Insulated mountaineering boot

ASoyring

FNG
I am looking to purchase a good insulated mountaineering boot. I currently have the crispi Nevadas but they are not insulated. Wondering what other people run?

I can get a deal on mammut boots but i am not that familiar with there boots and if they are worth it or not?

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Check out our new Hoffman 800 Gram thinsulate Explorer. Awesome boot.

Attachments

• 800 Hunter.jpg
    800 Hunter.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 27

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also take a peek at Outdoor Research’s new X gaiter; it’s a insulated gaiter aimed at mountaineering (or snowshoeing/backcountry skiing). Might be especially handy for trips where the weather is changing and/or snow depths are changing.

Im grabbing a pair for backcountry skiing and snowshoeing.

Pootros

FNG
I second the La Sportiva Nepals. They are stout but be wary of the break in period. Mine took a hundred miles and I still tape my heels. I found the key to comfort was to not lace them very tight.

OP
A

ASoyring

FNG
Thanks everyone for the input it has been helpful! I think i am going to go with the Crispi Wild Rock Plus GTX.

If it doesn't have a crampon shelf, it's not a mountaineering boot... I wouldn't buy a winter boot for the mountains without that feature.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Nepal’s are full shank mountaineering boots designed for use with crampons. They support your feet while front pointing up steep ice or mountainsides. I’ve gone through a few pairs of them and the leather might break in but the soles will always be rigid and not the most comfortable for hiking all day. They’re not exactly the warmest boot either. If you want something to hike in and keep your feet warm while glassing etc. I’d look elsewhere.

JohnB

WKR
Add me to the Nepal Evo list. Mine are left over from when I fantizised myself as an ice climber. I know there are more comfortable boots out there but these are sure great with snow and frozen ground. One of the places I chukar hunt is a 30 degree side hill with frozen river cobble all over the place. The stiff sole is very nice for that.

Decker9

WKR
I just started on a set of scarpa Mont Blanc’s, only a few km’s so far, but their fitting my feet perfectly. So far in the -10c type weather, my feet haven’t gotten chilled. Will be using them for winter goat hunts.

I did try the Nepal Cubes, amazingly solid boots, but couldn’t get them to work for my feet.
If you happen to be looking for the cubes, I have a basically new pair in size 43 for sale.

OP
A

ASoyring

FNG
Whats your intended purpose for this boot? Have you worn a full shank boot before?
Late season elk/deer hunts for now. And no I have not worn a full shank boot before. Just curios on what other people have had luck with and what different options I should maybe try.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Try a pair of the Hoffman’s with the gaiters MTWarden recommends and I’ll bet you’re happy and your feet stay warm.

mtnkid85

WKR
Id go try a pair on before you commit to full on "mountaineering" boot. Honestly I wouldn't buy any boot without trying them on first.
Unless you have a actual need to be front pointing then you are going to want a softer boot. They can be doable in soft snow, but on compact ground and rock they can be very taxing to walk in.

If your in a area that you can go try stuff on do that, if you have a mammut hook up go try them on too. Im unfamiliar with the current options but I had a pair of their lighter ice boots several years ago that where quality.

I prefer mountaineering boots to hike and hunt in also. I haven’t really had any issues with the ones I’ve tried. I have a pair of Salewa Vultur GTX that are about as stiff of a sole as I’d want. I wish the ankle support was better in the Vulturs because the rest of the boot is really good for me

I prefer mountaineering boots to hike and hunt in also. I haven’t really had any issues with the ones I’ve tried. I have a pair of Salewa Vultur GTX that are about as stiff of a sole as I’d want. I wish the ankle support was better in the Vulturs because the rest of the boot is really good for me

I've been running Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro Gtx on my late season hunts. I really like them. They have held up quite well for me, they spent a week in some pretty deep snow without any problems. Much more comfortable than the Nepal's and really not even that bad hiking flat ground. I would consider them an insulated boot but definitely on the lighter side. Never was an issue with me my feet seem to run warm anyways.

I've been running Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro Gtx on my late season hunts. I really like them. They have held up quite well for me, they spent a week in some pretty deep snow without any problems. Much more comfortable than the Nepal's and really not even that bad hiking flat ground. I would consider them an insulated boot but definitely on the lighter side. Never was an issue with me my feet seem to run warm anyways.
Interesting, I’ve been looking at the Mont Blanc also. Was kind of going back and forth with the Nepals I guess. I can get a better deal on the Nepal but I think I’d prefer the Mont Blancs haha