Insoles for weenie feet..

BuckSnort

WKR
It seems no matter what shoes or boots I wear I get blisters on the balls of my feet if I'm hiking any more than 5 miles.. I'm a bigger guy usually weighing in between 200-220 on the hoof.. I have been looking close at the SuperFeet Insoles but am torn between 2 different colors/styles... Green or Orange

The Green seems to be the most popular but some REI reviews from heavier dudes like me have reported not enough cushion...

So far I am leaning towards the Orange as it seems to have a bit more cushion...

I would like to buy from REI in case I need to return/exchange as there is one down in the valley 40 miles away..

Aron, I remember you saying in one of you're vid clips here that you have week feet as well, since you are a bigger guy too (but much better shape) I'd like to know what you have found to work for you...

Any info from y'all would be appreciated..

Here's a pic of my insole showing where I get the blisters...
832acfc3.jpg

Last edited:

Curtis C

WKR
The blue Sole insoles work best for this big guy. I have tried all the ones you mention. I walk on concrete all day at work and the feet have been happy since using blue Sole and REI does carry them.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
I also should have stated that I have fairly narrow feet..I just read that the blue super feet are for wide feet...

geez, after the recent manscaping and underwear threads I was 1/2 nervous to even open a thread with weenie in the title. I almost expected Aron to be in here talking about keeping is weenis tucked into a boot so it doesn't get tangled up in thorn bushes...

I am currently using the Green in my Kenetrek boots and they have been working for me but I am not loyal to them. I am over 250lbs and they are a little "hard" but I haven't had any issues with blisters using them. I plan to try out the lathrop and sons insoles when I order my next set of boots. Unfortunate thing about insoles is you are pretty well stuck buying and trying because feet are so very different between individuals.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously not very large, or a guy, but I have had good experience wih both green and pink (women's equivalent to men's orange). The green definitely have a lot less cushion, they provide excellent support but are rather hard in the footbed. The pink is equally supportive but with softer/cushier foodbed.

I am using synergy footbeds from Lathrop and sons in my Hanwags this season, and have so far been very impressed. Several multi-day trips packing heavy loads and not so much as a hotspot, despite the boots being new and unbroken-in as of this spring. They are a completely different style of insole from the super feet...a flexible gel like insole, that doesn't add any ridgidity. My boots are full shank and so this isn't an issue, but I sure like how the super feet add stiffness to trail shoes and shank less boots.

I bought a pair of the orange superfeet last year for my Kenetreks (before everyone told me I should have bought green :D), and have been perfectly happy with them. They do have some extra cushion in the toe, and although I'm not sure I actually need it, it hasn't been an issue and they have basically molded to fit my foot in that area.

Yk

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thru-Hunter... Ya, I don't blame you for being nervous lol.... I hear ya about the different styles, I'm just hoping to get lucky and not waste $40..

Becca, Thanks, Orange is sounding like the one for me... Normally I start getting hot spots only a few miles into the hike... I'm tired of just dealing with it so I'm hoping some good insoles will fix it..

YellowKnife, Thanks, I think I pretty much have my mind set on Orange now...

Another question, do the sized match or is it best to buy one size bigger and trim to fit?

Curtis C

WKR
I do use the blue Sole insoles in my hiking boots and they work great. I also have green superfeet(because I bought the trying) in another pair of boots for easy hikes and they work fine for that.

I would imagine that exposed rubber in your old insoles would cause a blister. Its likely any insole not that worn will stop the blistering in that location.

My feet are average width and do fine with the blue Sole insoles, no different than green SF. The blue Sole insoles are thick and will consume some space in your boot so keep that in mind if you boots already fit snug.

Last edited:

mtbshark

WKR
i like the green personally, i would also look into getting some Glide for your feet it helps out tons for me!

For I as well have blister pron feet

Lawnboi

WKR
I dont know if they are talking about the blue SOLE brand soles or the superfeet blues, you may be getting them confused. The superfeet blues are made for flat footed people if im not mistaken.

The greens offer very little cushion and will compress and stay that way after alot of use. The oranges is what you want to try. The foam does not compress and imo they have enough cushion without being too cushiony? I dont like too much cushion personally because then my foot tends to slide a little more.

My reccomendation would be to go straight with the oranges and skip the greens. They are basically the same except the orange has that little extra cushion. If that still is not enough for you i would look at the heat moldable SOLE insoles. I didnt care for the SOLE ones but who knows your feet might love them.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Brother,

My foot issues are many and more than I want to type from my phone:)

Give me a call and we can shoot the chit about footwear and manscaping:) Just kidding, but call me: 720-937-1418

Man... before I had the internet I didn't know I need all this junk!... Now I feel I will be missing out if I don't at least try the darn orange ones..

So... recently I have decided I need a new neo-air, hanwagg boots, orange superfeet, sqeez filter, digi-scoping adapter, Kuiu chugach pants and gaitors.... I gotta stop reading around here or I won't be able to afford to actually GO on my hunt next month!!

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks again everyone, next trip into town I will hit REI and look into the suggested insoles...

Aron, thanks again for the help, much appreciated..

thru-hiker, don't forget a floor less shelter...Oh and cut-off blue jean shorts...lol

Jason,

I have a similar issue but more on my heels and my arch. I was looking into the orange and the green as well and ended up with the green for the increased arch support. I am loving them NOW!!! 4 weeks in ;)

It is an adjustment for your feet!!! You may only want to wear them in short bursts so keep another pair of shoes around to switch out with in my opinion. As long as I am up and moving they are great. As soon as I am forced to stand and converse for too long in the shop about accessories, bows, etc I start to feel it but I took them out about two weeks ago and did an 18 mile loop through my new unit and my feet haven't felt better honestly.

Now I am only about 155 lbs at 5'9" so I know that there are some differences there but that is my 2 cents.

Bucksnort. When you go to REI, they'll have sample SuperFeet insoles in your size, put a pair of each color on the ground and see which feels best on your feet, then put them in your boots and try on. Each of them have slightly different molds and heal cups, so make sure your heal is seated properly in the color you purchase -you should not be spilling over the edge. Due to lack of depth in my hunting boots, i use the blue SF as they take up less volume, green and orange in my running shoes.

And evan w. is 100% correct, you need to baby step into them. It is changing your biomechanics and your body needs to adapt to that. Wear for a few hours at home or running errands and work your way into wearing them more.