Insulated Boots - how much insulation would you want in your late season boots?

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Rokslide group. I have a question that I would love to get a little feedback from you all. We at Hoffman Boots are in the process of redesigning our insulated Explorer boots for next fall. We just recently had three identical boots with different insulation tested in a facility in Europe to try to maximize the amount of warmth in our boots that are used in colder conditions. We tested thinsulate ultra, Windtherm XT and Primaloft in these boots. The test are very educational and from what we have received back, the Thinsulate seems to be the best for the duration of the test. My question to you is this. What level of insulation would you like to see? This is what we have been thinking about as far our new line-up of boots go:
6", 8" and 10" Explorer all non-insulated
8" Explorer w/ 400 grams of thinsulate
10" Explorer w/ new Vibram cold weather sole with 800 gram thinsulate.

How does this line-up look. Appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thank you all in advance.

Hoffman's

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Your line up looks good! Personally, I almost never wear insulated boots. If I have a long hike in, insulated boots make my feet sweat too much which leads to blisters. I would rather have cold feet than sweaty feet any day.

Best of luck with you new line up!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I'm in the no insulation or 800 grams. All the 400 gram boots I've tried haven't been enough insulation to choose for late season but will leave you with sweaty feet if used early. I also don't think I would do a 10" boot but I see how it works with your intended line up.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I either like uninsulated or something over 400. I had a pair of rockys around 2006 that were 600 gram and that seemed about right. Nothing wrong with 800 but I would like to know your reasoning for only offering 10” with 800?

I run a kenatreak 400 went a half size bigger so I can run a liner sock and thick wool sock my feet never get cold. I use to were Hoffman’s pacs with the same sock set up and that worked great they are just heavy

I've never owned a pair of boots with more than 400 grams of Thinsulate. If I'm going to be stationary for long enough to get cold feet, I bring some sort of boot blanket.

Brendan

WKR
Depends what you're targeting them for. I have rubber whitetail boots made for sitting in a tree stand that are 1200?

There are other 400 hiking options out there, even leather 600 hikers. Probably a market for an 800 with good ankle support that you can cover some miles in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm in the uninsulated and bring a set of boot blankets with me for when I stop. My feet get hot and sweaty. If I was looking for a dedicated cold weather boot I'd much rather have an insulated hiker height boot. I don't care much for 10" boots. A shorter boot with a gaiter setup is lighter and more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
I'd put one in there at 1,000 or more. Some people just have really cold feat or are hunting in really cold conditions. You can't find many that are at that level. I'm currently looking at getting the Kenetrek 1000 gram since I can't seem to find any other boots that have that level of insulation.

Benjblt

WKR
Hi Rokslide group. I have a question that I would love to get a little feedback from you all. We at Hoffman Boots are in the process of redesigning our insulated Explorer boots for next fall. We just recently had three identical boots with different insulation tested in a facility in Europe to try to maximize the amount of warmth in our boots that are used in colder conditions. We tested thinsulate ultra, Windtherm XT and Primaloft in these boots. The test are very educational and from what we have received back, the Thinsulate seems to be the best for the duration of the test. My question to you is this. What level of insulation would you like to see? This is what we have been thinking about as far our new line-up of boots go:

Hoffman's
In what ways did Thinsulate perform better? Does it breathe as well as the other too?

akrdkill

WKR

Hoffman's

What did you guys end up going with & hows it compare ??