Insta pot venison roast

I wouldn't put a normal roast in an instant pot. I like to keep those types of cuts cooked around medium rare. Instant pots are high temp and high pressure so your going to be left with something gray and tough.

What I have had good luck with are things like shanks and neck roasts that have a lot of connective tissue and other things that need time and temp to break down.

I like to use pulled meat style dishes for these like barbacoa or pulled pork. Make sure to start with the plenty of liquid and up the time a bit compared to a recipe for non game meat, those tendons can take a lot to break down.

Instant pot is also good for stews and currys.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jspradley

WKR
Instant pot is great for fall apart tender pot roasts.

I like to take a 3-ish pound chunk of game meat, either white or sweet potatoes, several onions, carrots, put about an inch of beef broth then about 1/2 tsp of Better than Bullion, a little salt, whole peppercorns and juniper berries, a few garlic cloves. Then run it for about an hour on high pressure. Good stuff!

wapitibob

WKR
I've done several. Depending on how you cut your game, I separate every muscle, there may be no connective tissue. These were muscles from the hind qtr. In that instance I have found I needed added moisture to help break down the roast. The 1" depth js noted in his post is about where I'm at, maybe a bit more.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I threw a roast in earlier this week to try. Seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic. Seared it in the pot with some olive oil. Dumped a couple cans of beef consommé, red potatoes, carrots and celery. It came out tender and pretty good.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I threw a roast in earlier this week to try. Seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic. Seared it in the pot with some olive oil. Dumped a couple cans of beef consommé, red potatoes, carrots and celery. It came out tender and pretty good.
+1
AA.jpg

Look up Mississippi Pot Roast. I've even done this recipe with a frozen roast and it turns out awesome in the Instapot. All I do is put the roast in the bottom, put a packet of McCormick Au Jus gravy mix, a packet of Ranch Dressing mix, and a stick of unsalted butter on top of the roast. Throw 5 or 6 whole peppericinis and 3 tablespoons of the juice from the jar on it and put the lid on the cooker. Depending on the size of the roast, it takes about 3-4 hours. Release pressure, pull out the meat and hit the saute button. Stir in some cornstarch to make a gravy and after it thickens up, add the meat back to the pot and shred. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

Look up Mississippi Pot Roast. I've even done this recipe with a frozen roast and it turns out awesome in the Instapot. All I do is put the roast in the bottom, put a packet of McCormick Au Jus gravy mix, a packet of Ranch Dressing mix, and a stick of unsalted butter on top of the roast. Throw 5 or 6 whole peppericinis and 3 tablespoons of the juice from the jar on it and put the lid on the cooker. Depending on the size of the roast, it takes about 3-4 hours. Release pressure, pull out the meat and hit the saute button. Stir in some cornstarch to make a gravy and after it thickens up, add the meat back to the pot and shred. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

Is that 3 - 4 hours on high pressure, or is that total time that it takes to get up to pressure because its still frozen when you start? This sounds like something I would like to try.

Texag16

FNG
I have been wanting to do this as well with a elk roast! Ill have to give this a try!

I've done this one - it's awesome! Makes great tacos as leftovers too

I tried the Mississippi pot roast recipe with a whole bone in neck roast off of a whitetail buck. I doubled the recipe because the roast was big. It turned out great. Im going to add it to the regular meal list.

Dewy

FNG
Making this for the second time with deer shoulder and shank. Absolutely outstanding and a nice change!
6af73e544ad4f679d3c7d9fc86c9160f.jpg
7a2b58973c7552d7d491955b1da0c4f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it tonight with 6 whitetail shanks in an instapot and it was awesome!! Shanks went in semi frozen so I set the time for 90 minutes and the meat was falling off the bone. Will reduce the time to 75 minutes next time. I did double the recipe to ensure enough liquid/broth.