instead of a Highline why not a low line?

aggieland

WKR
Is there any reason not to have one long line tied on the ground between trees just like a Highline? Then tieead ropes off this... sorry for short post I'm using the smartphone.

Imo high lines are to keep the line away from the stock, if it's on the ground level they can catch feet on it, push on it then it becomes loose. A Pickett line as seen on a lot of the westerns is another way to tie as long as stock stands and doesn't pull and all that. I run high lines to keep the lead ropes away from the stocks feet. But have heard of people hanging horses on a high line cause they didn't know what they were doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Imo high lines are to keep the line away from the stock, if it's on the ground level they can catch feet on it, push on it then it becomes loose. A Pickett line as seen on a lot of the westerns is another way to tie as long as stock stands and doesn't pull and all that. I run high lines to keep the lead ropes away from the stocks feet. But have heard of people hanging horses on a high line cause they didn't know what they were doing.

Matter of fact as my Dad and I were heading out of the mountains a group had left their horses tied to trees and one had gotten down. I think it broke his neck. We used a line on the ground and it worked but wanted to ask why others don't. And yes they can and do get legs tangled from time to time.

Matter of fact as my Dad and I were heading out of the mountains a group had left their horses tied to trees and one had gotten down. I think it broke his neck. We used a line on the ground and it worked but wanted to ask why others don't. And yes they can and do get legs tangled from time to time.

That's very sad, I have tied stock to trees usually when I'm hunting, have had them overnight to but I've become a light sleeper and listen for those dangerous noises. We had some clients rent horses a few years ago from someone else and hey are the ones that killed a horse. $5000 out of their pocket for the loss of the horse, and that's why I don't personally rent horses to people. It's a sad deal, it's not a pack to camp tie em and leave em deal they are a lot of work

wyosteve

WKR
Mine are all trained/broke to picket with one front foot. Virtually no problems that way.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're around camp where you can keep an eye on them, this has served me well for 20 years. Might need to watch it on Vimeo to see the whole screen. I can't see the horse's back leg on this browser anyway

[video=vimeo;76114024]https://vimeo.com/76114024[/video]

I put the "high line" at slightly higher than brisket height. This helps keep the horses on their own side. Put it just high enough to deter them from stepping over it, but low enough to keep them from going under it.

Attachments

• DSC00656.jpg
    DSC00656.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 127

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I put the "high line" at slightly higher than brisket height. This helps keep the horses on their own side. Put it just high enough to deter them from stepping over it, but low enough to keep them from going under it.

that's helpful to see, thanks

Beendare

WKR
We went from having a high line in our Wyoming wilderness trip....to having a low line when a storm came through and a few beetle kill trees came down near our camp. The lowline didn't work out so good....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
We've tried it just about every way. Seems safest with a high line as high as you can get it with blocker ties for the lead rope.

We've had wrecks just about every way though, including highlined. Had hobbled horses go quite a ways too....

Horses are such a pain, until the pack out.

I always preffered a high line. seems lIke a bunch of stock tied to a rope one the ground is a wreck waiting to happen. one horse blows up and pulls the rope into the others and rope cuts everywhere. I will say all ways have swivels on your high line, a friends horse in the group once turned circles all night till he twisted his rope halter so tight he started to suffocate, I heard him thrashing all round and by the time I got out of my hammock and ran 60 yards In the dark to him he was unconscious, I cut the halter and jumped on his chest and he and he started breathing again.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I always preffered a high line. seems lIke a bunch of stock tied to a rope one the ground is a wreck waiting to happen. one horse blows up and pulls the rope into the others and rope cuts everywhere. I will say all ways have swivels on your high line, a friends horse in the group once turned circles all night till he twisted his rope halter so tight he started to suffocate, I heard him thrashing all round and by the time I got out of my hammock and ran 60 yards In the dark to him he was unconscious, I cut the halter and jumped on his chest and he and he started breathing again.

I would have paid good money to see that..

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I've always done what Jason does. Mid line just towards the top of the brisket. Had good luck so far.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the little 8 dollar swivels when i highline, ive got some small manilla eye spliced to to each one for a breakaway, havent had any trouble this way. I found some reflective tape at work and put a little piece on each breakaway, so in the event I have a tangle and they dont break its easy for me to find with a headlamp and cut it instead of my lead rope. The less knife swinging around a tangled up horse the better.

rayporter

WKR
i was drivng down main st in pagosa once and on the south side of the road where the san juan river crosses the motel used to let guys tie horses. any how one was upside down all tangled and no one around. i cut it loose and did not see any serious marks on it. the high line was stretched and the lead rope was long enough to cause that outcome.

another tie i took a guy hunting and as we reached out camp and tied up to unload he tied his rider up low and long to a tree.

i asked if the horse was used to a picket rope and he said something that let me know it was not but it would be fine eating grass and not getting into trouble. seconds later the horse made a circle and had all four legs in a wad and was still trying to turn around. the back arched the nostrils flared and ears went back- but the look in it eyes said it all. this animal was about to break a rope or all four legs in the attempt. as it tried to rear up an go over backwards i cut the rope and it took a deep breath and started eating again. the guy had a fit cause i cut the rope.