Insight on switching from Solo Cam to Binary Cams on Diamond Carbon Cure

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I won a Diamond Carbon cure in a drawing. It is a solo cam design, which apparently causes cam lean. The cam cuts through the serving on the cable next to the cam module 1 or 2 times per season, depending on how much I shoot. Thus far, I have just had the serving repaired, and continued on.

This is a well-documented flaw in design that Diamond has gone away from. The bow that followed (Diamond Deploy SB) has two (binary) cams, and better reviews. My cursory google search has led me to the conclusion that the binary cams will do better at leaving my strings and cables intact.

Now for my question-can I buy the binary cams from Diamond, have the archery shop install them, and effectively turn a Diamond Carbon Cure into the Diamond Deploy SB?

This will probably cost at least 1/3 the price of a comparable bow, but I am attached to it. Plus, I haven't taken a big game animal with it yet, so it doesn't feel like I have earned the right to upgrade yet.

I will go to my local archery shop next week, but they are closed today and tomorrow and would love some input.

Thanks in advance.

Rob5589

WKR
It's entirely possible. Guys build "Frankenbows" all the time. Check out Archerytalk and see if you can locate some threads on building them.

Cams are generally pretty pricey to replace. Then you have new strings and cables to add on. I don't know but suspect the limbs will be different as well. Might be they made it all fit in the same limb cutouts. I'm not familiar enough with the diamond bows to know for certain. Just figured you are looking at $100 for strings/cables, then another $150-200 for cams. Might be a different cable guard, axle shims, and then labor.

Just trying to give you an idea ballpark.

Might be you could move shims on the cam and gain some clearance, that might make other problems tho too.

Zac

WKR
I highly doubt that Diamond or a shop would endorse mixing and matching parts in this way. The bow shop is not likely to do this build based on liability alone. I suppose if you had access to a press you could attempt this, yet I would not recommend it. My guess is that you may end up with a bunch of parts that didn't work and have to purchase another bow anyway.

OP
R

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate all the insights, gentlemen.

I may call Diamond next week, just to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. That is IF I can get past customer service to an engineer or design tech.

Zac, you make a good point about potential liability. I would understand if the shop was reluctant.

Reactions: Zac