Insoles .

isu22andy

WKR
Anyone else getting tired of reading well I bought XYZ brand of boot that was 3-400 bucks and had to put new insoles in to get it right . Am I the only one left scratching my head at this ? If a boots 300 bucks it better damn well come comfortable out the box . Hell my ASICS running shoes feel better than some of these boots for half the price. Anyone make a boot that’s got a good insole out of the box anymore or we all suckered into buying custom insoles cause that’s the cool thing to do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is everyone's feet are different. Some have high arches, some have low arches, etc. I do believe unless you have a foot disorder, that custom orthotics are probably not worth the high cost. The other issue is that lots of people are buying boots online, without the luxury of trying on multiple boots from multiple companies. It becomes annoying and cost prohibitive in most cases to keep having to ship boots back and forth until you find the right pair, so most just deal with what they buy as "good enough". Then complain later and purchase custom orthotics. Comparing running shoes to high end hunting/mountaineering boots is am apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I’ve tried two pairs of super feet and another I forgot the name of, not impressed with any of them.

Super feet green are decent but changed the fit of my boot.

Nope!

Not only is everyone’s feet different but my left foot is different from my right. I can fit my right foot in pretty much any boot/shoe but my left foot is comfortable in about 10% of them!

A lot of people don't know their boots are uncomfortable until they get on here and read how everyone thinks they need new insoles to make their new boots fit right. Some people are perfectly happy with the fit until someone tells them they shouldn't be.

Honestly I think the new expensive boots have crappy insoles. However, this has been a condition I have been chasing for a good 2 years. Changing boot brands and insoles. All was well before that.

I just got into a $1,200 orthotic program. It is life changing. My feet are happy again with just 10 days into wearing them.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've seen simple insoles in Hanwag boots and pretty nice insoles in my Schnee Kestrel's.

I use the stock insoles and see. What I find is they tend to break down faster than better insoles and I end up having to change them about the time I'm happy with the break in of the boots.

That said, I just by Spenco Originals for my boots most of the time.

Jeremy

keller

WKR
Same for me but opposite foot.they say most often the right foot is bigger than the left.about any boot feels good on my
Nope!

Not only is everyone’s feet different but my left foot is different from my right. I can fit my right foot in pretty much any boot/shoe but my left foot is comfortable in about 10% of them!

left foot. Not the right I don't know. Never felt this till 50 yo i guess feet size change later in life as well.

The factory insoles on my Haix Scouts aren't really all that different than my Green Superfeets. Probably the best factory boot insole I've come across yet. You can tell they put some thought into them, unlike most boot manufacturers. I think the high-end boots just figure you're gonna pull out the factory insole and insert a custom anyway, so why bother trying to fit everyone. Most boot insoles are a placeholder at best. Adequate only for those who use boots occasionally.

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with part of your original post. Yes, I think it is BS that you buy a 3-400$ pair of boots and get an insole that’s worth about 3-4 cents. Honestly, the best insoles I’ve found are the dr. Scholl’s gel work insoles. They have a good amount of cushion, decent arch support, and they don’t break down very easily. What I disagree with you on is the comment about the running shoes. Yes my brooks are comfy and super cushiony. But they’re also supper soft soles. I don’t want my hunting boots to feel quite like that. I want some cushion, but in order to get sneaker like cushion, you have to have a sneaker like midsole. That means you sacrifice some rigidity, and that means your feet and legs are going to have to work harder, and you will demolish them with a heavy pack in rough terrain

Poser

WKR
I have some experience selling snowboard gear and snowboard boots can be very pricey. $400 is upper mid level with $500-600 being more of the benchmark for performance boots. This is a steal compared to ski boots which are easily 2-3x as much. I’d often hear the same complaints when I would urge people to spend another $60 on insoles. The ski industry has done a great job of educating skiers on the expectations that footwear is seldom, if ever, perfect out of the box and almost everyone will, at a minimum, need aftermarket insoles if not custom fitting work done to the boots.

Fact: you cannot offer an insole that will work for the masses, so you provide a cheap insole for fitting purposes only because the consumer should understand that insoles are highly individual and a stock insole is unlikely to be suitable. Whether you use that insole, think it should be a better insole etc is irrelevant. You most likely need aftermarket insoles whether your boot costs $75 or $750 and the same goes for your running shoes.

Fact: you cannot offer an insole that will work for the masses, so you provide a cheap insole for fitting purposes only because the consumer should understand that insoles are highly individual and a stock insole is unlikely to be suitable. Whether you use that insole, think it should be a better insole etc is irrelevant. You most likely need aftermarket insoles whether your boot costs $75 or $750 and the same goes for your running shoes.

Kinda how I see it too. If I buy a pair of shoes and the factory insole is sufficient, I consider myself lucky.

dwelk

FNG
The problem is everyone's feet are different. Some have high arches, some have low arches, etc. I do believe unless you have a foot disorder, that custom orthotics are probably not worth the high cost. The other issue is that lots of people are buying boots online, without the luxury of trying on multiple boots from multiple companies. It becomes annoying and cost prohibitive in most cases to keep having to ship boots back and forth until you find the right pair, so most just deal with what they buy as "good enough". Then complain later and purchase custom orthotics. Comparing running shoes to high end hunting/mountaineering boots is am apples to oranges comparison.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Your exactly right in that everyone's feet are different and it would be very difficult for the boot manufacturer to please everyone. With that said I do think it would be worth them offering different insole options depending on your feet type...just like insole manufacturers. Personally, I had custom insoles made about 10 years ago and I am still using them today. It was by far one of the best investments I made due to my high arches. Without the insoles the balls of my feet would get extremely sore within a few days of hunting.

Why is it that we, as hunters think nothing of spending thousands of dollars on every gizmo for hunting and skimp on shoe insoles. People we walk in shoes every day. I got custom insoles years ago and wished I had gotten them sooner. They make a world of difference.Yes they are expensive,but they get used every day, which unless it's socks or a belt, can't be said for almost any other bit of hunting gear! I would rather skimp elsewhere as far as gear goes than to hunt without my insoles. YOMV!

Nope!

I have a similar issue. What have you found works the best for you? Did you go custom?