Instinctive Shooting?

Just curious to see if anyone still shoots instinctive besides myself. I feel like it’s a dying way to do things in the trad world. I’m a bit of a disciple of the Fred Asbell way to do things, especially since I like to shotgun the same way.

How do ya’ll out there aim with your tradbow?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I shoot instinctive, but nowhere near like what Asbell preaches. I've seen him shoot in person, no thanks lol. His swing draw technique... no comment. I don't do point on or anything like that, if I wanted a sight on my recurve I would put one on like Fred Bear ran back in the day. Shooting instinctive just takes a lot of practice and focus, but it works the best for ME.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PHo

WKR
Instinctive shooter here as well. Although every time I tell someone that I shoot instinctively they quickly tell me that there’s no such thing as instinctive shooting, so I guess I’ll just say that “aim subconsciously” 😁

Instinctive shooter here as well. Although every time I tell someone that I shoot instinctively they quickly tell me that there’s no such thing as instinctive shooting, so I guess I’ll just say that “aim subconsciously” 😁

I think I'm in the same boat. Part of the fun of trad for me is the 'instinctive' part of it... seems like everything in hunting (life) has to be turned into a "system" to "run". To each their own - I just like to fling wood arrows around with a longbow I guess. Sometimes, I even hit where I'm aiming 😉

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
I shoot instinctive, but nowhere near like what Asbell preaches. I've seen him shoot in person, no thanks lol. His swing draw technique... no comment. I don't do point on or anything like that, if I wanted a sight on my recurve I would put one on like Fred Bear ran back in the day. Shooting instinctive just takes a lot of practice and focus, but it works the best for ME.

Ha! Yeah. The swing draw is definitely not my thing. I shoot three under, which Asbell does not like at all either. I do tend to only shoot one arrow from any given spot only one time when I practice though. I don’t think anyone’s shooting is an exact mirror image of someone else’s, that’s what makes trad fun though right?

Glad to see there’s still other “believers” ha!

Last edited:
I do, its how I was taught when I was a kid.

I've been trying to learn to gap shoot as I've slowly been going back to traditional archery but I just can't seem to pick it up. I shoot alright instinctive, but I know I could probably be more accurate past 20 yards.

I shoot 3 under instinctive as well. I have tried aiming, gap, fixed crawl, but always come back to instinctive. It’s just the most natural for me

I shoot three under and pretty quick went to a split vision type shot. Not completely focused on the point, but somewhat more aware of not than you guys. Under 20 i shoot very well full instinctive though and do that solely now for short to medium length shots....just focus on anchoring the shoulder blade with back tension and let her fly. I practice from 35-50 with more focus on the tip to practice release, form, etc.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ha! Yeah. The swing draw is definitely not my thing. I shoot three under, which Asbell does not like at all either. I do tend to only shoot one arrow from any given spot only one time when I practice though. I don’t think anyone’s shooting is an exact mirror image of someone else’s, that’s what makes trad fun though right?

Glad to see there’s still other “believers” ha!
Yep, I shoot 3 under as well, one arrow at a time because I don't shoot groups at animals lol.

Instinctive here as well. Seems like my shooting gets worse if I start consciously seeing the arrow during the shot. I got started with Asbell’s first book as I was solo and doing it all myself. It was pretty decent for getting me started and I am sure I have evolved a little as time passes. Also must admit I’m not the best shot in the world and don’t do much target/tournament type shooting. Some fun 3D and form work at a target but mostly stumping and roving as hunting practice.

I shoot instinctive as well but I use a rotational draw and hold for a bit before release. I am way more accurate when I am in my back tension. I also shoot a ILF bow now with a springy rest.

Three under, instinctive.

I'm pretty new at this. Just started about a year ago. Tried gap initially, then sort of transitioned into a more instinctive method after I wore out a couple bag targets. I'm focusing on the target, but sort of subconsciously getting a sight picture including the arrow in my peripheral.

Seems to be my best method out to 30 yards or so. I play around out to 40 sometimes, but I notice when I start getting out to 35+ or so, I tend to take more notice of where my arrow point is.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot what feels like instinctive but in reality is probably something more like split vision.
I LOVE the simplicity of traditional archery! Sure is fun..... especially when I hit the target!😬🤪

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have to shoot instinctive like i said from my other post because im left eye dominate. I grew up shooting longbows from when i could walk up until i was 14 or 15 then switched to my recurve.. didn't realize i was even left eye dominant until somewhere in there and my uncle asked me while i was holding a rifle funny looking over the scope while shooting squirrels with him.

I drift between a hard gap and gapstinctive... where I’m not thinking about setting my gap, but I know when it’s right. When I’m facing a pressured shot I usually think more about setting my gap then finishing my shot execution.

You know how a pitcher looks at a catcher's mitt and then throws the ball to the mitt? That's how I handle my bow shot....EXCEPT when I'm practicing to improve only my form and strength. I see the desired point of impact and I lock on it as I draw the bow. My eyes see what they see, but my brain is focused on the impact point. If I start thinking about gap...arrow....string....bow hand....or other aspects of making the shot, I'll probably blow it when it matters most.

I don't call any of it (my shooting) instinctive, though that's the term most commonly applied. In fact, I really don't think it needs a name or term to identify it. I taught myself how to be accurate this way, but I can't teach myself an instinct. Repetitive doing is how almost any talent is developed.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The first shot you ever made was instinctive, every one after that has been learned.

Your mind and body do much more than you think they are. Bring your hands up and set them like you are taking a shot. Now, wiggle the pinky finger of your hand that is on your face at anchor while looking at the “target”. You will notice that you see your pinky finger moving. So...how does your brain NOT see the 30” long straight line reference (arrow) right in front of your eyes? It is IMPOSSIBLE not to use the arrow as reference and aiming. You aren’t smart enough to turn your brain off and hit the target.

Instinctive shooting is just gap shooting that has been refined and sped up thru lots and lots of practice and our brains, the greatest supercomputer ever made.

I drift between a hard gap and gapstinctive... where I’m not thinking about setting my gap, but I know when it’s right. When I’m facing a pressured shot I usually think more about setting my gap then finishing my shot execution.
[/
“Gapstinctive,” love it. I am definitely in that club.