Insulated food pouch?

Elite

WKR
I am thinking about repackaging some of my freeze dried meals. So I am looking for a insulated pouch. Wondering what everyone is using or brands to buy

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a few using the reflective foil for a car windshield reflector and duct tape (actual foil tape to be used on air ducts) and that worked well. I had a couple pinholes in my ziplock and the cooking pouch dripped at seams in the tape.

I am considering using just an empty mountain house pouch this year since that's good enough to reheat mtn house and it's free.

xcutter

WKR
I ordered one of these. Haven't received it yet but I think it will work good.

I also plan on making my meals in foodsaver vacuum bags. They are tougher than ziplocs. Hopefully this remedies the sometimes leaky ziplocs.

I just put my puffy over my food while it reconstitutes. Or my sleeping bag. Or beanie cap. It all works.

I built a pouch out of Reflectix as well. It works very good and is nice being able to pack the Mt house meals into smaller bags.

Pro tip: use freezer bags and a spoon. The dried pasta can be very pointy and you will poke a hole if they get tossed around or abused too much.

Backyard

WKR
Made mine out of a windshield reflector and aluminum tape sized for a quart freezer ziploc bag as well. I used Velcro to close the flap. But I prepare my own meals, so with every meal that I vacuum pack, I include a freezer bag that I "cook" in with it.

What does “repackaging some of my freeze dried meals” mean? I’m confused.

Open the meals up and put freeze dried food into a quart size freezer bag. Much smaller to put in your backpack and not carrying the bulky packaging for a week. ;)

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I built a pouch out of Reflectix as well. It works very good and is nice being able to pack the Mt house meals into smaller bags.

Pro tip: use freezer bags and a spoon. The dried pasta can be very pointy and you will poke a hole if they get tossed around or abused too much.

Do they freezer bags hold up to the noodles and stuff poking holes ?

They have for me. However, the meals I like are normalish noodles not the fancy spiral sharp stuff. HAHA!!

Do they freezer bags hold up to the noodles and stuff poking holes ?

They hold up well for me. The key is freezer bags, not the regular ones. I no longer use the mt house bags and just use my pouch. After adding the boiling water and letting sit for 20 minutes, the food is still to hot to eat. The meals pack smaller and there is less trash.

I have found no downsides once I switched to using a spoon.

Open the meals up and put freeze dried food into a quart size freezer bag. Much smaller to put in your backpack and not carrying the bulky packaging for a week. ;)

Ok then why is it being called insulated? Sounds like he is looking for “boil in the bag” type bags. Not sure how much space savings you get doing that. There are the Pro meals if a guy is willing to pay the extra. But if I’m right I think this is what he’s looking for ?
eb3963530f51ff712190d289e0d9af9c.jpg

The insulated pouch is what you put the quart size freezer bag in while it is re-hydrating. The pouch will stand up on its own and keeps the meal warm. You dont reuse the freezer bag but reuse the pouch with every meal.

FYI the pro meals are usually a smaller portion. I need all the calories I can get while in the back country.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I just put my puffy over my food while it reconstitutes. Or my sleeping bag. Or beanie cap. It all works.

Does anyone else just use a puffy jacket? How well does this work compared to a insulated pouch?