Instinctive Shooting?

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 3 under and guess I would call it gap or split vision. I anchor and hold longer than most people. I think it comes from 30+ years of shooting a compound. I’ve been working on trying to speed it up a little but still be in control of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.Hutch

FNG
I learned " instinctive". But! the only difference between instinctive and gap is whether we're using the subconscious or conscious part of our brain. As stated, our brain is constantly at work in some way or another. When we shoot instinctive, WE are not consciously thinking about yardage and gaps, but our brain is calculating trajectories learned from shooting like this. Gap shooting shooting all we're doing is making the shot a conscious thought, which works great when shooting at a stationary target, not quite so well with game, but still usable.
A good technique I've learned useing a gap method to better train the brain for those instinctual shots is start at 5 yrds, shoot. buulseye, move back 5 yrds, repeat. Miss at 5, adjust gap until 10 ring, move back 5 yards. By moving back only when the target is struck exactly where you want/need. allows the brain to fully understand the trajectory needed for that set up. Set up changes? go back start the process over, until you've gone back to however far back you feel comfortable shooting at game. But I highly suggest to push that learned distance back further than that. Then, when a shot presents itself. Little or no conscious thought is really needed, The brain has it all under control. do this same sequence shooting uphill, downhill, side-hill, any possible shot circumstances, and I promise, your instinctive shots will improve greatly.

Hutch

A.Hutch

FNG
Also! when employing this "calibration" technique, throw in obstructions at varying distances. By doing so, you'll be fine tuning that calibration process. the better better the calibration, the more accurate you'll be when that split second shot opportunity shows up.

Hutch

Tartan

WKR
Another split vision shooter here, under 20 Is more instinctive. Focusing on the spot and lining up tension with where I want to hit. 25+ i definitely see the arrow and set the sight picture I want but I’m focusing on the target, not consciously setting a gap.

Even at my point on, I put the tip there, but transfer my focus to the target and let my subconscious see the alignment and just let it float.

A.Hutch

FNG
To add to or actually correct what I said earlier......When doing this walk back method, I AM NOT the one focusing on the gap, I am focusing on my intended point of impact, I am allowing my brain(subconscious part) to learn/calibrate the gaps. when I hit the intended POI Then I move back. this tells the brain "good job" and to basically hard load that trajectory info. Thats why anytime a change is made or is in process of being made, go back, restart the process. Those changes, any change in form or equipment is going to affect the trajectory.

Keep'em sharp!!

Hutch

ko3n3k3

FNG
1 over 2 under instinctive out to 30 yds. Then I start gap shooting and aiming. Point on is at 45 yards.

JSWI

FNG
I think someone else mentioned it, but I have always treated shooting trad gear like throwing a baseball. Pick a spot you want to hit and hit it...as long as I can keep my form consistent it works pretty well for me until i get out past 25 yards where arrow trajectory makes it harder.

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
^ I do pretty much the same thing, but like I said, I’m not going to shoot past 25-30 yards at an animal.

Great stuff in here! There are so many different ways to aim, and it’s fun to hear about how everyone does it.

Yep, I do out to 50. At 50 I'm working on using my point on. But that's just for fun in the driveway or I draw a coveted school bus or broadside of a barn tag LOL

Reactions: GMC

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot instinctive. I'm 60 and have been shooting since I was a kid. About 3 years ago I decided to work on gap shooting. After much effort, I just couldn't make it work for me so I'm back to my original style. I will say that my shooting improved after my attempt to gap shoot. I think it just forced my shot sequence to slow down which has helped.

Fjtoyman

FNG
I shoot 3under all the time.
Instinctive for hunting, 3D, and stumping.
For indoor I tune my bow and arrows for point on at 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instinctive is more enjoyable for me and I've tried the alternatives. At 15 yards I'm rock solid...

15yrd.jpg

...after 25 yards I'm retarded.

25yrd.jpg

Wrench

WKR
I'm 45, been shooting these things for 20 years now and I honestly have no flipping clue how I aim. I have tried to gap and I do know I have a point on distance, but in and out of that, the damn thing just goes where I want it to...barring the times it goes where IT wants to go. I can anchor for 5 seconds or touch and go, but what I can't do is tell you how I do it.....I can't even tell myself that.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant so I'm likely the biggest mess in the game.....but it seems to work.

Kentucky

WKR
I’m also cross eye dominant.. I have to slightly squint my left eye when shooting. It’s very hard and I’m less accurate trying to set a hard gap at 0-25 yards, I know I’m gap shooting because that’s how I started shooting years ago... but now gap is subconscious, Still using arrow to line up shot though.. 30-40 hard gap