Insulated boots vs uninsulated boots

Bear2022

FNG
I am looking at boots for a spring bear hunt in montana thinking about the shnees bear tooth but can’t decide between no insulation and 200 grams.

28outlaw

FNG
If you plan on being active I would recommend no insulation. If you sweat out you boot the insulation isn't going to keep your feet warm.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't even own a pair of insulated hunting boots and I live in one of the coldest parts of the country. My feet run hot though and just sweat out insulated boots then get cold. I just carry boot blankets for if I stop for a while. Much more flexible setup for me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IdahoHntr

WKR
I don't even own a pair of insulated hunting boots and I live in one of the coldest parts of the country. My feet run hot though and just sweat out insulated boots then get cold. I just carry boot blankets for if I stop for a while. Much more flexible setup for me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agree with this other than I don’t carry boot blankets even. My socks change as it gets colder but that’s about it. I do own one pair of insulated boots for steelhead fishing. The only time I need insulation is when I’m not moving.

tylerwhat

FNG
Everyone's different, but I'd throw another vote for no insulation. My feet get really sweaty if I'm active at all in my insulated boots. I only wear them when it's really cold in the middle of winter. I would think April would be plenty warm for non-insulated unless you're looking at abnormally cold temperatures.

born2kill

FNG
Like mentioned above, I prefer uninsulated with the boot blankets. Provides a lot of flexibility for conditions and they are usually lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaswamp

FNG
so on a Mid Novemeber hunt in Colorado with hiking mixed with sitting you guys would recommend not going with insulated boots....thanks for the info

I am looking at boots for a spring bear hunt in montana thinking about the shnees bear tooth but can’t decide between no insulation and 200 grams.
I have the Timberlines which are pretty similar to the 0g Beartooths with a little more flexible sole.

I would say that they are good down to low 30s active or low 40s still with the reasonably thick full cushion Darn Toughs I usually wear.

From when I've been in MT that time of year it seems that the weather can be a bit of a mixed bag, where sometimes it's really nice and other times there's still snow on the ground into May-June.

Given that, I would say that if you already have another pair of uninsulated boots to wear in the warm months that you should go with the 200g, if not get the 0g and just plan on bringing some extra warm socks along in case of colder weather.

Jimss

WKR
I work outdoors in Colo and don't ever wear insulated boots. I've never even owned an insulated hiking boot. If it gets real cold and I'm going to be sitting I'll put on a pair of insulated Sorels.

atrip07

FNG
If your Baiting I would get a 400g, if your hiking a ton non-insulated or a 200g if hiking in a bunch of snow.