Instant Pot + Shanks - school me.

I have an instant pot I got for christmas sitting in the box. Quarintime has kept the smoker and slow cooker going strong but I want to give this thing a try. I was thinking about a sort of Oso Bucco type preparation. From what I gather it should break them down nicely. So how long to cook them and on what setting? I have zero experience with this thing so please use small words.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve tried numerous times to do shanks in the insta pot. They have never come out right. I much prefer the slow cooker for shanks. Here are some antelope shanks I made last week. They were unbelievable.

Attachments

• B60E3083-F773-4314-8FE0-2697BE03D02D.jpeg
    B60E3083-F773-4314-8FE0-2697BE03D02D.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 69
Really love the Instant Pot for beans and other simple recipes so far. For shanks and other tough cuts I still prefer the slow cooker, or better yet the Dutch oven. Braising shanks in the Dutch Oven has produced the best and fastest results for me. I have braised shanks and bone-in roasts in the Dutch Oven for 3 or 4 hours and had the same results in what takes the Slow Cooker 8 or more hours. When it comes to the Instant Pot I am still a Rookie though so maybe there is a technique.

Brendan

WKR
Speaking of Shanks though: French Dip. Thank me later ;)

Braise shanks in dutch oven until fall off the bone tender. Layer on French bread, add cheese, broil to melt, save the stock for dipping. Might be my favorite so far...

(Did these with Elk, have done venison too)
4af211f013e447c5c81bb7c220236b4e.jpg

HGrodner

FNG
Speaking of Shanks though: French Dip. Thank me later ;)

Braise shanks in dutch oven until fall off the bone tender. Layer on French bread, add cheese, broil to melt, save the stock for dipping. Might be my favorite so far...

(Did these with Elk, have done venison too)
4af211f013e447c5c81bb7c220236b4e.jpg

looks delicious! Gonna have to try that.

I have an instant pot I got for christmas sitting in the box. Quarintime has kept the smoker and slow cooker going strong but I want to give this thing a try. I was thinking about a sort of Oso Bucco type preparation. From what I gather it should break them down nicely. So how long to cook them and on what setting? I have zero experience with this thing so please use small words.
Depends on if they are frozen or not. I don’t make them Oso Bucco style-yet. But I do make pot roast type meals with shanks in the instant pot and the meat falls off the bone! Mine are usually frozen. I put them in the instant pot with a cup or so of broth and a cup of balsamic vinegar (or red wine if you have it) and rosemary and garlic. I set it on meat for 120 minutes. I add veggies after the 120 minutes. I love the instant pot for shredded meat etc. I don’t even use my crock pot anymore.

shedav14

FNG
Main trick with Oslo Bucco that I have found it so have the correct sides with them! We have not used pressure cooker but we have done Sous VIde for 36hrs and they are fall off the bone over homemade polenta.

Felix40

WKR
Heres my instant pot method for shanks. Its good

1. Coat with cinnamon, salt, and pepper
2. Brown in hot olive oil on all sides
3. Cook down 1/2 diced onion, a few diced carrots, and chopped celery in the hot oil with some red wine
4. Add the shanks and veggies with sauce to the instant pot and season with garlic powder, parsley, and basil
5. Add one can tomato soup
6. Add enough water to cover the bottom 1/4 of the shanks
7. Cook on highest pressure for 1:45 to 2 hrs
8. Serve on top of mashed potatoes

Check out Italian Style Pulled Beef recipes - the good ones will have pepperoncini's. They're bommmmmb

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of those slow cooker-instapot combo things. What I tend to do is slow cook the shanks with fixins (new potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onion, 2 cups stock) for 4-6 hours (can be all day when at work if needed. If it’s not super tender by then, I put it on the instapot (meat) setting and let it go. I think it takes another 20 mins. Comes out PERFECT. (For better flavor I sear shanks with rosemary, garlic, butter for about 2mins per side first.)

Attachments

• C54C02F1-78D6-4BE0-8A33-FADA6D99F87E.jpeg
    C54C02F1-78D6-4BE0-8A33-FADA6D99F87E.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 10