Instant Pot Venison

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I got an Instant Pot a few months ago when they a were on sale on Amazon. This is changing the way I am preparing and cooking venison.

Normally, I trim out the shanks for the grind pile, and that takes some time. This time around, I simply left the shanks whole. Browned them a little in the Instant Pot, then added diced onion, a few cloves of garlic, bay leaves, and a seasoning packet for slow cooked pot roast. Pressured cooked it for an hour and all the meat fell of the bone and all the collagen was like soft delicious jelly. It is the fridge over night. All I have to do tomorrow is add carrots, celery, potatoes and pressure cook for 10 minutes and it will be ready to eat.

Deer Shank Stew.jpg

I kept the neck roast whole and will try that next week and test it out on unsuspecting co-workers.

This will also make cooking turkey legs and thighs much easier. Most turkey hunter I know throw away wild turkey legs. Pressure cook them down, then shred, then fry in fat or lard and make tacos.

Bought an Instant Pot this summer and love it for cooking wild game! I haven't tried bone-in shank yet, but have cooked shank 'cubes' a couple times. Like you mentioned, that collagen turns out pretty nice! I've also cooked turkey legs and thighs in it twice. In the past I used a crock pot for the shank cubes and turkey, but much prefer the Instant Pot pressure cooking. I like the ability to brown it in the same pot you cook it in. The 'broth' leftover after a cooking is also easily reduced to a gravy in the same pot using the sautee feature.

LostArra

WKR
Try Steve Rinella's deer rib recipe in the Instant Pot. It's good. You do have to split the rack for them to fit.

It's bad ass for venison
Took a batch of 2 and 3 year old roasts that were buried in the freezer and cooked them from frozen. Came out AWESOME. Did a couple different recipes with one being a BBQ type that the kids loved and one where I used banana peppers and shredded it for tacos and was impressed.

Try cooking your wild game roasts from fully frozen in the Insta - you'll be glad you did.

Also - Instant Pot venison meatloaf and mash potatoes are better than any restaurant I've ever had. Lots of recipes out there but do one where you put a little finisher on it in the broiler to make a little crust on top.

Last edited: