Installing a rail for a bipod on a hunting rifle stock.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How hard are these to install and is there a way to have the rail and your swivel stud?

I would like to mount a short ~2” rail onto several rifles so I can use an atlas bipod with the quick detach thing so I can switch from rifle to rifle. The javelin bipods just don’t do it for me, I tried them once and tried them again and they just aren’t my jam.

I was hoping there was a way to install such a rail and keep my swivel stud since the rifles get carried more than shot on a normal hunting trip.

Any advice is appreciated!

BBob

WKR
Lots of picatinny rails for this and many have integrated sling swivel mounts. @LivetohuntID aka Salmon River Solutions makes ARCA/Pic combos with swivel mount.

SDHNTR

WKR
Lots of pic rails have a swivel stud at the back. Even the cheapo Caldwell adapters. But the right way is to drop a t nut or two inside the barrel channel to secure the screws. Several YT vids on how to do this. While you’re at it, you could even drill and tap a separate hole for a swivel stud.

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
If you'd rather not drill an extra hole in the existing stock - you could always use the Blackhawk Picatinny adapter. It mounts on a single existing swivel and has it's own external swivel so you can retain the sling functionality. I run them on a couple of my rifles and they work surprisingly well. The only thing I add is a piece of leather under the dinky rubber gasket they send.

Link:

Antares

WKR
I have an Atlas BT15 rail and a BT17 rail installed on different rifles. Super easy if your stock happens to have two swivel studs on the forend, otherwise you're installing a t-nut as mention above. The Atlas rails have flush cups in them so you can just put a flush cup on the muzzle end of your sling and keep using the swivel stud in back. That's what I did.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you’ve ever seen a drill in real life or on the internet, installing a couple t-nuts should be easy. Drill press or hand drill, drill bit and spade bit are all you really need. If you’re installing on a cheap Tupperware stock, you’ll probably want some epoxy too.

I’d go a little longer than 2” to give the t-nuts better spacing. Atlas, badger, Seekins and a bunch of other brands make rails. Several of the rails have integrated ‘flush cup’ type QD mounts. This would negate the need to keep a sling swivel.

But if you’re going to install a pic rail, why not get a couple flush cups and install on the side of the stock where a sling should go?
Sorry to threadjack, but can you please explain to me why you like flush cups on the side of a stock? Unbeknownst to me at the time, I bought a gun that came with them on the left side, and I really don’t like them. I think they are an eyesore. I think they make an otherwise nice looking rifle, look like they have big holes drilled in it. I guess I really just don’t understand the purpose as when 99% of the time I’m wearing a backpack. I think most western hunters do too, right? So how do you carry a slinged gun with flush cups on the side and hunt with a backpack? What am I missing? They are obviously popular, but I just don’t understand the functionality.