WTB Insulated hunting boots for Elk hunt

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I hope to do my first ever elk hunt this year. I'm starting to purchase the things I need a month at a time. 1st thing I'm looking for is a pair of waterproof insulated hunting boots in size 12 regular. I have $150 to spend. I know from the prices on here that it doesn't seem like a lot of money, but to me it is. I appreciate any consideration and looking forward to actually patrticipating in something that I've only read about.

madeleine

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought my (men's) Lowa Tibet GTX's ($395 new) on eBay for $150. I recommend looking to the second hand market. Keep in mind you'll have to break your boots in before you go busting up and down mountains. I was very happy to find the Lowas stopped giving me blisters after ~50 miles in them, likely because they were used and the last owner did most of the breaking-in.

I also wouldn't necessarily recommend insulated boots. The worst thing for your feet in the cold is for them to sweat. Budget $30 for two pairs of wool socks. Darn Toughs have a lifetime warranty. I have a serious case of Raynaud's plus recurring chillblains, and I hunted deer and elk on public land all winter in Montana wearing the Lowas. I slid Hot Hands into my socks when my feet started to get cold. Keeping your feet dry = keeping them warm.

Good luck

OP
Hamp1127

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bought my (men's) Lowa Tibet GTX's ($395 new) on eBay for $150. I recommend looking to the second hand market. Keep in mind you'll have to break your boots in before you go busting up and down mountains. I was very happy to find the Lowas stopped giving me blisters after ~50 miles in them, likely because they were used and the last owner did most of the breaking-in.

I also wouldn't necessarily recommend insulated boots. The worst thing for your feet in the cold is for them to sweat. Budget $30 for two pairs of wool socks. Darn Toughs have a lifetime warranty. I have a serious case of Raynaud's plus recurring chillblains, and I hunted deer and elk on public land all winter in Montana wearing the Lowas. I slid Hot Hands into my socks when my feet started to get cold. Keeping your feet dry = keeping them warm.

Good luck
Thank you so much. I assumed since I would be in the mountains that I would need insulated boots. My feet and hands are naturally hot anyway, so your advice is deeply appreciated. Any other tips and advice are welcome. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
My feet

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
be patient, someone on here will offer you a great used boot within your budget. I have bought a couple pair of used Schnee Beartooth boots that were well used but in great useable condition for your budget.
A good quality used boot is way better than a new lower quality boot hands down. Schnee's can be sent to them stateside to be rebuilt. I highly recommend Schnee. But there are other great ones out there. Good luck.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am going to second the advise of not limiting your choice to an insulated boot. I have them and in Idaho they were too warm before Thanksgiving. Uncomfortably too warm. I now have both and likely would not buy the insulated again. Good Luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Crispi Briksdal is a great boot with a mild amount of insulation. Can typically find deals on that either on CamoFire or Black Ovis, combined with a nice pair of socks from Farm to Feet or another outfit, and you'll be very happy. I think it's quite doable to find within your price range.

OP
Hamp1127

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your helpful information. Greatly appreciated!