever seen were with aluminum outserts, that is just a poor design at least the early ones were poorly designed and bent easily, I've stopped using them so I can't really comment on the durability of any of the half outs use in the last 5 years.

With smaller diameter shafts insert material/design can be pretty important, but with a .246" I wouldn't fret over it. I think it will be plenty strong no matter what insert you choose.

Last edited:
Stump shooting with my trad stuff I damaged brass at a higher rate than aluminum.

I have a good stash of 50 grain brass insets, but can't remember where or what they were from.

For a weighted insert I came to prefer the Top Hat 60 gr SS inserts personally.

JStol5

WKR
I shoot axis with the stock 16 grain aluminum HIT insert and a 10 grain iron will collar. They’ve been incredibly durable compared to the 25 grain aluminum half out I was using before.

From a metallurgic standpoint brass is a softer metal than aluminum. Not sure if that matters much when components are those size to create a realistic difference though. I've shot both types and couldn't really tell. I usually just shoot the aluminums because they come with the arrows unless I am trying to increase my front of center or aim for a specific total arrow weight. I have found that adding a collar is the best step to increase strength more than insert type.