Insoles/lacing vs Brand - Boot Fit help?

How much of poor fitting boots is just the insoles/lacing? I have a pair of Zamberlans that I have a love/hate relationship with. Sometimes they feel flawless, other times they bruise the crap out of my achilles. For a while they hurt the balls of my feet until I got a pair of superfeet orange. That fixed the bruising but elevated the heel, so I had to peel the plastic heel cup off the insert and that helped the issue. But some days one lacing method works, and another I have to use a different system. I love the durability of these boots, and on good days they feel amazing. They also always feel fantastic with 70 lbs on my back. And now, after 5 years they're about worn out.

Do I go looking for a new manufacturer? Or do I buy a new pair of Zamberlans, now that I know most of the quirks? I feel like every other boot company that I look into has something that scares me away. My general sense after too much research is that Crispi's wear out a little too fast (rubber rand, especially) Kennetreks have spotty waterproofing record, and the soles might be a bit soft, and they're heavy. Meindl's get great reviews, I just haven't tried them. Asolo doesn't make any full rand boots in size 14. Hanwag has some interesting synthetic models, but those won't wear as long as full leather. Schnees seems to have mixed reviews about durability/waterproofing. Lowa's have fallen into my "nope" category, but I don't remember why. Same deal for Scarpa. Danner? Hahahahah! Yeah... no. Had those once upon a time and no. And to top it all off, I'm not close to a retailer that carries many of these boots for me to try them on.

In short, I love everything about my Zamberlans except for the ongoing battle for perfect fit. I also know that I do better in them when I wear them more often. Maybe my feet just need to stay in boot shape? Thoughts? Advice?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey man, I didn’t have time to read your whole post, but make sure before you make any decisions call Stephen at Lathrop and sons. They’re still the leader in fixing these foot problems, and he knows a lot about the lacing techniques. Forgive me if you mention that in your post, just trying to get you an answer and I’m on the fly! Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog1

FNG
I’m in a similar position but just starting out. I've tried Crispi Nevada, Guide, Wyoming and Idaho boots over the last few weeks. The only pair I still have is the Idaho but may sell them. While most folks say the sizing is true, I have had to go up a size to 12.5 and I’m normally an 11.5 or 12. I’ve got Asolo 520 in size 12 that fit well. I’ve spent too much money on insoles as well trying to find the perfect fit as well as lacing techniques. So far nothing is perfect and my wife said maybe Crispi boots just aren’t for me. She may be right. I have a pair of Hoffman Explorers on the way to see if it fits better.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m in a similar position but just starting out. I've tried Crispi Nevada, Guide, Wyoming and Idaho boots over the last few weeks. The only pair I still have is the Idaho but may sell them. While most folks say the sizing is true, I have had to go up a size to 12.5 and I’m normally an 11.5 or 12. I’ve got Asolo 520 in size 12 that fit well. I’ve spent too much money on insoles as well trying to find the perfect fit as well as lacing techniques. So far nothing is perfect and my wife said maybe Crispi boots just aren’t for me. She may be right. I have a pair of Hoffman Explorers on the way to see if it fits better.
we value your feedback, you're one of the few on here with that much experience with that many brands!

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I agree with Robby, that’s a lot of boot experience!

tdot

WKR
I'd take a 2nd look at Lowa and Scarpa. Both boot brands are top tier and would be on any shortlist that I was to recommend.

While lacing and insoles can certainly have an effect on boot fit, they are not the only reason for the issues you are having. But if after 50 miles, you can't get the boot fitting your foot nearly perfect, every time, then it probably is not the right boot for your foot. After 5 years, I'd say it definitely isn't.

Don't blacklist entire boot manufacturers because one boot doesn't fit. Different models can have different lasts, and even boots using the same last can fit differently from one model to the next.

Birddog1

FNG
I wish I could find one that just flat out works. They’ll primarily be used for early archery season here In Ohio. I think my feet have changed as I’ve aged which doesn’t help. I’ve used the Asolo for work as a salesmen for a trucking company, they worked well during our winters with a lightweight pair of merino wool socks. Forgot to add that I also have Cabela’s Meindl Perfekt hunters that I liked as well. Just hoping the Hoffman’s work - I ordered a 12 so we’ll see, they should be here tomorrow. If not, onto the next brand whatever that may be.

Brendan

WKR
I have to say boots has to be the hardest damn piece of gear to figure out. One of the biggest reasons is it's next to impossible to take specific advice from anyone else because our feet are so different, and sometimes you just don't figure them out until you've worn them for a while.

Since 2014 I've tried Scarpa (extensive), Lowa (brief), Crispi Wild Rock (Returned), Crispi Thor (extensive), Lathrop Mountain Hunter (Extensive), LL Bean Cresta Leather (Extensive), a set of Kenetrek day hiker sneakers, and have another pair of Crispi (Highland Pro) arriving today, and that doesn't count what I've tried on in stores or if I'm forgetting anything (And definitely doesn't count my rubber whitetail boots). What's left are the L&S, Thor, Cresta, and we'll see about the Highland Pro, and I'd still like to buy a full leather mountain boot at some point.

Some things that have worked for me: Call Lathrop and Son's. Even if you don't buy something from them now, I swear it'll make you a customer at some point. Some real, real knowledgeable guys about boots. I spent maybe a total of an hour and a half on the phone with them, and my primary boots are now L&S. I learned a ton about their boots, their insoles, and why their insoles work well with their boots (I use the L&S insoles in my L&S boots, but they don't work as well in my others - basically, the support comes from the boot, not the insole)

I also had good luck going to see a podiatrist. Insurance paid for it, and I walked out the door with 3 sets of Spenco insoles that the Doc custom shimmed for me to get alignment correct.

Put up an ad here on Rokslide - "Looking for Size 12 / 46.0 Boots - Well Used" - basically get some cheap to try on from different brands, and that way you can re-sell and not lose a ton.

Have had mixed luck with Superfeet. I think if they work for you, they work, but not for every foot shape.

I think I have three sets of insoles - Superfeet Green, Orange, and 10 Seconds Flat Feet in addition to my Spencos and my L&S that I can alternate between boots as I'm trying them on.

And, nothing is ever "Perfect" for me. That probably doesn't help at all because I'm still searching - but there's my rant... My routine though, buy from a place that'll let you try them indoors on a treadmill walking and return them if they don't fit. I've gone through multiple pairs this way paying for shipping back when they don't fit before settling on a boot.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
@Brendan that has to be extremely frustrating. I guess I don't feel so bad about the issues I've had with this pair of boots. I really appreciate the advice on Lathrop and Sons. I hate calling companies if I'm not actively planning to buy from them, but I might need to just go through them for my next boot purchase.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Brendan that has to be extremely frustrating. I guess I don't feel so bad about the issues I've had with this pair of boots. I really appreciate the advice on Lathrop and Sons. I hate calling companies if I'm not actively planning to buy from them, but I might need to just go through them for my next boot purchase.
Stephen doesn't seem like a high pressure guy to me. And he deals in a lot of brands. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll know what they do and will likely be able to refer someone with foot issues to him at some point. It'll come back to him.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Stephen doesn't seem like a high pressure guy to me. And he deals in a lot of brands. Even if you don't buy anything, you'll know what they do and will likely be able to refer someone with foot issues to him at some point. It'll come back to him.
That's good to know, and I hadn't really thought of it that way. Thanks Robby!

Birddog1

FNG
Trumpkin, I just got my Hoffman Explorers yesterday and while I’ve only had the chance to wear them around the house a few hours, my search for a boot that fits me may very well be over. As soon as I slipped them on the difference was obvious. The fit is perfect and extremely comfortable. So to your question, yes I would try another brand because it’s night and day different for me. The 15% Rokslide discount is a good deal as well. On a side note, I ordered the 8 inch Explorers and they are the same height as my Crispi Idahos which are 10 inch.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Well, I got to Cabelas and Scheels yesterday. Tried on Kenetrek Mtn Extremes and Hardscrabbles, as well as Crispi Nevadas. Also realized I definitely ride the line between 13 and 14 size wise. The Crispi 14 was a hair too big (didn't have a 13 in stock), while the 13 Kenetreks were just about right. Meanwhile, my existing Zamberlans in 13 are too tight, and I think that's what caused my issues in the first place. I couldn't get hands on the new Zamberlan Seguaros in 14's unfortunately... which is a shame, because their construction just feels better than the Ccrispi or Kenetrek.

I need to track down some Scarpa's and Lowa's next.

SDHNTR

WKR
Lowas have the best lacing system imo. There’s a small ball bearing in the lower loops for extra leverage when pulling tight, and then there’s a locking mechanism at the base of the ankle. So you can isolate tight/loose feet vs ankles. Very handy and customizable given different terrain.

Of course you can also do this by changing your lacing styles and tying a lace lock, Lowa just makes this easier.

LostArra

WKR
With the possible exception of a Lathrop custom, I count on tossing the factory insole of any new boot. I don't understand how any well known company selling a $400 hunting boot can equip it with the same pos insole as the $79 Sierra Trading Post bargain boot that I buy to do yard work.

Thankfully the higher end boots usually have good laces and good lacing systems.

muddydogs

WKR
Say what you want about Kenetrek boots but my feet have spent everyday of the last year and a half inside a pair of Hardscrabble hikers that are still stiff and waterproof. I'm hard on boots as I weight 300 pounds and don't treat them nice at all. From the mountains to the concrete the boots just keep going.

One thing I found out with a quick call to
Meindl USA was my arch size is probably bigger than my foot size. I usually wear a 10 in almost everything, tennis shoes, athletic shoes, dress shoes, I have a pair of snake boots that are 10 and fit great. But I can not find a good out of hiking/hunting boots that give a lock of support for western hunting. Went and tried on a bunch of different brands and just nothing fit well, either too tight in the front or too tight in the back or too much ankle slip, etc....until I went to Cabela’s and saw a pair of meindl western hunters in size 11 in the bargain bin. Tried them on and found they fit really well. Long story short, the size was crossed out, the insole had 10 written on them, so I kind of assumed for a while they were 10’s hence the reason for the return and bargain bin. Fast forward to now and I want to buy a pair of Synergy insoles and want to get the size close enough, so I called meindl and asked about the sizing. According to the insole the boots were a size 11. The CS rep told me meindl boots typically fit large on folks so he was shocked I wore a 10 in everything else, thinking I should be in a 9.5-9 rather than the 11. After talking a bit and him hearing about my feet, the guy says i wonder if your arches are too long and that’s why you like a bigger size because it fits up with your arch rather than length of foot. Either way, I know I wear a size 11 meindl boot and those are very comfortable after many miles of hiking.

Long story short, if you can, maybe try some different sizes and see if the heel issue goes away with a bigger size and better lacing to lock the foot in place.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Say what you want about Kenetrek boots but my feet have spent everyday of the last year and a half inside a pair of Hardscrabble hikers that are still stiff and waterproof. I'm hard on boots as I weight 300 pounds and don't treat them nice at all. From the mountains to the concrete the boots just keep going.
My Hardscabbles are going on season 3 and still suppportive and waterproof. I don't do the hard miles everyone else does, but they do get used!

Apollo117

WKR
The info @Texasbuckeye gave is worth reading. I have a similar issue and have to go up in sizes depend on last and volume.

All my footwear got a lot my comfortable when I got my feet properly measured. I found out I have medium-high arches and my arches are farther forward than most. I wear a size 11 or 11.5 tennis shoe, but I buy size 13 inserts and trim them to fit. The size 13 inserts have the arch in the right place for my feet.