Insta pot venison roast

NUGGET

WKR
The only way I cook roasts in an instant pot is if hey they are frozen. Comes out amazing everytime.

I wouldn't put a normal roast in an instant pot. I like to keep those types of cuts cooked around medium rare. Instant pots are high temp and high pressure so your going to be left with something gray and tough.

This has been my experience with roasts in the instapot as well.

Crockpot for 6-8 hours on the other hand is fantastic!

I pressure cook any cut of venison (but great for burger and leg roasts) for 25 minutes with a few tablespoons of olive oil, sometimes a couple slices of bacon, and with or with bone broth or just some water (both work well). While it's cooking, I saute onions and garlic in olive oil with a few seasonings. Adding any type of seasoning (bay leaf, basil, chili powder, dill, oregano, mustard powder, onion powder, and cumin) to the hot oil pulls out the flavor. I add the spices at the end after pulling the frying pan off the fire, being careful not to brown any leaves.

I then add the cooked onions, garlic, and seasonings, as well as some kind of veggies. My favorites are either a mixed veggie bag (carrot, corn, green beans, peas), or just a few carrots and a large potato and add liquid broth to the fill line in the pot. I normally will microwave the potato for a couple minutes, chop it, and then brown it crisp in olive oil. I then pressure cook for another 10 minutes or so. Don't add the veggies in the beginning, or you will get mush!

I have the small version of the pot and make this for lunch at work, so one large chopped potato is about all that will fit. Still makes about four servings since I use a lot of meat. I also add a quarter cup of apple juice or red wine, both of which add some acid and sweetness. Salt to taste and it's good food.

Last edited:

jcostanza

FNG
These recipes look so good. Thanks for posting. I need to get an instapot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frozen cuts or those two pound sleeves of venison burger is what I use. And they never turn tough and gray.
Huh, I wonder where I went wrong with the instapot then?? Nor my wife or I have ever attempted it again, after having it turn out so terrible. I believe that has been the only intolerable dish of wild game meat I have ever had.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
Instant pot has been a complete game changer for Roasts. I have always grown up slow cooking elk roasts in a crockpot, seems they always dry out now matter how much love/attention you put into. Have had better results cooking them in a dutch oven on the Traeger but they still dry out.
Couple years ago we did them in the instant pot, and will not go back. They turn out so tender.
Add a cup of stock of choice, seasoning, oil, au jus or onion soup mix. We cook ours for about 2 hours if frozen. Do concur, they seem come out the best if started frozen.

fmyth

WKR
I tossed a thawed out elk roast in the insta pot with 2 cups of water and a packet of brown gravy mix. Set the IP for 45 min and let it naturally release after it was done cooking. If you do the quick release method it dries out the meat. Then I put in some cut up carrots, onions, potatoes and mushrooms and set the IP for 10 min and let it naturally release when done. Even my wife who does not like wild game loved it. It was fall apart tender. I should also mention that this was the first elk that I'd ever butchered myself so god only knows what/where part of the animal this "roast" came from. Maybe next year I'll do a little more research before butchering. This year I turned an entire elk into 4 cuts: burger, roast, stew meat, steaks.

One thing I like to do is brown the roast(works with stew meat too) in some olive oil on the sautee setting with just some season salt and pepper and some chopped garlic. After all sides are brown I deglaze with either wine or whiskey. Then I put in a can of the medium rotel tomatoes and green chillies and a couple shakes of Worcestershire sauce and cook it. I usually eat it over wild rice but is good in tortilla as well.

NUGGET

WKR
Huh, I wonder where I went wrong with the instapot then?? Nor my wife or I have ever attempted it again, after having it turn out so terrible. I believe that has been the only intolerable dish of wild game meat I have ever had.
You definitely did something wrong. I can take a frozen roast and if you want the middle a little pink put it on for 45 mins. It comes out amazing everytime. I’ll take a smaller frozen roast and cook it and then slice into steaks and get nice medium rare steaks.

Like everything it takes practice. The first time you have sex it isn’t amazing. Don’t give up. Practice makes perfect.

bpietila

FNG
I wouldn't put a normal roast in an instant pot. I like to keep those types of cuts cooked around medium rare. Instant pots are high temp and high pressure so your going to be left with something gray and tough.

What I have had good luck with are things like shanks and neck roasts that have a lot of connective tissue and other things that need time and temp to break down.

I like to use pulled meat style dishes for these like barbacoa or pulled pork. Make sure to start with the plenty of liquid and up the time a bit compared to a recipe for non game meat, those tendons can take a lot to break down.

Instant pot is also good for stews and currys.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
This post is spot on. After I am done butchering meat from the backbone, I separate each backbone section and add these to pressure cooked soup. There is generally a surprising amount of meat still on the bone.

atod9

FNG
We did some backstrap with some beef broth, gravy mix packet, and salt /pepper. It came out really good. I don't have an exact recipe, just keep enough liquid for the meat to absorb

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
Mississippi pot roast recipe is incredible! When you get tired of roast, make it with chicken.